2013 KTM Adventure 1190

Discussion in 'Hard. Core. (1090/1190/1290)' started by goodcat8, Apr 23, 2012.

1. orange spy

orange spy diddly squat

Oddometer:

in order to prove what? what was the point of all this? I really don't get it. As if the 990 owners dream about crossing rock pilings. What I dream about, no husky 450 and no other bike for that matter can give me except the 990. which is not rock pile climbing :loco (next time try with this one: [​IMG]
    you will get better results.

and yes there are indeed a lot of 950/990 owners around the world that are using it for what it was meant to be used.

driving down a highway for 200 miles with dirt tires and not feel a thing, in order to start a serious off-roading for another 200 miles, and the next day to come back home with the same way and at the end to feel that this is routine.

unless you have the financial ability to take care of 3 bikes(including the husky).

no other bike with stock tires can do a track day and on the way home with the same tires, drive through the mountain that separates your house and the track. Or drive to work on Monday morning after the Sunday's 300 mile trail ride race.
  2. DragonNester

DragonNester Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm headed out this morning to ride 120 miles of mostly curvy slab to ride 30 miles of unpaved forest roads leading to the top of a mountain and a dam in my general area. That's what I got my 990A for...it's the best.
  3. GZERO

GZERO Fixing stuff around

Oddometer:
    A little thread highjack. Gregor care to tell that story?
    i have jumped many times with my bike and you got me thinking i shouldnt.
    Was it a bad landing? not good suspension?
    was the damaged done because of bottoming out?
  4. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:
    Post implies it was a 2003 model...these had 'weak' swingarms which were redesigned in later models.
  5. sakurama

sakurama on an endless build Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes to most of that. It was an 04 and it was my buddies. His suspension was too soft. We were on a cross country tour to the Elko rally hence the bags. We'd done a ton of silly stuff along the way like Rollins Pass which guys had tried on GS' and not been able to do. This was the crux of Rollins just before the abandoned railroad bridge. This was one of the best trips I'd done on the bike and certainly a trip no other bike could do. Rode from NYC to Elko and over this:

[​IMG]

Anyway we came to these dunes and just pulled off and started playing. He did the jump a few times but when I laid down to do some shots he hit it quite a bit harder and maybe caught more of a kick. Anyway, he flew about 40-50' about 15' up and landed perfect but the suspension compressed completely and then the rest of the forces went into the swingarm which ripped free. He broke his shoulder and flew home.

I guess my point is/was that lots of people are complaining that KTM has gone soft or isn't making a hard core bike and I don't see that. 150hp is hardcore and fair bit more than a v-strom. They can't possibly build a bike for the crazy contingent that wants to do crazy things but the new bike is certainly progress. I'm sure I'll get one at some point and I'm really looking forward to what a lot of the guys on this board are going to do to them but really, they took aim squarely in the middle of Ducati and BMW and that was a really smart thing to do.

Gregor
  6. Wesley J

Wesley J Hoser

Oddometer:
    Oh so fucking true.

I'm one of those ding dongs. I beat the piss out of my fully loaded 990 on some steep rocky singletrack a few weeks ago. Sure it can do it but why not just use the right tool for the job... Pack lighter and use a 450 if you really need to ride the stupid stuff. I'll be sticking my Giantloop on my soon to be had 300 XCW if I need to get to those spots to camp.

And by pack light, I mean haul Rum (no mix) instead of beer and leave the coffee grinder behind....

I completely understand why the 1190 is coming, the BMW is wildly successful.

Wesley J
  7. Wesley J

Wesley J Hoser

Oddometer:
    Actually, this is completely rider dependent. I have a buddy who would routinely do that on a VStrom.
  8. umitc

umitc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wonder, is there a clue from the riders of RC8 concerning the consumption? With a so called 23 liters tank and on the KTM site mentioned "low consumption", do you see a chance for a 350-400 km range?
  9. crazybrit

crazybrit Defying any self identifying

Oddometer:
    I don't see anyone - even those faux dirt warriors claiming KTM has gone soft - saying it's not a smart business choice.

I think the people who use their 9x0 mostly off-road are saying they don't need 150hp (even if you can turn it off) and would have rather had less hp and a major diet. Of course such people are a minute segment of the target market.

I think the standard (19/17") version makes total sense. It competes directly with the Multistrada/Super Tenere which inexplicably keep winning all the adventure comparisons.

Could KTM have taken a different direction for the 21/18 R version is my question.
  10. Apple Jam

Apple Jam Ride Oregon First

Oddometer:
    I think the 1190R should've been....
    ...not a different direction at all,...just maybe a little bit better aim :1drink

I think the standard 1190 is likely spot-on for it's intended audience.
  11. crazybrit

crazybrit Defying any self identifying

Oddometer:
    Like an automatic-deploying-airbag crash protection system :D

[​IMG]

Hey AJ :clap
  12. Apple Jam

Apple Jam Ride Oregon First

Oddometer:
    OOh :eek1
    They make those for bikes?
    I need one :D

Hey, CB, you coming to my Hood River Valley Rally this year?
    We'd love to have you...
  13. Jim Colombotos

Jim Colombotos Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wait for the aftermarket to come up with an exhaust re route ....at that point this new bike will be as capable as any 950 or 990 ....
    1190 is bad as hell ! Can't wait.
  14. Nomadix

Nomadix Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Standing directly above the centre of the Earth
    I doubt that one could draw a reasonable comparison. The 1190 Adv has a modified RC8 power plant in it. The cams and ECU in particular, are purpose designed/tuned, so I would expect the fuel consumption to be somewhat better than that of the standard RC8.
  15. wilmar13

wilmar13 Long timer

Oddometer:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=18982891&postcount=80

There you go...same thread.

FWIW, I have never had a whole tank where I rode miserly, and at 75mph on the highway it gets 50mpg average via comp, which always matches actual mpg.
  16. GZERO

GZERO Fixing stuff around

Oddometer:

I know what you mean, but not every country is like the other, in here to get to places is better if is on the same bike cuz hauling a bike on a pick up or trailer get too many cop attention, so we now tend to not do it.
    My KLX 450 is a fun bike, no doubt, is a GOOD toy, but many times i have found myself in the middle of nowhere doing off road easily on my 950 with a stupid grind on my face. So now, my weekends pretty much go to the KTM and the KLX haven't been that used....... that's why i'm going to sell it.

Will i regret it? probably.
    Will i really miss it? not as long as i have the KTM.

One thing i realize about the KTM, is how awesome is to go to some place with a couple of friends all thirsty of adventure, going to gnarly places, helping each other if the road is too hard, sweating like pigs and then at the end of the day being soooo tired, laughing with beers on our hands and then repeat it all over.
    With the KLX i coulnd't do stuff like that and the trails near my house are TRIAL like and you never hit anything above third (mind you third in those places is crazy like).
    My next step is going to the dunes and master the sand part.
    I'll fall, but i will get back up and when i get home i'll be very good in sand.

soooo off topic.
    Sorry.
    I'm trying to be one of the guys to go to milan and seing that bitch. Cuz to me it'll be GOOOD
  17. BOB RAMSAY

BOB RAMSAY Not in the Clique -

Oddometer:

+1 - Well said!
    Get the right tool for the job, I've heard it said.
    (and I like that big, clunky side exhaust. . . ) And I await a 890cc downsized model -

Ding-Dongs!
  18. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Previous Rider

Oddometer:
    its far more fun using the wrong tool :D

Dingalings!
  19. flux_capacitor

flux_capacitor I know a shortcut!

Oddometer:

Agreed. I love pulling out of some gnarly trail loaded up while guys on dirt bikes stare like I'm insane. Love it. You should see what l used to put my 955i Tiger through. I laugh when people tell me those Tigers are not offroad worthy.
  20. Katoom72

Katoom72 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I love being a ding dong, i like my ding dong bike and doing ding dong things with it.