2013 KTM Adventure 1190

Discussion in 'Hard. Core. (1090/1190/1290)' started by goodcat8, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:

Me neither! :freaky

But the magazine guys and the 90%ers like that stuff. :lol3
  2. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    http://hellforleathermagazine.com/2012/10/ktm-1190-adventure-r-the-real-deal/
    http://hellforleathermagazine.com/2012/10/ktm-1190-adventure-a-tall-touring-bike/

the after market is gonna make some beefy skid plates to cover the pipe and all. i'm sure black dog is planning already. i'm predicting this bike will sell very well for ktm world wide to a wide group of riders. it's about bike profit. ktm is all grown up and is shooting for much larger market share. gone are the days of bleeding edge off-road performance. they make a sport bikes & race on the track...what do expect??? progress marches on. this is the right bike for the market at this time.
  3. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is a theory, with all due respect, my friend eakins. The sales have to be there after the year ends to be sure. I thought the SE950 was a slam dunk, the SM/SMRs too, truth is they were failures as sales were concerned. I saw Advs in 950-990 languish at my dealers too. Great bikes don't mean great sales. Maybe this will be different? Nobody can know that right now.
  4. Duk

Duk Starting Over

Oddometer:

There is a fuel gauge on the LCD to the right of the analog tachometer.

I want one!
  5. HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky Goeie Grys Giftige Gert!

Oddometer:
    Very well spotted..... :thumb
  6. bikepharmer

bikepharmer Baja is on the way

Oddometer:
    I suspect your right, but looking at the center stand it will have to be a pretty interesting design to not totally kill clearance. The exhaust routing doesn't excite me, but maybe the tanks will not boil over. I hope KTM has that sorted out by now. I am intrigued by the 150 bhp, and have a recent tube failure the tubeless sound good, too.
  7. Curvesurfer

Curvesurfer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This may sell for the same reasons the other bikes did not: it appeals to a wider market.
  8. Curvesurfer

Curvesurfer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sucks for CA riders who can legally lanesplit. Bike w/panniers has a wide @ss and the right side won't hold much either.
  9. Uller

Uller Done with this BS

Oddometer:
    .................and the x-bow (along with new racing series to support sales) and mountain bikes. Next there will be an offshoot that will start making yard equipment a la Husqvarna. :lol3
  10. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:

I'll agree that it might, but lets not get ahead of the game and say it already is a runaway sucess! I guess I'm in the minority but this bike is far less appealing than what it replaces for me. Maybe we need a poll of 950-990 owners to see how many would replace their bikes with this? Like I said before, if I wanted a Ducati/BMW/Tenere, I'd own one.
  11. Chuckracer

Chuckracer Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer:
    That's exactly why I like and want this bike: I DO want a Ducati/BMW/Tenere except I want it to be a KTM.

I'm in!
  12. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:

:lol3 Like the KLRs with the BMW roundels?
  13. Meico640

Meico640 Banned

Oddometer:
    That's what I meant, but it is smaller because they now have to really compete with BMW TRIUMPH ETC, instead of being the big dirt bike that you'd rather be on in the dirt !
  14. wilmar13

wilmar13 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep!

This bike has a leg up for performance motorcyclists that ride in the real world.

MTS- stick to the pavement and has worse fueling (which it also uses more of) and less grunt

GS - can ride with grandpa on all roads also make sure you don the Aerostitch so you look like everyone else in your 20 bike group

Tenere- somehow even heavier than GS, with less power but better off road...vanilla functionality

1190 Adv - rip through twisties and broken pavement with your buddies on MTS's then leave them for dead when you rip through forest service roads to connect to more awesome roads, truly can go anywhere at a sporty pace*

*- if you live in the real world there are few places you can truly ride "off road" (paved and not), and those few places are designated trails and pay-to-visit-parks... And taking a real "ready to race" EXC there makes so much more sense, unless you are a star bucks poseur on your 9x0 bike. (I kid... Kind of)
  15. wpbarlow

wpbarlow Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I agree and celebrate that this bike will appeal to a broader audience.

But I'm at pains to understand how it's (at least the R version) less dirt worthy than the 9x0 absent any actual actual riding experience.

I hear the same whining about the exhaust routing and can, skid plate, and suspension travel. Yet these are areas where the majority of 9x0 owners have spent money to improve the 9x0's: so what's the big deal? As I've said, the 1190, equipped as many of us will accessorize them, will weigh less, be narrower, have the same or more power with the flick of a switch, have switchable dirt specific ABS and traction control, far more range, and tubeless tires, easier maintenance, etc.. At what promises to be a competitive price point.

I think the posing issue wrt this bike is being done by the people upset about losing the look of the 9x0. That's really my only beef with the 1190 and I would have preferred they kept it. I mean I like the looks of the 1190, but the 9x0 is a shape for the ages.
  16. wilmar13

wilmar13 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Agreed on the 990 being the epic Rally bike, but it is imagery and history now... That is the irony of the Starbucks slams; the 990 is the poseur bike. The 1190 is designed and marketed to be nothing but what it is, a sporty real world motorcycle.
  17. triplenickel

triplenickel Long timer

Oddometer:

We know how you feel dude let it go already. You keep praising the old LC8's but keep it in perspective you're selling yours...................... :rofl
  18. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    And I'd buy a new, better one but it would need to be lighter and have better ergos for off roading. This ain't it. :lol3

I don't see how it can be called a full blown sales sucess before it's released or even tested by a mag but hey, to each his own! I guess all the guys who are drooling should have been lined up to buy the SMt990s but they didn't???
  19. bikepharmer

bikepharmer Baja is on the way

Oddometer:
    I have not seen that the 990 is going away, only that they are adding a new member (1190) to the line up. All this talk of a by-gone era, loss of a classic, etc. and I have not heard any of that. I see the 990 competing (trouncing) with the F800GS and Tiger 800 XC. The 1190 is fitting right in there with the group mentioned, and I bet they are eat them alive to. For example, it is the only bike in that class that is chain driven (with associated pros/cons). In that class, I bet the KTM crushes the ST and BMW, MST, and Tiger explorer. I am sure they did their market research before developing the bike.

Unless I missed something, the 990 isn't going anywhere, folks.
  20. wilmar13

wilmar13 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can only speak for myself and say that the engine is just plain f*cking awesome, and since it is a MOTORcycle... Unless KTM screws it up somehow, which I don't see likely, it is going to be an awesome motorcycle. Just as you can't stop thinking how great the bikes KTM made 10 years ago are the best thing ever and this is a huge misstep, I can't stop thinking how much I wish this bike was available when I painfully debated between 990R I have always wanted and the sexy RC8R that had a great motor and purchased the latter.

The SMT is a supermoto with big tank and a bit underpowered. This bike seems to cover the gaps by adding power and giving more well rounded wheel sizing.