2012 DL 650 thumbs up or down?

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by BlueSkyGuy, Jul 2, 2011.

1. BlueSkyGuy

BlueSkyGuy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    BRP, SLD,129, 421, 50, 219,6, 33, 250, etc...
    I was expecting a 800 cc to replace both the 1000 and 650 in one scoop, but I was wrong. I was thinking Suzuki would study the aftermarket and invent a new screen and I was right. What I didn't count on was the new plastic panels which I don't think improve the "look" at all. In fact I feel that my current 2007 is much better looking than the 2012, but beauty (or lack of) is in the eye of the beholder.

I say thumbs down on looks.
  2. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    i like it
  3. bete

bete misguided adventurer

Oddometer:
    Like :clap bete..
  4. McJamie

McJamie STROMINATOR

Oddometer:
    You can't see what it looks like when you are riding it. What matters is, what will it do? Does it function better? Clearly VStrom owners( me included ) care less about looks and more about function.
    When we find out if the new one works better than the old one, then we will have our answers.
    Having said that, I will not be trading mine in any time soon. It does everything I ask of it.:dllama
  5. Stridercal

Stridercal Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looks a lot better, especially to non-riders i queried.

It will work only a little bit better than previous model, but that's why it will only cost a little bit more.

Refinements only, but at minimal cost to Suzuki, which is what they need at the moment.

Me, i like it, both for the update and the bike's clarity of purpose in the market. Add pipe to give it some personality and suddenly you have a great little machine for minimal cash...
  6. DBrentMiller

DBrentMiller Sojourn Chronicles

Oddometer:
    I like it. Also, I'm wondering if there will be two V-Stroms in my garage accessorized a little differently for different types of roads. :wink:

I can dream can't I?

Brent
  7. GrahamD

GrahamD Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's better than a new paint colour.

Suzuki has resisted the move to a bigger and heavier engine, thereby saving reading many hours of weight obsession posts.

It is theoretically slightly cheaper to run than before, still has one of the best little motors in the business, still has the proven reliability, is still very good value for money and is still one of the few bikes in the 650cc "Sports Enduro Tourer" class.

The motor is plenty powerful enough for most people and the bike actually fits most people for comfortable all day riding. It will still probably have a nap a bit more often than other bikes, but Suzuki suggests you buy a DR650 if you do more trail than road. (They sell that too by the way, it's not just a second hand bike)

So a few pluses without many unknowns thrown in to the mix. It doesn't have that "Me too" look that the Tiger ended up with and retains some individuality, even though I get asked nearly every month whether My Strom is a BMW, I think it is somewhat good that they still look like a Strom not a clone of something else.

So a sensible move at the moment I reckon.

It would be nice however to see these updates every 3-4 years in future rather than every 6-10. Most backyard amateurs could probably manage that, maybe Suzuki should contract a couple.

Cheers
    Graham
  8. MOTO DUDE

MOTO DUDE Rydin Dirty

Oddometer:
    :thumb I like it........... The tail looks better for sure.
  9. WFRTony

WFRTony Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like it. I really wanted to upgrade from my Wee to a Super Tenere, but I won't buy a motorcycle without riding one first, and there is probably a lot better chance of riding a '12 Strom than a '12 Tenere before next Summer. The $4800 price difference is also going to help me make my decision...
  10. kingofZroad

kingofZroad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I give it a thumbs up! Looks a LOT better than the 2011 and earlier versions.... I think.
  11. onefastrph

onefastrph Shut up and ride.

Oddometer:
    Like it but the changes are not significant enough for me to upgrade my 2008,
  12. lharrell79

lharrell79 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like the bike they revealed, but I'm still very dissapointed overall. When you advertise "middle-class, new motorcycle", you need to deliver a new motorcycle. I was also expecting an 800cc to fill the gap between the 650 and 1000. I personally need a bike for 2up with gear, and would like to be able to pass cars while doing it. So for now, Suzuki has lost my business.

Lucas
  13. bryantjt

bryantjt Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't understand the gripe about 2-up with gear and not being able to pass, where do you live that 90+mph isn't fast enough to pass with? Loaded 2 up with large saddlebags it is about tapped out at 95 according to the gps and our combined load was in excess of 400 lbs.:huh
  14. lharrell79

lharrell79 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I ride an FJR. I'm used to riding 2up and passing at 120. :rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl

A DL650 just isn't going to do it for me. I rode a DL1000 a week ago, and it was fun. It wasn't FJR fast, but it had plenty of power, and it was a different kind of fun. Whacking the big Vee wide open just brings a smile to my face.

Lucas
  15. ADV.John

ADV.John Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've Just done 2500miles two up in & around France. over taking vehicles running at 130kph no probs at all+ I was fully loaded too. Running at 85mph on my clocks/ sat nav 75mph = 250miles = 17ltrs of petrol. :clap:clap brill these bikes
  16. dhula

dhula Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I like it and so does my mrs.
    If we had of done a bit more research and waited a tiny bit longer we would have realised it was coming and might have waited till it was here instead of buying a 2011 wee.
    That said we both love what we have
  17. mrpete64

mrpete64 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am sure that Suzuki is like most of the bike companys...just getting buy. The cost of making an 800 cc motor is expensive. One cannot, in most cases, just bore it out and there you are.
    Cost is a big issue since a lot of people are trying to survive on less money than they made 20 years ago...in buying power.
    I'm sure this bike will be a great bike. It is what it is...dependable...and a nice ride. Looking back at the stuff I rode in the '60's....I would have "killed" for this bike when I was a young kid. Everything, today, is very good.
    If you want a "real" dirt bike...buy a KTM or something like it.
  18. Forseti

Forseti Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am real glad Suzuki didn't cave and go 800cc. Would have been a real loss. This bigger is better.... I need more power, my dick is bigger than yours attitude just kills me. The 650 is plenty of go for most riders who are interested in a Strom style bike.
    Upping the displacement would have forced an upgrade in price and insurance as well and that's not a good thing as one of the big things going for it is the cost of buying and ownership.

As far as looks... the jury is still deliberating here. I'll have to see it in person before I decide.
  19. CanadianTiger

CanadianTiger Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Love it:D.... Will be buying one (letting the Versys go)....
  20. RogerMac

RogerMac Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I like what we're seeing there. Barring a really smoking deal on an earlier model, I'm going to try to get one.