2013 Yamaha FJR

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by cabanza, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Rider

Rider Spectacularly Correct

Oddometer:
    Not me.
    Same with the ST1300.
    Motors this big with Big Torque don't need 6 speeds.
  2. univibe88

univibe88 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's a very good point. 6 speeds is more about marketing than about function. Both my car and my bike have 6 speeds, but I can't say I'm ever thankful for it. It just means extra shifting.
  3. jules083

jules083 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like it, but I don't see myself selling my 07 for one anytime soon. I have a few more dollars to spend getting mine a bit more comfy, then I'm happy enough.
  4. ferrix

ferrix Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just think that a big torque bike intended for touring like this one should have a 'cruising' gear that will allow it to cover the distance at steady 70mph or so with the engine barely ticking over. From the clips I've seen it looks like 70 in 5th corresponds to around 4,000rpm. It seems to me that engine could easily accommodate taller gearing that would place it some 1,000rpm lower at the same speed and that's why I would like to have that additional 6th.
  5. BCC

BCC I know better

Oddometer:
    The FJR has never been a bike that rang my bell. I think it's because I've preferred the Teutonic bike from which it's copied. Having said that, the improvements seem significant and I agree with the comments about a 6th gear not being needed.

Hope it sells a bunch and all y'all are happy with it!
  6. r-3350

r-3350 A.K.A. Carl

Oddometer:
    What Teutonic bike was the FJR copied from?
  7. Anteraan

Anteraan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That was my reaction exactly, before I even read your reply.
  8. jules083

jules083 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I said that to myself until I rode one. To be honest I had no interest in any of the sport tourers until I rode the fjr. I was using my zx14 as a sport tourer and my road king whenever the girlfriend came, which is most of the time. This summer I put about 2,000 miles on the ninja and 1,500 or so on the rk, with the fjr getting most of the riding.
  9. Paulvt1

Paulvt1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The new bike is seriously starting to look like my next bike. I love the look of the new instrument layout and the overall subtle restyle. I'll be able to get an extended test ride when it pops into my local Yamaha dealer. Roll on.
  10. Rider

Rider Spectacularly Correct

Oddometer:
    It probably could and I understand your point. I've always been a fan of overdrive 6th gears that save wear and tear on the engine.
    Having said that, I've seen over 48mpg at a steady 80mph in fifth, with a quick twist of the wrist separating me from going well over ton, so the motor is very happy there.
  11. BanjoBoy

BanjoBoy I like pussy

Oddometer:
    Mah FJR is @ 'bout 78 mph at 4K, the same as mah R1200ST wuz in 6th. Butt, if'n ya whack open the throttle (Ta avoid danger?) the FJR would spank it.
    And the FJR is purdie damn smooth all through the rev range, where the R1200 get purdie ruff from 43K to 'round 6K where it would smooth out again.
    I don't even kick mah FJR into 5th 'til 70 mph. T'ain't uncommon fer an FJR to exceed 200,000 miles, so me thinkz it's a purdie good, reliable package. :thumb
    Hummmm, I wonder how it would do in a top gear roll on against the C14, BMW 12, 13, and 16 GTs?

I believe he's refer'n to the K1200RS? One of mah ride'in buddies has one; they're alright, butt I sure as hell wouldn't trade him. (I like "normal" forked front ends, 'n hate whizzy brakes mahself.)
    I'll keep mah FJR thank you very much. :rilla
  12. Not Dark Yet

Not Dark Yet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Why are you making your posts difficult to read?
  13. Data

Data Chameleon

Oddometer:
    This model upgrade of the FJR has just moved it onto my "maybe" list, but I am curious about one thing. Yamaha still cautions against using a topcase and saddlebags together to "avoid the possibility of overloading the bike". Yet they promote the bike as suitable for two riders, and they sell several topcases as accessories. I understand that it isn't safe to grossly overload the bike- but it seems normal to ride with a topcase and sidecases and a passenger.

Perhaps Yamaha just wants to play it safe with a liability disclaimer ? Hopefully with a bike of this size the addition of a topcase could not create a 'last straw' situation. Does anyone have any experience to suggest that a topcase would get this bike into the "unsafe" zone ?
  14. univibe88

univibe88 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like lawyer CYA to me.
  15. Superzoom

Superzoom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I actually just skip those posts as they're too much effort to translate.
  16. Reverend12

Reverend12 Well there it is..

Oddometer:
    I have a 2009 FJR, it is almost perfect, these new tweaks for 2013 make it perfect. Freaking incredible machine!
  17. straightrod

straightrod Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think his avatar explains it.
  18. fred flintstone

fred flintstone Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1
  19. BanjoBoy

BanjoBoy I like pussy

Oddometer:
    Purdie much. When mah wife/sister 'n I travel, she packs the trunk (49 liter GIVI) 'n side cases to the gills, butt we ain't never had no problems. (I do have a Wilbers out back, the stock shock did get overwhelmed)
    I would worry 'bout the luggage; if'n ya wanta comfortable, reliable, low maintenance bike you can just ride the shit out of, the FJR iz fer you. :clap
  20. Worroll

Worroll Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's all liability stuff with topcase+saddlebags.

My dad got a used factory top case from an 80's Yamaha Venture, in almost the same exact 'black cherry' color of his 07, and made up a simple mount for it. He runs that with the sidecases all the time.