Radioman Rides the World.......

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Radioman, May 19, 2011.

1. Solarmoose

Solarmoose electric Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mark,
    I'm keeping up with your travels and great pictures. Good for warming this icy soul. The landscape has definitely changed as you ride south and its beginning to look similar to my northern eyes. What are the differences between there and the north?
    David
  2. BigDaveSr

BigDaveSr It’s All Good

Oddometer:
    Epic Report!!!! :clap:clap:clap:clap:clap
  3. rockymountainoyster

rockymountainoyster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can't tell from the pic of the critter in the fence but it was probably a guanaco...enjoying the "greased marbles"? Sorry to see that the hot spring at Puyuhuapi didn't make it...hanging glacier is amazing but hard to capture on film.....I tried numerous angles but never did get it quite right...I think the grader drivers get a little perverse macho pleasure out of watching us tip over trying to negotiate their work....adds a little spice to their otherwise humdrum day...that stuff is a real bitch...the KTM distributor for Mexico did an endo in that stuff at about 110 kph...he and the bike were a fair mess when we met up with them in El Calafate...you have some amazing stuff ahead.....it is great to re-live it through your eyes, lens and words.
  4. Jaimoto

Jaimoto Spaniard in Chile

Oddometer:
    I watch your pics, then take a look at mine from 3 years ago and some of them are exactly the same :lol3 This RR feels like travelling with you :thumb
    Loving it !!
  5. Hevy Kevy

Hevy Kevy ADDRider

Oddometer:
    Thank you for this report, ADV rocks!!:clap

Great Lakes Region Canada
  6. Radioman

Radioman Moto rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hola David! Good to hear from you!

It also reminds me of the north!! The trees are southern beech and the mountains seem to be more Jagged and rugged in places! I am in El Calafate at 50 Degree latitude.

But it is like being up north!! Loving it!!
  7. Radioman

Oddometer:
    I stand corrected. They are Guanacos that did not make it on the fence line! Thanks!!
  8. Voidrider

Voidrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Botany is a bit of a hobby of mine. I enjoyed seeing the lupines, and unless I am mistaken, it looks like parts of Chile and Argentina have as much of a problem with Scotch broom as we do here in Oregon (all those bushes with bright yellow flowers).

It was interesting to see gunnera in its native habitat - that's those broad leafed plants that look a bit like rhubarb on steroids.

Thanks for pointing out the S. Beech. They are used for bonsai a fair deal. It was nice to see them in their native land with their natural growth habit.
  9. Radioman

Oddometer:
    Left Gregories early hoping for less windy on Ruta 40. You start off with 110 miles of gravel roads. :deal

[​IMG]

We had a great morning with not too much wind, but it picked up later in the morning and we got taste of what the wind can be like! :D

At about 110 miles out the new road has a bit of tarseal so we take a shortcut over..... Dick and Diana catch a deep spot of gravel and rock. You have to be careful with the cross over as they are still working on the road, and have many barriers to keep people from driving on it until they are done. :evil Mostly better to wait until the gravel gets directed on to the new Blacktop

[​IMG]

Then it is wide open to El Calafate

[​IMG]

Ken rolling along!

[​IMG]

Just lots of open plains on Ruta 40. and wind...

[​IMG]

Some places around Tres Largos that are still under construction.

[​IMG]

The gravel varies a great deal. Hard pack, lose Marbles like stones, ridges etc.

[​IMG]

lots of work trucks. Not the dust is blowing sideways....

[​IMG]

A herd of Guanaco along the road. Was fun to see them hop the fences!

[​IMG]

we saw some of these : Darwin's Rhea (Rhea pennata), also known as the Lesser Rhea they run about 30MOH, as I rode along side of one for aways, until he ran into the fence :norton

[​IMG]

Bit of a water crossing....

[​IMG]

Riding back toward the Andes. Mt Fitz Roy in the far back. Last stop before we head into El Calafate.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yes it is windy .... but not too bad a day for us!

[​IMG]

We met up with Andy who has ridden all over the world.

[​IMG]

Andy is riding with a group of Bicycle riders who have come down from Ecuador. He is a support truck driver for them. But Ken used the time to get a picture of his KIWI with a rider who was fixing a flat!

[​IMG]

And Diana is capturing the interactions!

[​IMG]

Roadside chat

[​IMG]

We ride into town, get gas and Diana walks over and finds a great place Called Santa Monica Apartments off the main street. They have Cabanas, with Kitchens and living rooms.Going upscale now! But we are staying two nights so I splurge! It has been a great time riding with the KiWI's!!!

[​IMG]
  10. Radioman

Oddometer:
    I should have commented on the Scotch Broom. We have it in the NW and it was funny to have the smell and color from home!
  11. Radioman

Oddometer:
    So many places to see in this area. We passed by El Chaiten which is up by Mt Fitz Roy (but I will go there on my ride back up this way after Ushuaia as I am on a timeline right now).

We signed up for a Mini trek up on the Glacier including the boat ride near the glacier. Tourist Day at Perito Moreno

[​IMG]

It is one of 3 Glaciers in the world that is not receding. But it "calves" about 2 meters of ice per day. It is amazing to hear the cracking and see things falling off. The face is about 150 feet high, and 3 miles across the front. It also extends up the mountain about 25-30 KM. Amazing!

The Glacier is about 50KM west of town. The tour for 10 hours was 600 Pesos ($116 USD) and then $100 Peso entrance fee into the park. You can also just ride out to the park and see the Glacier and then take the boat, but the Mini trek was great fun and I would recommend the splurge.

[​IMG]

First stop where we start to see the Glacier, all us tourists get off to take the photo.

[​IMG]

The next stop gets you right in front of the Glacier.

[​IMG]

Here we are.... Having a great start to our day! Diana, "Ricardo", Ken and Radioman

[​IMG]

The glaciers size is really amazing ....

[​IMG]

Really cool to see.

[​IMG]

Then you get on a boat and motor up near the glacier and then land up near the glacier

[​IMG]

It is stunning

[​IMG]

We have our lunch and get ready to hike up on the Glacier

[​IMG]

Wahooo.... This is great fun!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The ice is really blue and so cool to see up close.

[​IMG]

and still try to keep perspective on how big the glacier really is

[​IMG]

We will be heading up here.....

[​IMG]

We put on Crampons to grip the ice.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On the tour, you always get to interact with other travelers from all over the world. This is Michala and Adena (sorry for the mispelled names) They are from Romania but are working as doctors in the US. Michala was holding KIWI They were great as we lots of the other travelers as they explore the world like we are doing! We had lots of laughs and time to share our stories as they day progressed!

[​IMG]

The ice holes are really blue!!

[​IMG]

Jumping with Cramp ons is a bit tricky, but Ken has the photography for jumping down.

[​IMG]

At the end of the glacier trek..... We toast as the glacier tradition. Salud

[​IMG]

Whiskey with thousnd year old ice :evil

[​IMG]

Thanks to Diana, I have some photos of myself enjoying the experience!

[​IMG]

The lovely Dick and Diana!! We have had a great time getting to know each other !!

[​IMG]

We have ridden well together, enjoyed conversations, meals and riding together!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just a couple more of the glacier.It was too cool!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another great day on the road, I mean Glacier!!

After a great day riding..... We got back to the Hotel, but I noticed a group of riders at the gas pump...... So I wandered over to say hello!
    Meet Chuck and his sons who are from Seattle!! They are down riding for a few weeks finishing up some places they missed after a 2009 ride!

:wave Pleasure meeting you guys. I will be in touch!

[​IMG]
  12. C-Stain

C-Stain Long timer

Oddometer:
    :nod What he said!
  13. AceRph

AceRph Retired slacker

Oddometer:
    Chuck is a very lucky man getting to ride w/ his boys. They'll tell his great, great grand children about riding motorcycles w/ their dad.
  14. Radioman

Oddometer:
    :thumb!! You are exactly right!! I was thinking the same things when I met them. Made passing comments to that effect! Very lucky and blessed but i could see it in his face!
  15. Radioman

Oddometer:
    **** Break from my ride report***

A good friend messaged my about her granddaughter who is a very young girl with Cancer :cry:cry:cry

She asked me if I could ask my online friends to do a simple thing. Send a postcard to her granddaughter that has cancer.

Pray, send good thoughts and send a postcard from wherever you are with a simple note to encourage her and the family.

My request!!, and I just bought some postcards in Patagonia Chile . Write a simple comment to Reese and draw ADV (oval ) around it or something like RADIOMAN is wishing you well.......:D

So sad to see young children and there families dealing with Cancer and all the realities of suffering, loss and death.

Lets share some love and encouragement!! :clap :clap:clap:clap

Thanks for your help!! Radioman

Send postcard and words of encouragement to Reese and her family!

Reese
    Box 356
    Wylie, TX 75098

[​IMG]

Family Web site

http://www.thisyearslovewilllast.com/2012/11/the-worst-5-days-of-my-life.html
  16. BELSTAFF

BELSTAFF ADV NOMAD

Oddometer:
    Done deal dude!!!
  17. SavannahCapt

SavannahCapt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Done
  18. joenuclear

joenuclear Still here....

Oddometer:
    the Ozark, Boston, Kiamichi and Ouachita Mnts
    Done
  19. Radioman

Oddometer:
    :thumb Thanks to anyone who takes a minute to do this!!

I will get mine in the email soon!

[​IMG]
  20. LadyDraco

LadyDraco KillerSmileIHazIt !!

Oddometer:
    You bet Mark ...
    Done !!!! :thumb