Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2015, 10:29 PM   #2161
sideup
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman_spiff View Post
Make sure to get longer bolts too. I got some 35 mm instead of the 30 and they fit great!
Also, if you have access to a welder you could get the gap between the upper and lower mount filled in. I went overboard with my welding and it could have been much simpler if I just did that.
Make them look more like the touratech lower mount.
Shouldn't take a welder more than 20 min to fit and weld in some pieces there. And would definitely make them bullet proof.
Heck, if you find yourself down in CA swing by and I'll do it for ya!
Thanks , great advice, thanks for the offer.
Sherco 290 ST
sideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 06:20 AM   #2162
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by sideup View Post
Not sure if you have the Magadans yet, but if you thought the backcountry 35 are big the Mags are at least 5 liters bigger per side. Andrew bought my Mags and his goal was too not have to carry a tail bag. That's why he like the Magadans. Held more. Looks like Andrew builds some nice racks. Post some photos of you setup with his racks.
Yeah, they're a little bigger, but they can be adjusted much better, and I prefer the fabric used. I also wanted something like this to eliminate the top bag. Not a slam on Mosko. I really admire those guys. Just not the best product for me. Hey, we're lucky to have so many choices!

I'm still waiting on my 2015. Andrew has built my racks and they should ship soon. Once I get the bike and racks, I'll post the setup. It's going to be sweet
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 02:31 PM   #2163
steveoch
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by sideup View Post
You guys got me thinking about placement of the Mosko bag on my rally raid racks. Started looking at moving them forward. Ahh yes the quarter turn latch at the top, the bug a boo doesn't allow to move them foreward much more than I have them now. Started thinking ,which is dangerous, if that latch wasn't placed at the spot I could virtually move that mounting plate anywhere on the rack. Took the latch off and easily moved them four or five inches forward and four inchs lower as they just follow the contour of the rack. As for the latch I can relocate it to another location or I remember Pete at Mosko told me they had prototyped a rubber pull latch, a smaller version of a jeep hood latch. That latch may be a better application for the this. I will post some photos when I relocate them. As for the weight , were are talking small difference , what three ? pounds per side maybe over the Magadans. If I lost my excess weight I would have a net much lighter ,right;). Thanks for making me re-examining my Mosko moto mounting plate placement.
There has been many conversations regarding placement using RR Racks. Here is what I am considering. As you can see, the mounting plate is about parallel with the front brace of the rack. I am using two existing holes on the rack. The top of the plate is just above the top brace allowing easy access for removal. I took it out for a spin and there is plenty of leg room. With this placement, it moves the bags forward and about as low as you can get. Also, it moves the weight more towards the lower brace mount which will eliminate stress on the frame versus when the placement is much higher.

Your thoughts?

steveoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 03:41 PM   #2164
sweetlou
small body, big balls

Oddometer: 1,283
Installed my nomadic tail rack. Very impressed with fit and finish and the price can't be beat.
sweetlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 04:21 PM   #2165
Vegas Mike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveoch View Post
There has been many conversations regarding placement using RR Racks. Here is what I am considering. As you can see, the mounting plate is about parallel with the front brace of the rack. I am using two existing holes on the rack. The top of the plate is just above the top brace allowing easy access for removal. I took it out for a spin and there is plenty of leg room. With this placement, it moves the bags forward and about as low as you can get. Also, it moves the weight more towards the lower brace mount which will eliminate stress on the frame versus when the placement is much higher.

Your thoughts?

Great looking setup there.. Have you ridden with it in that location? As long as your boots don't interfere with the bags. It seems like a perfect spot to have them low and forward.

Also, what tail rack is that.. And does it mount up no problem with the RR racks??
Vegas Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 05:06 PM   #2166
steveoch
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Mike View Post
Great looking setup there.. Have you ridden with it in that location? As long as your boots don't interfere with the bags. It seems like a perfect spot to have them low and forward.

Also, what tail rack is that.. And does it mount up no problem with the RR racks??
Yes, I did take it for a ride on the street today and there is PLENTY of room when sitting or standing!
The rack is a Nomadic Rack and fits nicely with the RR Rack.

Old 01-24-2015, 05:58 PM   #2167
XB12R
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,213
Quote:

What stand is that and does it easily lift the bike?

2010 BMW R1200GS, 2010 Ducati Monster 1100S, 2013 KTM 690 Enduro, 1985 Beta TR32, 1968 BSA 441 Victor Special
XB12R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 06:01 PM   #2168
spaceman_spiff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 536
Quote:

Your thoughts?
Make sure to get some fender washers on the lower mounts on that rack
spaceman_spiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 06:07 PM   #2169
steveoch
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB12R View Post
What stand is that and does it easily lift the bike?
It does the job! It has a weight limit of 320# but for safety reasons you can safely exceed this by ~10+%. Google this and you will find a link.

DRC Red/Black HC2 Lift Stand D36-38-312
Old 01-24-2015, 06:08 PM   #2170
steveoch
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman_spiff View Post
Make sure to get some fender washers on the lower mounts on that rack
Thanks, I will.
Old Yesterday, 10:18 PM   #2171
XB12R
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by XB12R View Post
My last dual sport was a WR250R. I bought Wolfman racks for it than welded a sheet metal plate to it so I could mount a RotoPax to it like this.

I wanted something similar for my 690 so I procured some 1/4" aluminum plate and made these. I'll mount these with 8 Adel clamps. Keep in mind I'm using aircraft Adel clamps not the Home Depot type. Adel type is way heavier (1.8mm as opposed to .8mm) and should hold up to off road abuse. There's ready made plates available on the aftermarket but I don't like the way they mount.

I'll post the completed pictures later, I'm waiting for the clamps in the mail.

Update: I had a little time to work on this. Armed with a file and hack saw I cut the corners out. The plate looks heavy but I plan on cutting more material out. I might go with the 1.75 gal RotoPax so it needs to be strong.

2010 BMW R1200GS, 2010 Ducati Monster 1100S, 2013 KTM 690 Enduro, 1985 Beta TR32, 1968 BSA 441 Victor Special
XB12R is offline   Reply With Quote