2014 Roaming Rally & Canadian Rally Challenge

Discussion in 'Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carp' started by Deadly99, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Once again www.GravelTravel.ca is going to host the Roaming Rally. 2014 will mark the fourth year this event has taken place. Each year we try to improve the rally based on lessons learned from previous years...so 2014 has some changes.

2014 has three rallies. The traditional Roaming Rally. A more laid back rally focused more on mileage than rough terain, The Explorers Edition of the Roaming Rally. The third rally is The Canadian Rally Challenge. The CRC is a roadbook navigational challenge, the first of its kind in Canada.

Please see www.GravelTravel.ca for more information.

Cya in the new year

:freaky

Roaming Rally

[​IMG]

Roaming Rally - Explorers Edition

[​IMG]
  2. Boatman

Boatman Membership has it's privileges ;-) Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  3. Stagehand

Stagehand Imperfectionist

Oddometer:
    Holy crap! I have to choose? Shite!
  4. Boatman

Boatman Membership has it's privileges ;-) Supporter

Oddometer:

Why choose???? Do both. Sounds like fun either way. :freaky
  5. UngaWunga

UngaWunga Mosquito bait

Oddometer:
    <twitch>
  6. Stagehand

Oddometer:
    Oh wait a sec, i am reading on my phone- i dont have to choose :) ok im in! Lets see if i can read a roadbook better than a thread!
  7. hardwaregrrl

hardwaregrrl Can't shoot straight Supporter

Oddometer:
    Holy cow!!!!! :lurk
  8. UngaWunga

UngaWunga Mosquito bait

Oddometer:
    Yes! Do both!
  9. rinho

rinho Rinho Féroce

Oddometer:
    back in France but Soul still in North America
    I was thinking about writing a roadbook for the RR2014... your project is even better!
    Hope I Can ride it on a 950!
  10. pelvis_98

pelvis_98 Havin A Time

Oddometer:
  11. kenny61

kenny61 old and crippled

Oddometer:
  12. MZcountryboy

MZcountryboy Long timer

Oddometer:
    "the route is UN-DOABLE"

:lol3
  13. Gundy

Gundy Long timer

Oddometer:
    So is the main route two-up friendly? My chances of attending go way up if so....
  14. guymanbro

guymanbro da Vermonster

Oddometer:
    Hmmmmm.. . . We'll have to see how next year shapes up, but this Canadian Tire Rally Challenge (:lol3) is shaping up nicely.
  15. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Roaming Rally route is a tamed down version of previous years. gravel roads and easy two track...but way out in the middle of nowhere :deal

Fuel distances will be far and few between :nod

In a few spots...300 km from the nearest paved road.

Two up? I wouldn't want my wife on the back but for someone who doesn't mind bumping down 600 km of gravel roads in a day, day after day...doable.

A few cool things along the way like a hand drawn ferry over a river, big wide open sandy roads for hundreds of kilometers at a time...different than years past. Easy but longer, much more remote (aka bailing out isnt really an option in certain places). Still 3 good days of riding and camping. A chunk of the route utilizes the TCAT...

The route is perfect, I think, for what adv bikes need to be. Nimble enough for a splash or two of excitement, fuel capacity, reliable for remote areas (towing your buddy for 300 km of gravel roads is gonna suck....and ya know someone is gonna end up doing it :wink: ), able to carry tools, gear, etc...challenging in length each day, day after day....should be fun :D Its not a dual sport route , rather an adv style of route if that makes sense? I'd say last years route was a dual sport route.

A few logistics left to sort then we'll be good to go for exact details :freaky
  16. avsjack

avsjack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ah man, it looks like me and my buds don't fit into either of those categories. I don't have a big bike capable of long distances and I don't have a rally/road book equipped bike and support crew.

I've been looking forward to next year's rally ever since I spent 3 hours riding home in the rain this year, it was such a great experience, and it's such a shame to hear that it's not happening again. The terrain and challenges were just perfect!

Maybe it's time to get a second bike....
  17. Stagehand

Oddometer:
    So- just thinkign out loud:

Waste oil on a five day trip will be something to think about. I suppose carrying one gallon of oil and a one gallon empty in the orga truck, and slowly pouring the good oil into the empty container using the bike as a funnel is the trick?
  18. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Org will dispose of used oil for the CRC :thumb

Org will carry up to two large duffle bags per rider if they don't have a support team.

All food and accommodations will be included in entry fee. 4 nights camping (supply your own camping gear) and one night in a lodge.

The CRC will have staff, trailers for broken down bikes and so on. The price is being set based on cost to run it. We are aiming to put on a professionally run, competitive rally that is challenging in both navigation and in length. The winner won't likely be the fastest but rather the person who makes the least mistakes while keeping a decent pace and doesn't have any issues (watering out bike, breaking downs, getting lost, etc)

For those who don't wanna spend huge bucks on a full on rally setup (tower, roadbook, ico, etc) Rally Management Services sells a manual roadbook holder that attaches to a cross bar on your handlebars $125. Not as slick as an electronic one but would let you participate without blowing the bank :nod An odometer that is adjustable would be a huge bonus (stock on several ktm's, drz's, etc. A GPS capable of tracks (60 series, Montana, etc) along with a spot tracker and fuel tank capable of 250 (tbd) km's and your good to go :pynd

For first timers to a roadbook navigational rally some equipment is required but it doesn't have to cost a fortune :thumb

Of course if you want to spend some bucks, RMS has a slick setup that will attach to almost any bike for $750....

The terrain for the CRC is very similar to last years day one of the Roaming Rally. Take four of those days and put them back to back and that's about what you can expect from the CRC. The first day is a check in day (bike inspection, waivers, riders meeting and a short warm up stage so folks can get used to the format...doesn't count in competition) Without question it will be physically demanding to finish, both bike and body.

A 250cc to 700cc bike would be suitable. A 950 would be a challenge but doable in the right hands. We can't really say what the perfect bike would be, some long liaisons on paved and gravel roads along with technical off road riding makes bike choice a personnel decision.

Before the end of the year we should have all details sorted out and posted :thumb
  19. timwicked

timwicked Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :clap:clap
  20. ecarnell

ecarnell Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Where's this going to fit in with the Dacre Dual Sport Challenge and negotiations with the wife....