GSXR 600/750/1000 Touring: Technical & Moral Support

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by alohagirl, Mar 7, 2013.

1. rico2072

rico2072 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
    I am really studying and testing. I have never taking a long trip on my bike. 300 mile days, yes, but over night touring, no.
    A little info about me, 40 years old, riding sport bikes for almost 21 years, 6'2, 240, so it isn't the best fit, but I LOVE my bike and can't let go of her. I did consider a VFR 800, but coudn't bring myself to selling mine. I also have a KLR 650 I plan to ride to Alaska from my house in Tampa, Fl.
    [​IMG]
  2. alohagirl

alohagirl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On those foot pegs, after the install, how did your foot line up with the brake pedal and the shift lever?

Just ran into a snag with the Vario pegs. They stick out too far in relationship to the brake pedal and shift lever :(:

So, am now researching rearsets... Driven looks like they have the most adjustability downward, but I'm not sure yet (I need to make some calls and do more research:). I'd like 1/2-1 down.
  3. Dalmatino

Dalmatino Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well you have bought the finest sport bike out there :clap

You may try and ask one of the smaller US companies like Attack or Apex (excellent choice of adjustable clip-ons) to build you a custom set of rear-sets that have a few lower positions for the foot pegs.

Other choice is to find a machine shop tha will fabricate you a custom foot pag hanger/plate to your nead and use all your other stock parts. This would be cheaper (pending on machine shop)...I have done this myself before.

Also theres a real neat way of making a platform/bag hangers that clip in to the passenger seat spot on the bike(need to use a passenger seat platform for support). I'll try and dig out a pic for better explanation.

I've toured on sport bikes for years and love it. My lower back has never liked anything that made me slouch even one little bit.

Enjoy...love that 36...It's been a few years, but soooon :D
  4. Dalmatino

Dalmatino Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Heres an example just to give you an idea of the seat rack.

http://www.omniads.co.uk/cars-vans-...ycles-accesories-styling/luggage-rack-111417/

In my opinion this is not a very appealing product but I've seen some very nice ones custom made and inexpensive. At some point, time permitting this year, I plan on building one for my SV1000. I really like this idea because the weight is centralized and does not interfere so much with aggressive canyon riding. I also have the Apex 3" rise adjustible clipons...love them.
  5. alohagirl

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Just got back from a ride out Highway 36 here she from today "in the wild" at the top of South Fork Mountain:
    [​IMG]
  6. Tom-Nor

Tom-Nor Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer:
  7. alohagirl

Oddometer:
  8. waveydavey

waveydavey happy times!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had one of those on a Buell Thunderbolt that I toured on for a few years. It is a good system.
  9. BanjoBoy

BanjoBoy I like pussy

Oddometer:
    My main man Stud-SIN has no problem grinding out a 700 mi day on a stock GSXR 750. ('til the cops get him! :lol3 )

[​IMG]

I know a gurl who used ta ride a duc. :D

[​IMG]
  10. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 The only easy day was yesterday...

Oddometer:
    I have 50k on my SV1000R and had to give it up due to neck problems. :cry

There is a gal in my favorite riding group that has a 2007 GSXR 750. I still remember her passing me in the twisties about 70 mph 5 years ago. :eek1

There is so much out there (especially on these forums) that can make the ride so much more comfortable. You will be just fine. :wink:
  11. Tom-Nor

Tom-Nor Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thers no problem to travle with a GSXR even thoug som old grumpy men cannt understand it.
    Just remember to move around and somtimes just stand up while riding so you get your blood moving around. Of course you need more breaks then a goldwing driver need.
    Even if i have a more touring bike then you, i try to avoid highways, i get much more mentaly and physical tierd on highways then i get on backroads.
  12. rico2072

Oddometer:
    I haven't put them on yet.
    I'm waiting to do the mods once I get my KLR back from the shop.
    I'll let you know once I do it.
  13. hoax

hoax Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've got an 03 Gixxer 1000 with Apex clip-ons. Couldn't be happier with them. Although the amount of rise is fairly limited with the stock cables.
  14. 7days1shower

7days1shower Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So glad to see this thread. I own a K7 GSXR600

I'm embarking on a similar mission...just with baby steps.

So far I have only done a 4day (3000 kilometre) trip

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=743848

In a couple of weeks I am riding from Sydney to Cairns (approx 6000kms) for a bit of a longer ride.

My bike is unmodified for comfort. It is actually the bike I used s mytrack bike so has better pads, braided lines and some other bits. I am not changing anything for comfort at this stage, just going to put my standard pipe back on, as the aftermarket is too loud to listen to for days on end.

Ive been fascinated by the Raven R1 luggage setup for a while now and really want to look into hard side cases for mine but for now am going to use a tank bag and just ordered this

http://www.mcnews.com.au/Testing/Kriega/Kriega.htm

My intent is to tour internationally next year for 1-2 years. So would love to see what kind of mods you do as I may be able to consider some too ! I really have no idea about touring....I just like riding and seeing new places :)
  15. rico2072

Oddometer:
    DAM IT MAN! Most of the pictures of your trip wont come up!!!!! lol
  16. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    For medical reasons eh??? I like your style!!!

There is a guy who went around the world on his R1 and he is my role model I just will do it on the other spectrum of the cc's

YOu GOOO!!!

Damasovi
  17. 7days1shower

7days1shower Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Sorry man. Looks like Facebook changed the links on me. I have fixed up all the images again :)

Here is a couple of my favourites.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sjaak is my idol too !!!

Thi sis just one of his videos. Freakin amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThO-w9SCM8I

Also check out the Facebook page for his current Polar Ice project

https://www.facebook.com/R1SjaakPolarIceRide

[​IMG]
  18. ECN-ROL

ECN-ROL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't know why you would be embarrassed to ride a sport bike. You have great handling and brakes, and light weight. Puts a cruiser to shame. Have ridden a couple of cruisers with the usual cow horn bars, and never felt in control. It's no wonder that in the last few years, now that there is a propensity of cruisers riding through Deals Gap, I tend to find the crashed bikes, are cruisers. Who in their right mind wants a bike weighing 800 plus lbs. that can't be leaned over, and is hard to control with stupid handle bars (flame away you cruiser riders). I have seen some decent cruiser riders riding through the Gap, but the majority of them shouldn't even be on the road their skill is so limited.
  19. ECN-ROL

ECN-ROL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought some rearset plates off ebay. The stock rearsets just bolt onto the plates (which are bolted to the stock rearset position) so the brake and gearshift angle does not change. They were designed to be 1" back and 1" up. I just turned them upside down and drilled some extra holes to vary the positions. Paid about $40.
  20. Süsser Tod

Süsser Tod Long timer

Oddometer:
    :rofl

You seriously have no clue. If anything, the GSX-R 600 and 750 are the most comfortable of the current race replicas. Want uncomfortable race replicas? Try the Daytona 675 and the R6.

At least you didn't vomit the usual "it has no soul/character".