CannonTracks - WI Rustic Roads Patch

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Central, Texas & Gulf States' started by Cannonshot, May 9, 2007.

1. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    The State of Wisconsin offers motorcyclists a special patch for completing rides on 10 designated rustic roads. If a rider completes rides on 25 different designated rustic roads, he/she receives a special certificate from the state.
    [​IMG]

Basically, what is required is that you take a picture of your bike in front of the Rustic Road sign that has the route designator (i.e. R 10) on it. When you get 10 roads documented, send in the proof and get the patch.
    Information is available at Rustic Roads Award Program for Motorcyclists.

Where are all these Rustic Roads you ask? You can find them on the web site (Wisconsin's Rustic Roads) or in a booklet available at most travel information centers.

Since it is somewhat difficult to thread a route that includes these designated rustic roads together, I have prepared six GPS tracks for your convenience. Ride any one of the tracks and document the rustic road signs, and you will qualify for a patch. I prepared routes for that will serve people from the following areas:
    Milwaukee/SE WI
    NE IL
    NW IA, SE MN, and SW WI
    Minneapolis Area, NE WI
    Madison area, south central WI
    Fox Valley/Green Bay area

I often included more sightseeing than just traveling from rustic road to rustic road in each of the routes. If you are looking for a ready made day ride, download the track, ride the route, document the rustic road signs with your motorcycle, and collect the patch.

Have fun!

CannonTracks - WI Rustic Roads Patch | Page 3 | Adventure Rider (advrider.com) Downloads now start with this post.
  2. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
  3. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    mike white likes this.
  4. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
  5. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
  6. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
  7. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
  8. cjracer

cjracer AWD please!!

Oddometer:
    Thanks Brian, Great info as usual.:clap

I've heard about this, but never looked into how this works.

I took Brian's file and added waypoints for the start and end of each Rustic Road in that patch. I'm taking a trip this weekend and I thought that may help me find out where the routes are closest to where I'll be.

Hope you don't mind Brian. :)
    I'll post more as I finish them.
  9. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    I think it is a great idea to mark the roads! It will get a little more complicated on some though, as they are sometimes a little web of short roads instead of a single end-to-end ride (that is why there is some backtracking on the tracklines). It is probably a good idea to take the booklet along (or the route pages from the web) so you know what you are looking for in case the road is not clearly signed.:D
  10. SkiFastBadly

SkiFastBadly A beer? Yes, please

Oddometer:
    Aw, man

Posts like this make me miss living in Wisconsin.

Thanks.
    JayElDee likes this.
  11. cjracer

cjracer AWD please!!

Oddometer:
    I will take the book along also, The first one I added way points to worked out well, matching up w/ your track. This way I can be zoomed out and tell about where the roads are located.

I had just started putting a few in Map source last month, but never got back to it. Now you go and do this and make it so much easier for me.:D
  12. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Makes it easier for everyone . . .

I started to do a track just for myself and then realized how obscure some of these roads are and how hard it is to tie a few together in a ride. Oh well, as long as I was doing it, might as well take care of a bunch of other folks as well. Tried to include some other entertainment on the tracks too.
  13. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Rode this track today. Took about 6-7 hours with lunch/gas/etc. Knocked off 15 designated Rustic Roads (have to go back and relook - picked up one not on the list . . .R86). Lots of good riding on the route.
  14. digme

digme n00b

Oddometer:
    awesome thread. again, you are the man. I will try to do the madison one soon (although I'll likely break it into two loops).
  15. Powershouse

Powershouse Flower Sniffer

Oddometer:
    I've attached a gpx file which includes all of the Rustic Routes as individual routes. A "G" after the route number indicates the road is gravel; "PG" indicates a mix of paved and gravel. If anyone finds problems with the routes, let me know and I will revise them.

Kevin

Attached Files:

16. Bernie Echt

Bernie Echt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for making up this files. They will come in real handy.:clap
    By the way, which part of Wisconsin is more interesting to ride in?
    The SW area along the Mississippi?
  17. Old Pa

Old Pa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yesterday morning, I rode the section of this loop north of I94 out of Bloomington, MN. Nice ride once you get off the slab, but both HWY8 and HWY64 have lots of commercial traffic. Two things about yesterday: Friday is evidentally trash day in the WI north woods and trash haulers enjoy the Rustic Roads as much as riders do. Especially the sections with short event horizons.:mrskbasa Second thing was this was the middle of the Labor Day regional garage sale, seems it's tradition that the daughter with the new driver's license drives the family mini van between garage sales. :huh Lots of opportunities for practicing evasive manuvers. Gentlemen, start your engines! :ddog
  18. DualDog

DualDog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am inquiring since I do not have a GPS. I am interested in the South Central Loop in Wisconsin. I see the Rustic Roads listed in order. Is there a way to find the route this takes from one Rustic Road to the next (on hard copy) as I am unable to download this without a GPS.
  19. Old Pa

Old Pa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here's what I would do. I would get hold of copies of the Wisconsin Rustic Roads guide (free from Wisconsin Tourism) and Delorme's Wisconsin Atlas. You want to read the descriptions of the individual rustic roads and decide if you are happy with the road surfaces described. Then I would photocopy the Delorme pages with the Rustic Roads and highlight the individual rustic roads. The routes between them sort of rises up out of the highlighted copies when you look at them.

This is not a ride I would like to take tonight (1/29/08); -10F with a blizzard rolling in and I35 closed at Owatonna, but I really appreciate somebody else sitting out here in the dead of winter who can only think about getting back riding. My best to you.:D BTW, I graduated from Knox in 1974. Peace. love dope!:jump
  20. Cannonshot

Oddometer:

Posted maps to the thread. You will still want the DOT Rustic Road pamphlet.