what size to get for a big guy?

Discussion in 'Trials' started by trex300, Nov 17, 2011.

1. Bent_boot42

Bent_boot42 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just got my '04 sherco 290 early this year, I am 6' and 200-210lbs. I would recommend the sherco and the bigger engine size. sherco seems to make a pretty tough bike, I have watched my bike fall down some nasty hills and bounce off some rocks and never a problem. The bigger engine is good for a noob like myself (if you have previous experience with throttle control, I ride a CBR 600) because, as stated earlier, it is nice for the hill climbs and it is harder to stall. Also having tons of torque right off idle is very convenient and lets you get away with not fanning the clutch as much.

Smaller people *might* have trouble starting my bike but I find it dead easy... two kicks from cold, one kick when warm, never a problem.

I wouldn't get the bar risers right away, I felt like I wanted some when I got the bike but was advised to try and get used to the bike's geometry (after properly setting up bars and controls)... This worked and I no longer feel the need for risers.

I have ridden my bike on trails as well as trials and while I much prefer riding trials the trail riding on a modern trials bike is still great fun and totally do-able with a numberplate gas tank or a couple of gas bottles strapped on somehow.
  2. rokhopr

rokhopr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Why not a Hebo Auxiliary Gas Tank 1100cc capacity, mounts to forks. Siphon fed from the breather tube. [​IMG]

"it will take time to adapt, no matter what trials bike/size you decide on, even if you follow certain people who think smaller is better" I think Sting is talking about me 6'5" \ 200 lbs. Ride a Beta 200 at 600' - 1000' altitude. The smaller engine does force you to have better technique, which you may not be ready for. Probably better to get a bigger engine and plonk around on it first. I've made it up short steep hills my buddies on GG 300's have come sliding down (technique) however the longer power robbing hill climbs are a challenge but I don't like those on a big or small bike. At altitude I'd want more bike - 270+.

To me the choice of a 270 vs 200 was do I want to spend my riding time\energy trying to control a bike that has more power than I need versus do I want to spend my time\energy working on improving my riding technique riding a bike that has enough power to do everything I'm going to ride and the 200 won out. I still have the 270 in the garage for altitude but the 200 is my bike of choice for everything we ride around here. Just have to let go of your ego to downsize. If someone made a 550 trials bike it would probably sell like hotcakes in U.S.