How do you sit on your bike?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Colorado_Rider, Mar 9, 2014.

1. little foot

little foot seriously not serious

Oddometer:
    ^ wtf?
  2. Earth Rider

Earth Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    *cough* FREAK *cough*
  3. jmq3rd

jmq3rd .

Oddometer:
    I'm usually pretty close to the tank. I have short legs and arms and a long torso. Combines to mean that I am leaning forward more than most, so bar risers actually put me in a similar posture to most riders without bar risers.

For riding aggressively I could take them or leave them, but for just farting around the risers make it more comfortable. I don't really notice much impact on handling, other than 2 or 3 minutes to get used to the change.
  4. bogey78

bogey78 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I ride a second gen bandit and I have to sit as close to the tank as possible. I'm short and have short arms to match. I see the custom seats and they look very comfy but I know I can't sit 2-3 inches away from the tank to get my butt in the "pocket" on those aftermarket seats. I do, however, want some 1" risers on my bike just for a little more comfort. It all depends on a person's height and proportions.
  5. Griffin44

Griffin44 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm an old guy, been riding about 35 years. And I'm tall, 193 cms. Mostly sport bikes.

First thing I do with a new bike is drop the bars, not raise them. Makes it much more comfortable for me.

I keep back a bit from the tank and grip with my knees. Also, I rest my slight belly protrusion on the tank hump, much of the time. I ride 12 hour days on a BMW S1000RR and comfy as hell. No numb bumb and no arm aches or back problems. And the RR's seat has virtually no padding. Interestingly, I am prone to lower back pain and riding my bike is a cure, not a cause.

I don't know why this works for me. Not many people seem to be the same, including friends that are built the same as I am. But lower bars is the biggest ergo improvement I can do to a bike.
  6. orangebear

orangebear Long timer

Oddometer:
    I now ride sports bikes so I sit right forward as it more comfortable to reach the clip ons.
  7. Bultaco206

Bultaco206 Back-to-back motos suck Super Moderator Supporter

Oddometer:
    :rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl
  8. fast1075

fast1075 Not a Lemming

Oddometer:
    I have very short arms, and as a result, I am forced against the tank. It has always been so on every bike. Also, the seats slope towards the tank.

The trick is to wear garments that properly support the tender bits.
  9. Sun Ray

Sun Ray Polyglottic Moran

Oddometer:
    Pretty comfortably, I must admit. But as the hours of riding increase you're going to get uncomfortable, no matter the bike or the seat. I've had all kinds of solutions, but the answers was eventually always the same, damn, my ass/wrists/knees hurt. It's the dilemma of long distance and you can make it a little more comfortable by buying a new seat and bar risers, but ultimately even with that you're going to still feel it. You want to be comfortable? Buy a nice hammock and drink a beer near the beach, after a full day ride of course. :D
  10. randyo

randyo Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  11. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:

I like sitting upright and not hunched over like a Labrador retriever mounting a Pug.
  12. Colorado_Rider

Colorado_Rider Banned

Oddometer:
    OK now we're getting somewhere, glad I'm not the only one Up front is what makes 'em handle.
  13. tkent02

tkent02 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's just basic posture 101, isn't it? Whereever you sit your posture needs to be correct for it to work.
  14. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    That no-handing chick is crazy...in a ridiculously hot kind of way. :lol3
  15. Dirty bike

Dirty bike EricV

Oddometer:
    It's a sport bike thing. When you grow up, you'll understand. (btw, growing up is not related to age).

BMW S1000RR...:rofl:rofl:rofl Glad you're enjoying it. I know a few guys like you that would prefer to lower the bars on every bike they buy. A few.
  16. CopaMundial

CopaMundial Wow, that broke easy

Oddometer:
    Just stay away from the tailpipe.
  17. Idle

Idle Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  18. doxiedog

doxiedog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Your riding possion depends on the size,
    Of your beer gut !
    I.m still up on the tank, :)
  19. DudeClone

DudeClone Long timer

Oddometer:
    i am finding myself as far up on the seat as possible with my knees placed perfectly around the tank. fairly upright position as i have a good, long reach. but i scoot back to shift my weight and relax a bit with a lean forward. i find the further up seating position to heat my nuts pretty well when the "cooling" (lol cooling) fan kicks in so i may slide back a bit on a warm day, and stay put for nice, toasty junk on cold days :D

i like the handlebars of the FZ6. makes finding a good position easy
  20. tyrsmkkyle

tyrsmkkyle off the ground.

Oddometer:
    St louis mo, by the big place with airplanes
    man that bike makes it on all kinds of boards lol, ive seen it many times in person, outside a biker bar in mo, off 94 near the katy trail parking lot . I seen it on 270 once, looked just as stupid on I 270 as it did in the parking lot. I cant help but look as i go by and wonder how long one can ride it before theyre shoulders fall asleep?