1984 XL600R Build

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by brucifer, Feb 4, 2012.

1. brucifer

brucifer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Okay, I'm going to document, as well as I can, the restore/modification of my '84 XL600. It will be a long, drawn out process I'm sure as I don't get to work on it as much as should and, as always, money is tight.
    I plan to add a little newer suspension and brakes as well as engine impovements all the while keeping it looking like an '84 XL600.
    Some of you may know this bike from my thread over on TT but if you don't and would like to see where I started on this bike, go over to TT and click on the XR600/650 forum and search out XL600R/XR650L Hybrid thread. http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/503953-xl600rxr650l-hybrid/page-1?hl
    Alright, we'll pick up where I am now.

I stripped the bike down to the frame and did a few mods. First I test fit an XR650L swingarm and it was a virtual bolt-on deal. Then, eyeballed the position for the rear brake pedal pivot and master cylinder bracket and tack welded them in place. I then took the frame to work and had my boss' son weld them up for me. I ended up doing the pivot twice because I wasn't happy where I had positioned it the first time.
    A few pics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The shock I'm hoping to use is from a 1988 XR600 that I purchased from an inmate.
  2. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bruce,

Don't forget to install the rear brake master cylinder reservoir mounting bracket.

And if your going to powder coat the frame wash out the oil tank first.
  3. brucifer

brucifer Long timer

Oddometer:
    For the front end, I was going to keep the XR650L assembly I had installed earlier but then I found a complete minus the wheel '93 CR500 fork assembly on ebay and decided to go that route.
    After I bought it I was told that the '93 stuff wasn't really that great of a setup. Oh well. It's what I have and will work fine for now. I can always change it out later if I'm not happy with the results.
    To install it on the XL, I had to swap the stem for one from an '84 CR500. I just happened to have a triple assembly for an '84 CR5 lying around and the stem happened to be what was needed. Just had to machine a bushing for the lower clamp to stem interface.
    Pics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After the test fitting, the frame and top motor mounts were taken to the powder coater. I also rattle canned the triple clamp assembly. Strangely enough, they came out nice. :lol3
    The frame came out awesome. More pics later.
  4. brucifer

brucifer Long timer

Oddometer:
    G'morning Steve! I have an idea for the master res. Tank was clean. :D
  5. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hope you clean the oil tank before putting oil in it. Take a look at my Phoenix build and you'll see what I had to tend with. That blast media is nasty stuff.
  6. BIG ED XT FAN

BIG ED XT FAN Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi, Bruce, Nice build. I like them xr 500/600 too. Scott Summers always made them xrs look good. :lol3
    Half your garage is honda , and your 2nd is Yamaha how do you know what to take on a ride?:lol3
    Thump-On!!! ED:rofl:clap:clap:clap:freaky
  7. techforlife

techforlife CDI REPAIR

Oddometer:
    Hey Bruce......looks like a great build.....

:lurk

B
  8. brucifer

brucifer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I plan to flush, flush and more flush before anything.

Hi Ed! Well, I am partial to me old Honda and Yamahas but I pretty much like everything.

Hi Brian! :wave Thanks, we'll see. lol.
  9. brucifer

brucifer Long timer

Oddometer:
    More pics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The company who did the powder coat work on the frame is Pacific Powder Coating in Arcata Ca. They do great work and are very reasonable. Nice people as well.
    The pictures don't do it justice. It looks orange here but it's red. I'll try some inside shots later.
  10. jgrady1982

jgrady1982 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cool! Finally another XL6R build! :clap
  11. kubiak

kubiak Long timer

Oddometer:
    wow!
  12. zen rider

zen rider veteran rider

Oddometer:
    Beautiful work. Nothing like a frame up restoration. The frame, triples, and CR500 USD forks all look awesome. The XR600 shock was also a good find. This will end up being better suspended and lighter than a new XR650L and still be air cooled. Very cool.

Keep it light.

I hope you use a lithium battery and other light bits ... this bike deserves it!!
  13. Billtr96sn

Billtr96sn Flange Furtler

Oddometer:
    I'm gonna be. watching this one
  14. Ghost_Mutant

Ghost_Mutant looking for bionics

Oddometer:

I like what you're doing with the old XL6 Bruce.:thumb Its what I would be doing if I owned one:D

Can you elaborate further on the CR500 KYB forks? Why is it not that great of a setup? Adjustment issues? Don't tell me the average rider can tell that these forks are 1 mm smaller in diameter compared to the latest USD:rofl

Didn't you get to reuse the XL wheel with the CR5 forks? Or is it the XRL wheel you will be using?

Yes, I've seen mentioned in various discussions on USD fork setups about the sub par performance of the CR5 USD forks, but nothing with the specifics in a nice list/summary. If anyone has a good link to such information, feel free to post it, I'll read it.:ear
  15. brucifer

brucifer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey GM, good to see ya!

I really don't know why they say that about the forks. Maybe adjustment issues? I didn't see any adjustment on the top caps. Could be some on the bottom; I haven't actually looked there yet.

Not sure which wheels I'll be using yet. I was thinking of using a CR5 hub and lacing a new rim and spokes to it. Whichever wheels I use will have new spokes and rims.
  16. brucifer

brucifer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Couple inside shots of the frame.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here we have the makings of what eventually will power the bike. From left to right: The hot rod engine that was in the bike before the strip down. It's an XR650L bottom end with a 675cc big bore kit in an XL600 cylinder topped off with an XR500 head w/Kibblewhite valves and Megacycle cam #148x9 w/hardwelded rockers and performance valve springs. :evil
    Next to it is a '97 XR600, and on the far end is the original lower end from the bike.
    I want to use the original cases to keep the numbers matching but I haven't decided what combination I want to stuff IN the cases.

[​IMG]
  17. Natnewt

Natnewt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    sick build ill be watching.
  18. Ivanych

Ivanych Ivanych

Oddometer:
    HI Brucifer!!!!
    You started a great topic and great work!!!!!!:clap
    Show more photos, details, tricks.:ear
    I'm going to go on the your traces (I will be like the fox) in the construction of my XR500R.
    Interesting any more details!!!!
  19. Carter Pewterschmidt

Carter Pewterschmidt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Powder coating the frame is the way to go. I painted mine with epoxy spray paint and it was a pita to get an even coat.
  20. brucifer

brucifer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for following along guys and I really appreciate the kind words. :thumb

Ivan- I hope I can live up to your expectations! :lol3 I'll share whatever tips etc. I can here---if there is any. :D