Shinko 705s

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by rodmuzwa, Nov 29, 2012.

1. rodmuzwa

rodmuzwa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just ordered some Shinko 705s. $325 Aus fitted and balanced for both. Me old mate Brian aka Exile730 also getting some for his GS1150. Same price I believe. Pretty good price. Looking forward to testing them out and hoping they are better than my current stock trailwings. They have to be better than Brian's baldy Annakees! Will keep you all updated as to how they handle the West Australian conditions as we go. Judging by reviews they should be good!
  2. Bronco638

Bronco638 Nobody Home

Oddometer:
    Radial or bias ply? There seems to be some concern that the radial 705 tire has tread separation issues. It does not seem to be a problem with the bias ply tire.
  3. StuartV

StuartV Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    I thought it was the opposite. That tread separation was fairly common on the bias ply..?
  4. justlookin

justlookin Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Usually I run Kenda 270 and get aroun 3000 miles out of a set so about 1500 miles ago I installed a set of 705's. I always balance my tires and I must say that these Shinko are the smoothest tire I have run on the street - must be round. After 1500 miles I feel sure that I will get at least 4000 miles from this set. Only ridden 50 miles or so of gravel roads and all the rest are paved miles back and forth to work.
    The Kendas always scalloped the front tire and the rear tire wore unevenly - bald on one side and acceptable tread on the other.
  5. doogiepooch

doogiepooch Long timer

Oddometer:
    You are right, it's the opposite, the old bias ones had some chunking issues, the radials had no issues. I wanted some Anakee's for a big trip out west but when I couldn't find the KLR rear size anywhere I started looking at other brands. Read up on the 705's and thought they sounded good. I put mine on in July at 600 miles. My bike now has 7,600 on it and honestly I could push it another 1,000 or so. That was over 4,000 miles of nothing but slab for that trip. maybe 100 miles of gravel / FS raods and another 3,000 ish of normal riding in Western NC so a fair amount of twisties. I just ordered another rear from motorcyclesuperstore.com and as far as I'm concerned I will never run anything else on this bike. I put 38 psi in them when I got them and haven't checked them since. The front tire still looks very new, I'll get 12,000 or more out of it easily. Great tires, and for the price...does a better tire even exist?
  6. k1w1t1m

k1w1t1m Kiwi

Oddometer:
    Please let us know how you find them. I liked them but I never was able to wear them out.... I had two rears that developed cracks down to the cords. The strange thing is that the cracks developed on easier rides. They'd performed fine on trips in high temps and heavily loaded where I would have expected them to show their limitations. MotorCycle Superstore and Shinko were quick to refund my money. I would still cnsider buying more but am hoping they can do something to stop the cracks developing. I'm running Battle Wings now but might give Shinkos another chance next time. The price can't be beaten.
  7. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
    I had a set of the radials on my Wee Strom for a few thousand miles and I thought they were great, regardless of price. Low price made it even better of course.

Sold the bike with them on it, so no final wear report.
  8. rodmuzwa

Oddometer:
    I read somewhere that Shinko sorted out the issues they had with the earlier tyres. I'm hoping they have. I'm getting the standards fitted, not the radials, due to the big price difference I was quoted and the fact I'm Scottish therefore I have a genetic issue whereby I don't readily part with my cash. If they don't last I'll get the radials next time for sure!
  9. Bigger Al

Bigger Al Still a stupid tire guy Supporter

Oddometer:

Do not fit the bias-ply tires to your GS. The issues that Shinko had were related to the heavier weights of bikes like the GS, V-Stroms, etc. Those bikes were designed for radials and came from the factories equipped as such. You're setting yourself up for disappointment, and perhaps even a big-time problem on the road. The radial version of the 705 isn't really that much more expensive, and the peace of mind that comes with putting on the right tire is priceless.
  10. swingset

swingset Got the knack.

Oddometer:
    I ran 3 sets of bias plies on my DL1000, often ridden two-up and with luggage. Only one front started to separate and that was after 13,000 miles.

I think the issue was more tire pressure + weight, myself. I always ran 40-42psi in mine.

I have also run 4 or so sets of the Radials with no issues whatsoever, other than the rears didn't last very long but for the price I can't complain. They are good performing tires.
  11. chollo9

chollo9 Screwed the Pooch

Oddometer:
    Not trying to be a smartass, but I'm guessing there's about 22 psi in it now.
  12. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    A great tire. I had a front on a KL600 that went 4000 miles before I sold it. I'd say it had about another 1,000 to go at least.
  13. rodmuzwa

Oddometer:
    Any ideas as to tyre pressure for them? I've got a WeeStrom and don't often have a pillion. I have read that 35psi in both should be about right.
  14. swingset

swingset Got the knack.

Oddometer:
    I'd run the 705 higher, myself. More like 38-40psi unless if you're on the gravel a lot. It's a soft tire, it'll grip.
  15. Nitro1970

Nitro1970 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ran the 705's on my klr650... Good tire for the price but I didn't get but 3500 miles out of the rear... Ran around 36psi... I just never have gotten the great mileage other claim for some reason...
  16. roger123

roger123 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I ran a few sets of the bias with no issues. Loved the tires. Then in a matter of a few weeks I had a front bias ply separate. The tread just started to come off the carcass and a few weeks latter my radial rear developed some odd marks on it. The front had about 4,000 miles on it and still looked brand new.

I have a radial front now that I replaced the bias with the tread separation and switched to an Anakee rear.

Here's a shot of the rear, as you can see there's still a ton of tread. Not sure if I could have kept running the tire but I had two camping trips coming up and didn't want to be stuck somewhere.

[​IMG]

I'm a tire pressure natzi and always keep them right at the high number. I'm pretty hard on tires in the dirt, but don't overly load the bike. I'm 190, and I can only pack so much into my Givi E21's.
  17. buls4evr

buls4evr No Marks....

Oddometer:
    Too much air by around 3 lbs. Guys that put lots of air in them wear them out fast. They bite much better on dirt at 32 or so and you can run that all the time. The rear runs about 7K miles on my Wee. 2 sets of them so far and no issues at all. Great tires. BUY THE RADIALS!
  18. rodmuzwa

Oddometer:
    Ok, got my new 705s on today. First impressions- they look bloody great. I think the chunky tread pattern gives the bike a much more rugged look. Only done about 20kms on them so far but they feel very very different to my old Trailwings. Much noisier and a fair bit of vibration which I imagine is down to aforementioned tread pattern. Seemed to grip well though and I didn't think the noise or vibration was unbearable. They'll just take a bit of getting used to instead of my super quiet tw's!

I will hopefully get them scrubbed in properly over the weekend!
  19. enumclaw

enumclaw I just....don't know

Oddometer:
    On my third set or so, have always run 40/40 in the tires. 8500 on the last rear, 17k on the front. I do let air out for offroad, but always back to 40 on pavement.
  20. hanksmybuddy

hanksmybuddy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Put them on my Strom before a 10 day a couple of months ago. RR here http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=840550 Had heard good and bad about the tire but really liked them. Ended up riding them in quite a bit of gravel, heavy rain and even some snow. Wear is non-existent and I will buy another pair. I had Anakee II's on prior and like the Shinko much better.

[​IMG]