Alaska: 30 years in the making.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by superdutyGS, Feb 15, 2012.

1. superdutyGS

superdutyGS lone rider

Oddometer:
    fototex and Dakota 62.......... wow........thanks to you both. You are gentlemen..
  2. superdutyGS

superdutyGS lone rider

Oddometer:
    LumpyOne....my sons graduate in 2016 and 2018.......we have discussed doing this and it truly is a good possibility
    as well. wouldn't that be ironic if we bumped into you two.
  3. LONG DONGER

LONG DONGER Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow. As my neighbor would say, "Flooding me with memories"! We did the same route, but in reverse, in 2010. Best time of my life, would go back this summer if I could swing the time off in consecutive weeks. It rained 19 of 21 days on us...and we camped instead of hotels, MOST of the time. Couple of nights it was raining so hard we just gave in....but loved every minute of it!
  4. superdutyGS

superdutyGS lone rider

Oddometer:
    Long donger...........that is a funny handle but I aint gonna grab you by it! We got rained on 2000 straight miles on the way up. Loved ever second of it. Cabelas guide wear......worth every penny.
  5. LONG DONGER

LONG DONGER Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would love to go back and ride both the Cassier Highway and the Ice Field Parkway. It was raining (and snowing) when we were on the Cassier, and oddly enough, raining and snowing and COLD on the IFP, not to mention starting to get dark (odd, when you've spent the prior two weeks at high lattitudes you just aren't used to it getting dark). I remember riding due north by the GPS reading, at 1:00 AM on the Dalton, looking at the sun right above the horizon in front of me. I was amazed at that....
  6. superdutyGS

superdutyGS lone rider

Oddometer:
    I had several people ask why we rode until 10 pm so often. Well because daylight is a non issue. I had put a new front master cyclinder on the week before I left and damaged my right heated grip. Oh how I missed that a few days....because of the short in it, it blew the fuse so no heated grips. I have had the bike 5 years and finally needed the heated grips and I damaged them the week before I leave. Again Lt. Dan..........I am not a smart man.........but I do
    know what heated grips are!!!!! J.R. Gump............
  7. Solarmoose

Solarmoose electric Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great report superduty, enjoyed it. I'm impressed by your long days, I consider 600 to be a long day. But then we stop a lot to take pictures. Thanks for the comments on the Cassiar. Despite having ridden/driven the alcan many times I've not been on the Cassiar and was planning to do that in May when we ride the bikes back north. BTW, I did rides with two of my sons as high school grad gifts, 10+ years ago now, they still talk about it and both still ride. When you're in Fairbanks on your next ride north give us a shout.
  8. timbercat

timbercat Texas Cruiser

Oddometer:
    Great ride report. Thank you soooooo much. You have continued fueling the anticipation of the upcoming Texas to Alaska for my son and me in July 2012. We are doing the trip on DS machines so will not be able to make the daily mileage you and Wayne did. And I'm old and like the slow and easy...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  9. 4corners14

4corners14 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great report superduty! I too have been in the insurance business for the last 20 years, working to hard and not getting the things I want to do, checked off the list. Alaska has been at the top of the list for the last 15 years. Ever since I started reading about the IronButt guys slogging their way to Prudhoe Bay I've had a serious itch to see it for myself. This July, four of us will make the trip from Seattle and the biggest box on my "list" finally gets checked. Your report has my foot tapping, wondering how to make the pages on the calendar flip faster! Thanks for taking the time to post it! :clap
  10. Late Starter

Late Starter n00b

Oddometer:
    OK For all you guys who have been wondering about the long miles these guys covered I will take the credit. You see I'm the old man {late starter} they brought along on the Goldwing. I'm pretty sure they had it figured that an rookie like would bail out after a couple hundred miles & they would laugh their a##'# off when they saw me do a U turn and head back to where we started from. GOTCHA GUYS But if I would have done that who would have taken pictures for Scott? JR knows that my mind is on my What has to be done list most of the time and not on my What I would love to do list. Thanks for the memories to JR, Wayne & Scott. You may have created a monster. Let me know when you are free to change some tires or take care of a bunch of cows I'm pretty sure I can find some place to go that I have not been. They are so close. Again thanks to JR & guys Keep the faith!!!
  11. HighRiver

HighRiver taking the checkered

Oddometer:
    Great read matey, thank you for sharing and all the best to you and yours.
    Cheers,
    Mark
  12. MountainDew

MountainDew n00b

Oddometer:
    Truly enjoyed your ride report and many of the details that bring it to life. Though I am new to riding again after 25 years and sticking to the pavement for now, dual sport is on my list and will be my next bike purchase.
  13. Wayne50

Wayne50 Love to Ride!

Oddometer:
    Truly was a ride of a lifetime..... and I loved every minute of it. Beautiful scenery, long days in the saddle, the ride was as good as our planning said it would be.

Long live THE RIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  14. mroddis

mroddis Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Truly an inspiring report....

I'm in the early planning phases of a Vancouver to Inuvik run in the summer of 2013. Just purchased the steed for the journey - a 2006 KTM 950 adventure. Your stories have made the planning stages much more exciting. Hope to join the ranks of the long haulers soon, and I hope my ride will be half as inspirational as yours.

Good on ya.

Matthew.
  15. superdutyGS

superdutyGS lone rider

Oddometer:
    Replies guys.
    Solarmoos.....outstanding that you did it with you sons. Hope I get the chance to say that someday. You will love the Cassiar, I don't understand how anyone couldn't....
  16. superdutyGS

superdutyGS lone rider

Oddometer:
    timbercat and 4corners.....so glad you liked the report. ......hope you put one up after you guys get to make the run. thanks for reading through it all

Late Starter....Jerry..well I will be.....another first. got you to post your first time my brother. Nova Scotia in 2012 buddy, Scott an Wayne and I are planning the "sequel run"
  17. superdutyGS

superdutyGS lone rider

Oddometer:
    Highrider.......glad you enjoyed the report....thanks for the comments.
    Mountain Dew....Welcome back to the world of two wheels my friend....beats therapy for stress management....

Mroddis.....a 950 is a great choice.....I had an 07 990 for about a month. the only bike I ever had that scared me. Had to sell it or I would have probably lost my license...way too fast. Went 100 everywhere....great machines and the slogan..race ready" is for real. be safe and enjoy
  18. dogmoon

dogmoon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the pictures and great ride report. Sorry about your mom, it was sad that it had to happen on your trip but at least you have the comfort that she has no more worries or problems and that she is in a better place all the more that we should live everyday like it is our last.:wink:
  19. superdutyGS

superdutyGS lone rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks dogmoon.......well said and I appreciate it.
  20. Dracula

Dracula Fat Griso & The Ape Supporter

Oddometer:
    Superduty, I read your trip report as I did many others here, yours is very different for me for its spiritual description, allot more so than others. This is everything I appreciate about long rides, immersing in the journey with the human experience makes a trip complete.
    Thanks for sharing it and hope you have many more to come.