Triumph Tiger 800

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by ScrambDaddy, Jul 12, 2010.

1. live2ridetahoe

live2ridetahoe BSN, RN, CEN, TCRN, CTRN Supporter

Oddometer:

I have been told that impure thoughts lead to reduced pad life... better check mine soon...

JG
  2. Xcountry-Rider

Xcountry-Rider Banned

Oddometer:
    Pine Valley, California (San Diego County)
    I started a Tiger 800XC tool thread. Let me know if i'm missing anything.
  3. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)

Interesting. I swapped out all pads at a little over 20k miles. IIRC, the rear ones were the most worn at that point, but not down to the backing plate yet. But then, I don't use the rear brake much.

FWIW, the pads I swapped in are EBC HH ones -- big improvement in bite. Now, 10k miles later, they're still in great shape; but I don't expect them to last as long as the originals.

Also, for anyone who's interested, at 30,500 miles I'm still on the original chain and sprockets. I'm planning to replace those this winter though just so I don't have to think about it at all next season.

--mark
  4. woodmnctry

woodmnctry Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Under Triump "Warrany Terms & Condition"

it is stated that

Conditions and Exclusions:
    3. The machine must have been serviced by an authorized Triumph dealer, at the intervals specified in the Triumph Owners Handbook and the service log completed accordingly.

Has anyone ever had warrantly service denied becaus of this clause -- seems we all do what we can service wise and may have done an oil change rather that go to the dealer --- just curious if anyone has encounterd issues on this??
  5. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
  6. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:

Maybe you inadvertently received a manual intended for the British market. As cug has pointed out, it's illegal in the US for a company to deny warranty claims because the service was done somewhere other than an authorized dealer -- even if you did it yourself (as long as you've kept parts/supplies receipts to prove you did it).

--mark
  7. woodmnctry

woodmnctry Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  8. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    anyone use wolfman racks on your XC? Pictures:ear
  9. Simon Smith

Simon Smith Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Legally wrong in the UK too, parts have to be to the same specification as the manufacturers, but any "competent person" can do the work.
  10. blacktiger

blacktiger Tigers R great.

Oddometer:
    It's EU law that so long as it is serviced to the same spec as you would get from an authorised dealer they can't deny you warranty.
  11. opjocephus

opjocephus Dick Tree

Oddometer:
    I do.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. blacktiger

blacktiger Tigers R great.

Oddometer:
    Yes I am. Are you using a Scottoiler or similar. I just swapped my front sprocket at 17600 miles and it was looking very worn. I do that to help the chain last a little longer.....I hope.
    I wasn't expecting to get much more than 25K on the 800 compared to the 30K+ I get on the 955 because of the smaller front sprocket. 800~16 compared to 955~19.
  13. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not using a Scottoiler, no, but I lubricate the chain religiously every 200-300 miles (or after riding in the rain) using the Dupont Teflon multi-use lubricant. I used that stuff on my Wee-Strom's original chain as well, and that chain lasted about 32,000 miles (though the front sprocket did need replacing around 25k miles). I attribute the long life primarily to that lube -- it's great stuff.

The Tiger's front sprocket is worn, but not terrible yet. I'll replace it this winter. But I'm undecided on the rear sprocket -- it's not showing much wear at all, so I may leave it on.

--mark
  14. TerraUnFirma

TerraUnFirma Fair/Not Balanced

Oddometer:
    Last night I installed HDB handguards, Top Clamp and mirrors on my XC, but I ended up installing with the stock bar-end bolts and the factory inserts as opposed to tapping and using the supplied HDB inserts and bolts. The stock bolts are a little smaller but are countersunk type and worked fine. It wasn't obvious how the stock inserts might be removed...anyone been through this and have a clue?

Overall, it seems a rock solid setup, highly recommended. I do have one thought, the shields are very flat, vertically, I'm thinking of heating them with a heat gun and seeing if I might not be able to angle the top lip back a bit, I'd think it would cause smoother airflow over hands and lower arms.

Cheers,
  15. some call me...tim

some call me...tim Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just as a heads up to those who aren't aware, the Dupont Teflon lube has changed, and isn't the same magic-in-a-can that it used to be. http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/dupont-motorcycle-chain-lube-2012/
  16. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Awesome. Thanks. Exactly what I was looking for. You wouldn't happen to own anyu Kriega bags would you? I'm wondering if I could use a US20 on exhaust side and US30 on left. It seems with the welded on loops, it could be done, but how much rigamarole involved is my question:ear
  17. TekurRides

TekurRides Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Quick question? Could you give some reasons for choosing the wolfman as against a hard luggage solution. How protective do you think the bags are in case of a crash. Would you put expensive like camera and stuff there or may be just tools and clothes and other inexpensive stuff?
  18. kion

kion Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is that a Wolfman Rainier tank bag?
  19. opjocephus

opjocephus Dick Tree

Oddometer:
    :nah

If you go to the Wolfman website and poke around, you will find they sell a kit to mount hardbags to the Wolfman loops. The holes adjacent to the slot where the buckles go are there for that reason.
  20. opjocephus

opjocephus Dick Tree

Oddometer:
    :nod

It will hold alot of stuff. To put gas in, I undo the rear buckles and fold forward. And when standing, isn't in my way.