Live Tracking a Stolen Vehicle

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Chisenhallw, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Chisenhallw

Chisenhallw Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer:
    Poor Southwade got his stole, it's got me looking over my shoulder & looking for solutions. I did some searching for threads on ADV but came up with nada. So I'm interested in your opinion or solution. The best one I've found so far is this;

<a href="http://www.amazon.com/Sourcingbay-Vehicle-Realtime-Tracker-Tracking/dp/B0089C15ZK/ref=sr_1_1?s=gps&ie=UTF8&qid=1354897713&sr=1-1">
    Sourcingbay Vehicle Mini Realtime Tracker Tk102 For Gps/Gprs/Gsm Tracking System Device</a>

Thoughts?
  2. lhendrik

lhendrik Putins Puppet

Oddometer:
    Looks like a winner. Put one on your wife's car, find out why she's so happy.....:lol3

Seriously, I like the idea of hiding this on my vehicle and knowing where the bad guys took it, so I can go all Rambo on their asses.

I like the idea of GSM transmission of GPS coordinates. Looks like you need to wire the provided charger to vehicle power to keep the battery charged.

This might impact vehicle battery life on a motorcycle.

Looks like a good price, or it may be a piece of Chinese crap, but from pics it doesn't look dissimilar to my cellphone.
  3. Chisenhallw

Chisenhallw Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer:
    It looks like it takes a mobile phone battery - just gotta remember to charge it.
  4. Butters

Butters Kwyjibo

Oddometer:
    I think it is only worthwhile if it can be run off your vehicle's battery with internal batteries as a backup. I will guarantee that if you always have to charge it, it won't be charged when the bke gets taken. I suppose you could use the USB cable as a charging source, but now you also have to hide wherever your plugging the USB cable into.

Most inexpensive live trackers are just cell phones. In the not too distant past, some private investigators use to attach GPS enabled cell phones to target's cars to track them. These type of trackers are basically the same, but there is a variety of functionality (some will just send gps points, others can message to alert to movement or low battery or enter/exit a geozone.). What the product you listed didn't mention (or I didn't see it) is how much it costs to maintain. Since it is a cell phone, it always needs service. You also need to consider if the GPS data will be logged. So that if power is lost or the tracker is found, the data was logged and you can find the last known location.

For instance, one device we occasionally use is here: http://www.trackingtheworld.com/wtgprs.htm . I'm not sure the cost of it (probably $2-300), but you can see they charge $60/month for the service. I don't really know a lot about civilian/commercial trackers and their cost, but I don't really think there is a cheap solution. So unless you have a $10K bike, it may not be worth it.

You might look into buying a cheap prepay phone (with GPS capability) and just keep it on your bike. Short of that, I think any type of live tracking is probably going to cost $500+ when you start adding in service. But like I said, I don't know much about commercial trackers.
  5. Moparmanpete

Moparmanpete The Cracken has risen!...maybe? NOPE

Oddometer:
    I think it would be nice for when on a trip, a great sense of security. Like when stopping overnight in a strange area. and your family could track you like a Spot tracker while your away.

Thanks for sharing, I want one now :lol3
  6. Butters

Butters Kwyjibo

Oddometer:
    Actually, a Spot tracker would be a pretty affordable solution ($99 cost plus $99 per year service). Just figure out a way to hardwire and conceal it.