Pants that fit or am I only dreaming?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by dsauer, Oct 18, 2013.

1. dsauer

dsauer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What I'd love to have is a pair of riding pants that are:
    comfortable
    long enough (36" inseam)
    not overpants
    water resistant/proof
    the color of dirt and grime ;)
    look cool but not like I'm some bad ass rider, because I'm not
    venting enough for summer with possible extended riding in spring/fall
    don't break the bank

Is that impossible?
  2. James Adams

James Adams wut

Oddometer:
    Mostly impossible, unless you nix the last requirement :lol3
  3. Horizontal

Horizontal Goatin' Around

Oddometer:
    Waterproof AND cool/vented seem to be the tough part. Jeez, 36" inseam?! You a basketball player or something or do you just like the cuffed look? :puke1
  4. dsauer

dsauer Been here awhile

Oddometer:

LOL, I am long of leg, that's for sure!
  5. MacNoob

MacNoob piney fresh

Oddometer:
    I love my Darien Lights (bought slightly used).
  6. usgser

usgser Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah that's gonna hang you up for sure. I had a pair of Vanson perorated leather pants that were great for summer riding, in the rain not so much. But nothing a light weight easy to pack pair of First Gear rain overpants couldn't cure when needed.
  7. lmychajluk

lmychajluk Long timer

Oddometer:
    How big is the bank?

Sounds like the Klim Traverse might fit the bill, while still being in (IMO) the 'reasonable' price range:
    http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/klim-traverse-pants

(Keep in mind - If you were looking for gloves with the same features, you're probably looking at a $200 pair of gloves.)

Personally, I'm partial to overpants, and the FirstGear HT Air might be enough for you if you're willing to deal with the liner. I'll wear them in light rain during the summer with shorts underneath and without the liners sometimes. I'll get a little wet, but not bad. If it looks like a steady rain, I'll stop and put the liners in. I'll wear them down to 40 or so with just jeans underneath. They come in a 36 in the Tall sizes. If you're planning much lower than that, maybe the HT (non-air). You'll trade the venting for a warmer pant that is waterproof on the outer layer.
  8. Phat Ham

Phat Ham Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    if the traverse fit anything like the latitude then they won't come anywhere near his inseam requirement. I tried a "long" latitude and it was shorter than a "regular pair of revit pants I have.

BMW pants come in long sizes that are actually long. Maybe not 36 inches but they might be worth a shot. They also fit pretty slim so you might be able to go up a size or two (thus gaining some extra length). I don't know if there are any bmw pants that satisfy your venting requirement though. And they will break the bank.
  9. Tallbastid

Tallbastid Stay Grateful

Oddometer:
    +1 on first gear ht overpants, I'm a 36" inseam and love mine, though I haven't used them in the rain yet.
  10. Plaka

Plaka Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer:
    If you skip the "long enough" it gets a lot easier and cheaper. Then you just add to the bottom of the legs. Ripstop cordura, whatever. For outside the boot wear I would actually cut the leg off a bit and go with a completely waterproof nylon down low. Wet road gets the lower leg pretty wet even tho' you stay dry above the knee. Add a velcro patch set so you can snug the hem down against off-bike camping critters (ticks anyone?). You aren't going for a overpant so likely no zipper to fool with. But you can certainly add one. Maybe toss in a small interior pocket on the outside of the calf for emergency essentials. Many dry cleaners have some doing alterations. Any fabric or sewing store will know all sorts of people that can help for not a whole lot. And you end up with a well fitted pant that's better than something 5 times the price off the shelf.

A truly comfortable riding pant with some protection might not look "cool". Baggy and roomy in the right places, some armor---they are made for sitting for long periods. Walking around you look---like a rider. You can dress them up with some patch or cargo pockets (over-wrap flaps or zippers), maybe a thigh map or mesh pocket, jacket attachment, etc.
  11. James Adams

James Adams wut

Oddometer:
    Rukka has tall sizes, but they're not cheap.
  12. MiteyF

MiteyF Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you're "normal sized" and not "american sized", and you don't want custom tailored, yes. It's just about impossible.
  13. dsauer

dsauer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great replies, thank you! I looked at the Klim pants and they might be the ticket, IF they have enough abrasion resistance. I read somewhere on here about a guy who had a 40mph get off and his Klim pants wore right through. That's not good...

I have Olympia mesh pants and for winter days I have FirstGear HT overpants, they are incredibly warm. The mesh pants are nice, but I wonder if a pair of non overpants would be just as cool as mesh + jeans. My bike puts out too much heat to wear shorts and mesh.
  14. Pete_Tallahassee

Pete_Tallahassee Grampy Supporter

Oddometer:
  15. Ceemack

Ceemack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't know if anything could fit all of your requirements, especially since "waterproof" and "vented" seem mutually exclusive.

But having a 36" inseam myself, the only pants I've ever found that fit were from Olympia. Which is kind of odd, considering how short their jackets and one-pieces are.
  16. crazyjeeper

crazyjeeper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I also have a 36" inseam. I just wear tall boots so then I don't worry about if the pants ride up a bit. The extra long hem on Olympias seem to do the trick for me. I have both Airglide 3 and Ranger 2 pants and they are both long enough. I also have Klim Badlands Pro in 36 Tall which are also long enough as you can see in this picture from this summer.

https://crazyjeeperndtx.smugmug.com...-and-Lolo-Pass/i-CDPnWWn/0/XL/DSCN0283-XL.jpg

Though, the badlands do not meet the requirement of not breaking the bank at all. :lol3
  17. Krazyjohnny

Krazyjohnny Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you really want to accomplish most of your list get with a place that can "Tailor" them for you. Aerostitch offers that service, Motoport also does and there is a German company that does as well. Once again not cheap.
  18. dsauer

dsauer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As mentioned, I checked out Motoport, they are pretty amazing but not cheap. I imagine they would last a lifetime as well, which is a factor in cost. The down side is one of my bikes is a more sport position, not recommended by them.

My budget doesn't allow for 'Stich. It could be I'll have to use what I have, which isn't bad stuff, until someone designs something like I'm looking for.

I sure do appreciate all the comments! Thanks!
  19. Auto-X Fil

Auto-X Fil Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  20. dsauer

dsauer Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Those look cool! Thanks for the link, I have the Olympia mesh pants with the thermal/waterproof liner. I don't really get the whole waterproof liner thing, that's worse than rain pants IMO. If you have them on and it rains, the the outer pant is still wet and in the wind, so it's freaking cold, lowering your core temp. Plus it's not logical. Oh, didn't mean to rant....