NH Ride Before The Rains

Discussion in 'Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carp' started by Nice_Rumble, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Nice_Rumble

Nice_Rumble Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rain was forecast for the afternoon but the morning was warm and sunny. Total of 8 of us got together for a mid-August DS ride through the back roads of south central NH. Ron and Mike came down from the laconia area, Paul and Bruce came up from MA and Mike, Kim and Bob came up from Hudson and Bedford, NH. Mike brought a bike that would not be my first choice for the dirt and graded gravel roads we would be on today, a 510 Husky SM. But he proved that it was certainly doable and made a believer out of me.

[​IMG]

A bit of pre-ride bench racing.

[​IMG]

Ron's XR650L

[​IMG]

A break along the way in Bradford near Battles Farm.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

About 12:15 we were up in the North Sutton area so a lunch stop at the Vernondale store was in order.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The economy has forced the store to cease selling fuel. Another one bites the dust. I see it more and more these days at these small mom and pop stores.

[​IMG]

After the first rain shower came through we decided to head back. We needed a fuel stop on the way though.

[​IMG]

The rain let up and the sun came out on the way back.

[​IMG]

Once back, Mike was concerned about the ominous looking black cloud off to the southeast as he and Kim needed to ride home in that direction. Paul also had a 2 hour ride back to Shrewsbury, MA.

[​IMG]

So those who trailered loaded up and those who rode up headed out hoping for the best.

[​IMG]

Mike and Kim heading into the abyss.

[​IMG]

The sky's opened up after they left so I suspect they could not outrun it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's just been one of those summers where most rides get rained on at some point. Still beat's 10 degrees above zero in the middle of January.

[​IMG]

A good ride non-the-less. 114 miles, no mishaps or performance awards.
  2. beej

beej Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Skip,
    You are a busy guy.
    CCCofVT Bruce
  3. Ride2ADV

Ride2ADV World Shrinkers

Oddometer:
    If we haven't been there, it's on the list.
    Can you say DELUGE!!! :dog :dog :dog

We hit the first deluge and by the time we got to Goffstown had dried out. But then by Manchester....

:dog :dog :dog :dog :dog :dog :dog

It opened up for real complete with thunder and lightning!

Nonetheless, we had a great time. Thanks to you Skip for setting up and leading a great ride and to everyone else for all the friendship!

Our best to all,

Mike and Kim
  4. GSGIRL

GSGIRL Neither here nor there

Oddometer:
    I must have just missed you guys. Left home this morning around 8 for a quick jaunt up your way. Back by 10:30am. 13 -> 103 -> 114 - > 11 -> 4 ->93S. I did not break the sound barrier until 93S:lol3
  5. mycirus

mycirus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It was a great day. Skip I love the rides you take me on. Its like having a personal guide tour. It was a good day. Since Skip was being the leader I opted to be the resident photographer of the day.

Here is a taste of the roads we hit all day.
    [​IMG]

Here is the group riding by. Except me of course. I am taking the pics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So now let me tell you about Paul. He is old school. He doesnt wear wimpy helmets that protect your head. He protects his nugget with a fine woven peice of cloth. Its even blue to match his bike.

[​IMG]

Here is my attempt at a riding shot. Still learning thee new camera. Appearently the lens is on the top left. Whoops.

[​IMG]

Here is some more ride by shots ruined by a passing car.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is a little taste of NH scenery. It was a great day to be out despite a couple showers. Well showers for now....Later on, another story.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So remember Paul. When we were all back at Skips I offered to put his bike in my truck and drive him home. Nah, he wouldnt hear of it. A true ADVer rides through anything. Well here is a taste of what he must have went through as I left 30 mins after him.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Anyway another great day out there. Good times Skip. Nice meeting some new faces and seeing some old ones. Until next time....

Bruce
  6. oldkiller

oldkiller silent Bob

Oddometer:
    Caught some of that myself including some hail at the end of Indian Ridge Rd.

Good day, Skip. Great seeing everyone and as usual a scenic ride.

Bruce, found your ride report. Sounds like you had fun. :clap
  7. mycirus

mycirus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Bob, it was a good time. Always good seeing you and getting a good chuckle at other peoples expense.

Bruce
  8. oldkiller

oldkiller silent Bob

Oddometer:
    Why else do they exist? :lol3

Nice catch on the chain, by the way. Thanks.
  9. Rubicon

Rubicon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Skip for a good DS ride, had a great time. Made it home without hiting the rain.

Paul
  10. midemite

midemite Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like you had a great time. I went out on Sunday with friends of my husband's - two large harleys, a honda scooter and an old Kawasaki road bike. We ended up on a dirt road along the VT side of the Connecticut River. Made me smile! We hit rain coming back over Mt. Cube. Seems to be the norm these days.

Would love to join up with you sometime - I'm in central NH.

Judi
  11. mycirus

mycirus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Paul,

Glad you made it dry. I went through some nasty stuff but I got delayed cause I grabbed a bite to eat before I hit the road. That probably made the difference. Good times.

Bruce
  12. Cutter

Cutter Girivek

Oddometer:
    Hey Bob, Nice to see you'e still terrorizing the backroads of New England ...........Love to see that ol' warhorse in action (the bike I mean!!) I just turned 20K on mine........:D We'll have to ride sometime (if you can hold the umbrella for me)..........:lol2
  13. oldkiller

oldkiller silent Bob

Oddometer:
    I'd love to. I have a real tight schedule for the next month or so. I have a wedding to go to Labor Day weekend but the other 2 days are free. I'll shoot you a pm if I plan on riding. Let me know if you'll be around then.
  14. dedsmurf

dedsmurf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Yall... looks like you had a nice ride.
    ANyone have a gps track of the roads you went on?
    would be nice to check out that area.
    PM me if possible..thanks!
    ded (Natick/Wellesley MA)
  15. Fantastipotamus

Fantastipotamus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How do you get to Jewett Rd? I see you're headed north in that first picture, do you usually come up Forest Street, the one that's a left off 114 across from Massasecum lake?

I ask because I've picked up a KLR650 and have been considering doing a bit of traveling in that area, as it's where I grew up.

Have you ridden the following?
    a) Rowe Mountain east over to Massasecum Ave/Carter Hill Rd?
    b) County Rd south to.. County Road in Hillsboro?

Both of those are on my list, but they may be a bit rougher (especially Rowe Mountain Rd to Massasecum Ave) but they should go through, considering they used to run the mountain bike race through there a few years ago.

Interestingly, the google maps on my iphone has much more in-depth roads of the area than online google maps.
  16. Cutter

Cutter Girivek

Oddometer:
    .......what other "2 days??"
  17. Nice_Rumble

Nice_Rumble Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, we rode up Forest St into Bradford.

I've ridden Rowe Mtn on an enduro bike but there is no way you'd get through on a big bike. Yes, they used to run the Mtn. bikes through there in the old days.

County Rd into Hillsboro is a nice easy scenic ride.

18. Fantastipotamus

Oddometer:
    Awesome, that's exactly the kind of info I'm looking for, especially as I'm just getting my feet wet on dual sporting/dirt riding.

What about Day Pond Rd (the eastern half of Rowe Mtn) or Massasecum Ave/Bog Rd/Carter Hill?

Ideally, I'm looking for something loop-ish, as for some reason turning around bothers me.
  19. Nice_Rumble

Nice_Rumble Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm headed out on Sunday. Why don't we meet up and I'll show you some loops in the area.
  20. Fantastipotamus

Oddometer:
    I may be down for that, yeah.. I do have some stuff on the horizon for sunday potentially, my fiancée and I may need to figure out how to get her a KL250 Super Sherpa home from Connecticut, if the seller gets back to her about whether or not he can get the time off.

If that falls through, I would gladly take you up on the offer. Are you headed out in a smaller group (or solo) or with a larger group like in this post? Given this would be my first dirt ride since getting the bike (though I may try to get some in tomorrow), I would want to take it easy, and would therefore be the weak link in a larger group of more experienced riders.

I will reply in this thread (or shoot you a PM) to keep you updated. :)