Purchased both Honda 2013 Models

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by RUNDCM, Jul 21, 2012.

1. RUNDCM

RUNDCM Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Metropolitan for wife in white- OTD cost approx 2,400, the bump ^ delaer handling & prep . could have done better had Irealized buying a new scoot is no different then buying a new car....Am located in Maryland...

PCX 150 in red for me- OTD cost approx 3,900 breakdown: MSRP + title, taxes tags, & delaer "surcharges"

Both with 1.9% Honda financing deal good till end of month...

The availbiltiy of these scooters appears to be elusive though I'd say from reading other posts plunking down the $500 deposit seems to produce one sooner.... maybe my imagination, just sayin

Havent taken delivery yet, will pick them up Monday. I've never owned a motorized vehicle unless counting wife's Schwinn Tailwind ebike.. I'm avid MTB rider --any form of 2 wheel transport is appealing... I test rode the Met, it sold me on a Scooter. never did on PCX .... when they told me the "uncrated one today" I told the to hold it.

I'll post more on them as time progresses......
  2. 16873

16873 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very cool. I just started adulthood cycling and I like it better than driving in a car. Good choice on bikes too.

Are you giving up pedal power?
  3. Forde

Forde Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    nice one man post pics when you get them
  4. tortoise2

tortoise2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Review
  5. hexnut

hexnut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The new Metropolitan is a re-badged Honda Giorno made in China, rather than the Japanese built Crea Scoopy that has been our Metropolitan ill these years. The new model is air-cooled instead of liquid-cooled on previous models, although it does add fuel injection.
  6. emmettken

emmettken Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1 :thumb
  7. btcn

btcn Long timer

Oddometer:
    So youse talking abotu never owning a 2-wheeled motorized vehicle, or you ain't owned nothing? Either way, good choices! :thumb

That 150 will have pleanty of power. IMO I'm have an Elite 150 and it has plenty of acceleration even compared to my 700 cc Shadow. Only issue is top speed on interstates. If it was all I had, it'd be alright on the freeway. Stay in the right lane and cruise, watch out for cagers you'll be fine!

The PCX is a great scoot. And the Met is great for getting your wife started. I'm sure y'all will have lots of fun! Enjoy and keep us posted!

BTW, welcome to the forum!
  8. btcn

btcn Long timer

Oddometer:

WTF?:huh I don't like that! No wander the price has dropped on the Met. Just hate to see more made in China. While I'm sure its still build to Honda's standards, I still don't like it. And why air cooling? Cheaper I guess. But I thought the little radiator on the 50 was neat before! Not entirely necessary, but it looks good in the features! Air coolings alright, but seems with the scoots them fans tend to make a lot of noise when you driving it, I don't like it make it sound like a whiny. Sounds alot like a Winda Air Conditioner.

Fuel Injection is totally unnecessary on a scoot. Mostly done for emmisions I'm sure. But IMHO it just adds more problems in the future. Nothing like a good ol' simple carb. ALTHOUGH, the trouble shooting is neat with a code scanner!:evil But then again, no more roadside repairs like the good ol' days!:cry
  9. bbishoppcm

bbishoppcm It ain't a moped.

Oddometer:
    I personally prefer carburetors as they add personality to the machine, and I've never had any issues rebuilding carbs... hell, I've been working on them since I was ten. Carbs also have the unique ability to function in a variety of states of disrepair; they don't just up and quit; they give warning signs, and will often allow you to limp home when things do go wrong. Fuel injection either works, or it doesn't. It's that simple. Diagnosing fuel injection issues on a single-cylinder machine shouldn't be too bad; there is an MIL indicator on the dash, and the system is relatively simple; injector, crank angle sensor, temperature sensor, o2 sensor, and computer.

One major benefit of fuel injection; the systems are usually well designed, and will typically outlive the life of the engine and require almost no maintenance between riding seasons. Also, modern FI systems are way less complex than a CV carb, as long as the electrics don't give out. This means no more enrichener valve, no choke, no float and bowl, no needle valves, no slide, no plunger, no vacuum chamber, and no more vacuum lines.

My next machine will be a Suzuki Burgman 400, which is all computerized and way more complex than my Helix. Luckily, I have at least five more years with the Helix before I even THINK about a new machine.
  10. RUNDCM

RUNDCM Adventurer

Oddometer:
    SInce this is my first 2 wheeler ever my observations are somewhat limited. I'd like to hear from others to compare notes: The PCX150 is a really nice looking machine. Its quiet, handles well and pretty mich is a sum of the positives others speak to. I'm on my 2nd tank of fuel, The "low fuel" comes on pretty quick once you get to 1/2 a tank & will make you sweat it out until you realize you still have almost a half gallon to spare. I removed the seat bump to attempt to attain more seating flexibility but it didnt prove to be of any benefit. The area where it resideson the seat is not cushioned nor is the seat material (vinynl) glued to that part of the seat--there is just a void of space. Pickup seems strong up to 40-45 MPH but after 45 it struggles to 50-55. I have not had it past 58-- I dont think it will go much faster than that. plus I'm not too comfortable waiting for it to climb to 60> with my current rider skillset. For the record I weigh 202 lbs and am 5'11". The fit & finish is good, the controls have a sold feel , and the seat storage is impressive. The seat closing task is a bit goofy-- you have to press it down firm and listen/feel for the latching, others have mentioned this as well. The engine cadence on the 150 is somewhat gurgley-- unlike metropolitan which is smoother sounding. I hope either (a) it needs a shop adjustment of some type or (b) it just isnt broken in yet to go near 70 mph as I heard others therorize based on owning a PCX 125. I have 120 miles on it so far....

The Metropolitan: The wife likes it Nice scooter all the way around, Excellant choice for a first timer. The accelaration is about what I expected-- even exceeds a little bit . It is one user frendily scooter.. There is little if any fault with this scooter, too--It is a good choice she did see a Vino she liked the looks of better-- but I think it is 2-300 bucks more for same 50cc motor size. I would be amazed if anyone had any negitive surprises with this scooter.
  11. geek_riot

geek_riot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What sort of speeds is your wife seeing on the Met?
  12. RUNDCM

RUNDCM Adventurer

Oddometer:
    35+ on slight down hill , 25 on up hill, I'm seeeing 28-33 mph on flats
  13. InlineSkate

InlineSkate Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You'll notice it gets a bit more life in it the more miles you put down. At 5,11 180lbs i've gotten up to 68mph at 600 miles.
  14. RUNDCM

RUNDCM Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Assume your referring to the PCX, & not the Met...........:eek1
  15. InlineSkate

InlineSkate Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :lol3 Of course. Well you could certainly get the Met to do it too. Would be just one hell of a project.
  16. SPOFF

SPOFF Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The performance you describe on your PCX is equivalent to the 125cc version after it is fully broken in. And the motor will be noticeably stronger after 1,000 miles or so. Lol! I used to live in Maryland just outside D.C. And I would drive 100 miles into rural Maryland to find a car dealer that wouldn't screw me. I found when you live in a county where everyone is a federal employee and makes well over 100K, everyone who sells anything is out to screw you hard. I don't miss that hellhole one bit.
  17. Timmygp

Timmygp n00b

Oddometer:

You summed it up perfectly - I have 230 miles on my 150 and experience the same thing. Hopefully it is a break in thang and I feel more stable above 55mph!! If it got up to 65 or 70 quicker that would help - but to hit 45 and have full throttle and slowly creep to 60 is no good!!! Un nerving .
  18. Forde

Forde Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    as its his first bike, maybe what he thinks is slow is actually normal. the acceleration on scoots does tend to die off when getting nearer to the top end
  19. RUNDCM

RUNDCM Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The Met-- The good-- The blinkers make clicking noise, I like that , 260 miles on it so far,,,tops at 35 straightaways 25 on hills. Not much else to report it does its job, & I can park it with bicycles . A scoot like this is too handy to not have around for summer errands.

The PCX--The Good-- Still the same, it runs a little faster to 55-60 MPH but doesent have much to offer past that speed limit, its been on highways holds on but I dont think I'll ever see 70 on it. Time will tell... Did Oil change. Need a 12 mm socket for the drain plug and a 17 mm wrench for the filter screen. Use a coffee can or something to drain oil into--regular oil pan for car is too big to fit right under it. I put synthetic in it --no reason just what auto parts store had availble. other than that - no (new)accessories , no modifications. Gas mileage is about 98-101.... I weigh 205 lbs . 6'11 tall. Thats about all to report. The color of it is red and I like the red.
  20. Bar None

Bar None Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    6'11 tall and 205 lbs? Skinny dude. Must look clown car like on the 50cc scoot.
    Kinda weird to mention liking clicking blinkers.