ZUMO 550 updates

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by acejones, Dec 4, 2012.

1. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was just thinking of doing an update on my 550 since I haven't done one in a very long time.
    Has anyone run into any unexpected surprises after doing an update ?
    I don't want to do the update if its going to cause problems.
    Thanks
  2. UnclebudinTX

UnclebudinTX Half Moose Whiskapalian TEX-LEX

Oddometer:
    i recently updated maps and software,, no issues unless you count (mind you this was first time ever updatitng maps) not all of the united states will fit on the tiny hard drive.. If you want all of the United States you need to save them to your sd card.. and then point the zumo to read maps from sd card..

take a little longer for the zumo to boot up but once it going no problems.. just remeber it tkae at least three minutes for the zumo to boot up and start giving directions..:freaky
  3. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks what size card are you using ?
  4. lhendrik

lhendrik Putins Puppet

Oddometer:
    I would recommend a 4GB card, as some of the City Navigator products are now over 2 GB. You can use the extra space for music files if needed.
  5. UnclebudinTX

Oddometer:
    8gb but i was told you can go as high as 32gb,, but i have not tested that... i have about 9 hours of music and maps on the 8gb card...

do a seach on this site about updating maps... there is an old thread by some guy nemed zumoman or something like that...it is very helpful.. i thought i had the thread book marked but cant find it right now
    :freaky
  6. Twohondas

Twohondas Long timer

Oddometer:
    I run firmware 5.0 on the unit.

I put the CN North America maps on the 8 gig SD card along with 1000 mp3s. I use the "free" space on the unit itself for 24K Topo.
  7. Phat

Phat Banned

Oddometer:
    A reply to me from Garmin support. "Thank you for contacting Garmin International.

I will be happy to help you with this. Garmin releases 4 map updates a
    year, and with every map update more information is added. Because of
    this you will have to select for a smaller region to be downloaded to
    your device, and the rest of your update can be loaded to an SD card
    using the MapInstall program. In order to download the rest of your
    update to an SD card you will have to select for your maps to download
    to your "device and computer". Below I have provided you with
    instrucitons on how to use MapInstall.

Using MapInstall-

The map update installation will install the maps on your Garmin device
    but will also install them to your computer. This is beneficial in
    cases where there is not enough free space to install the map data to
    the internal memory. After you have updated the Nuvi with a region
    (i.e. West Region) you will need to insert a blank SD card. The SD card

must be at least 512 MB but no larger than 16 GB.

Once you are connected to the computer, open the MapInstall program.
    You can open MapInstall from your Start Menu > All Programs > Garmin
    folder.

When MapInstall opens it will ask you to select a device. Just verify
    that the Nuvi is listed and select the 'removable disk' from the drop
    down menu. After you have selected the 'removable disk', select Next.

Once the map page has loaded, simply select the states you want to
    install onto the card. Be sure to remember that all of the states you
    originally loaded do not need to be selected. You only need to select
    the states that were not included in the region you installed.

If you need further assistance please reply to this email or contact us
    at 1-800-800-1020 Monday-Thursday 8am-6pm and Friday 8am-5pm Central.

With Best Regards,

Tamara J" No 32gb support according to the reply I got.
  8. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    Generally when you update a map it takes longer for the initial boot as the gps indexes and caches the new map, but subsequent bootup should not be slower than normal.
  9. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    FOLLOW UP

Thanks for the responses ! I did have a problem with some sort of glitch that Garmin resolved at their end. Once that was done the update proceeded. I was only on hold for ten minutes and the tech was polite and knowledgeable.
  10. Twohondas

Twohondas Long timer

Oddometer:
    I used to split the CN maps updates between the SD and unit but now just dump the whole thing on the SD card.....don't think it really makes a diff on performance.

Make sure you update the firmware too.
  11. Gillus

Gillus High Desert Rat

Oddometer:
    I hooked my 550 up to the computer and started to do the Garmin update for grins. It first installed the map installer or did something that updated the 550 so it now says 2012 when it boots up when started. So far that didn't cost a thing so I stopped right there. Hopefully it updated the firmware or software or whatever makes it work and seems to work good but I haven't had in on the road yet.

My thinking is that they haven't changed the road system much since the 2009 maps mine has on it. Maybe to find a new street address or someplace new but I'll try it this way for a while. I am cheap and considering a 660 anyway.

The biggest hassle I had was riding down a state or back road highway and the GPS not showing the road. What's up with that?? I always have a paper backup in the tank bag. Maybe the free 2012 issue/update will fix that.
  12. UnclebudinTX

Oddometer:
    Actually the road have changed alot in the last few years.. I thought the same a you for a while, then while traveling fron Tx to Indianapolis in 2011 the zumo has me take an exit in St. Louis... I found my self in a industrial area at 5 pm rush hour.. zumo was still dertimined we going the right way so i follwed her till she wanted me to go left and there was no left... I pulled over by an the building in the shade.. JULY it was about 100 degrees. Then a relized there was a homless guy hanging out over there too.. so pulled out in the middle of a big empty parking lot and reexamened where i was.. I could see the St Louis Arch so rode that direction.. got there and pulled out my paper map.. reprogramed my zumo... enjoyed the arch for a while and headed on.. I updated the maps asap... In 2012 i took the same trip and mrs zumo got me through St Louis with no problems..:freaky
  13. Effjay

Effjay Adventurer

Oddometer:
    OK, I just copied the entire latest version NA.2013.30 file download (yikes - 6.83GB total) to an 8GB SD card with objective of being able to select that latest map version with SD inserted into my original Zumo 550. As clarification, I own 2/ea Zumo 550, SP2730 and SP2720 units. The other Z550 and both SP2730 feature LM subscriptions, so my hope is to piggyback off those for my original Zumo unit. I figured Zumo would prompt me if I'd like to import newly found data, but no dice. I even detached the files from the NA.2013.30 folder in case that was an issue but no dice.

Some of you mentioned much smaller file sizes, so I'm thinking only a subset of files within 6.83GB total are required? Some clarification would be helpful. What file names/extensions/sizes are you using successfully? I'm not a Garmin novice and I'm actually proficient in creating custom MapSource routing, but this has me stumped. TIA...
  14. DennyIndy

DennyIndy Old F@rt

Oddometer:
    It doesn't work like that.

You must use mapinstall or one of Garmins map updaters to install maps on your GPS.

If you simply copied the downloaded file from your computer to the SD card that just will not work.

The install programs compile the maps into a different format than the file that you downloaded from Garmin.
  15. Gillus

Gillus High Desert Rat

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info, maybe I will update the maps and then it might find the roads I am on. The $50 or $90 is worth not getting mugged or shot at somewhere I shouldn't be.
  16. jfman

jfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Montreal (traveling Americas June '17 to May '18)
    Old thread I know but how much are updtaed maps for the Zumo 550?

I bought mine used (about 5-6 years old) and I never thought about updating the maps until I found out some roads in BC were not used in their routing on jy way to AK. The Cassair for example was labelel and an unpaved road and the GPS wanted me to turn around.

I am going to Mexico and I would like a fresh map.

What is the cost of an update and how do I get it?

Anothe problem is that my Zumo is on my bike in Vacouver and I will only be able to get to it when I fly in for my trip...
  17. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    Buy the map on a micro SD card, then you'll only need to pop it into the gps when you get there.

Here's an example - Canada City Navigator for $55.
  18. jfman

jfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Montreal (traveling Americas June '17 to May '18)

Theres a few folks selling them for 20$ on ebay. All Garmins accept the same programs?
  19. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    Those are almost always pirated copies. You have no idea exactly what you're going to get. No doubt some buyers are satisfied, but I'd rather pay the $50-$75 to reputable sellers and get the profits to those who deserve it.

I know, some people think Garmin's ripping people off but I don't happen to think that.
  20. WU7X

WU7X The Old Fart Supporter

Oddometer:
    I recently purchased a used Zumo 550. I've updated it a couple times now with no issue. I also have it registered with Garmin.

Can anyone tell me what the biggest SD card the 550 will work with is? I've heard everything from 8 to 32 gigs. I am planning on caging the Heart of the West loop next September and don't want to carry any more extraneous SD cards than necessary. Also, my Zumo using the original size SD cards, so I have to use an adapter with an Micro SDs. Do newer 550's use the micro SDs?
    <!--<script id="ad_injector_script" src="http://native.adsource.com/src/ad_injector.dev.js?net=xml.adsource.com&feed=37435&auth=w9GFLd&subid=kuka&layout=h&selector=&product_name=Just%20For%20You%20Ads&opt_out=1&about=http://medemedia.com&random=1" type="text/javascript"></script>--><!--<script id="ad_injector_script" src="http://native.adsource.com/src/ad_injector.dev.js?net=xml.adsource.com&feed=37435&auth=w9GFLd&subid=i_kuka&layout=i&selector=&product_name=Just%20For%20You%20Ads&opt_out=1&about=http://medemedia.com&random=1&frequency=1" type="text/javascript"></script>--><iframe src="http://native.adsource.com/src/iframe.html" frameborder="0" height="0" width="0"></iframe><iframe src="http://native.adsource.com/src/iframe.html" frameborder="0" height="0" width="0"></iframe>