DR750 & DR800 owners thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by MCmad, Jul 14, 2008.

1. bluesman

bluesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    well, I might be pushing DR a bit wrong since I am used to ride VTR which is very nice taking corners. On other hand I realized it (front whell on edge) happens to me over 90 kmph in kinda typical sportbike-heaven corners, which demand stiffer chassis and generally are more of high-speed corners.
    I felt it in Norway when few times pushed DR to take corners at 90+, so I think I should just adapt better. Below 90 it seems to have enough grip. Plus I know I do one thing wrong - I really taking corners in sportbike style, leaning a lot which often not that necessary and that obviously reducing contact path.

As for stability - I posted this story once here. Seems it is to do with me and particular setup rather than with DR. I am short guy but not too light, so my riding position is very specific to me...It happened on my friends bikes too when I tried it (non-DR)
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=281380&highlight=dr800

Here is whole story. As of moment I did unwind preload a lot (to factory medium setting) stability issue dissapeared. When I try to up preload at rear or drop forks in front it comes back....
  2. drbig

drbig Solo Sailor

Oddometer:
    Thanks from Drbig. great to be here!
  3. MCmad

MCmad Banned

Oddometer:
    Thats all very interesting,
    My thoughts are

1, that you are probable talking about speeds at the uper limits off the DRs capabilities I personal experience is that over 150kph cornering things start to flex a bit but Im still ok (just) till 160kph with my riding style, A VTR wouldnt even flinch at those speeds as its designed to do them easily, and my Harley starts to bend at 140kph quite badly and I cant ride it In the company of sports bikes at all, though I have done but they all laugh at how much I have to lean off it to turn, I talking hard cornering and switchbacks as per map below,

Last Ride was from Clevedon to Miranda and back up through Hunua if you type in Clevedon, in front off Auckland you will get start point and just go up to Kawakawa bay and then down coast in satellite mode, dont ya just love Google Earth

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=Auckland,+New+Zealand&layer=&ie=UTF8&om=1&z=13&iwloc=addr

2, Bike setup to you personaly is obviosly criticle,more rear bias sounds like what you need and perhaps we could do setup comparisions between our bikes if you want, the best way to do this is to firstly measure the rear sag with you sitting on the bike, eg distance from rear mufler bolt to rear axle, I could post some pics to ilustrate if you like, and then hieght of forks in top triple clamps, you wieght in Kg would also help to estimate front suspension load

3, definatly something going on with you riding style perhaps you are to forceful at speeds and over imputing into Bike, at higher speeds that can happen with these kinds of bikes since the turn quite easy on thier own,
    Al interesting stuff for us bikers to nut out, Chow:norton
  4. MCmad

MCmad Banned

Oddometer:
    Your most welcome,
    Checked out your Israel ride post, Wow I am most jealous,
    Many off my christian friends have been there but Ive not seen biker type of pics with such cool scenery before, I was reminded off this biblical phophetic verse written about 700BC

<TABLE><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD class=v-ref><NOBR>Isa 35:1 </NOBR></TD><TD class=v-body>THE wilderness and the wasteland shall be glad for them,

And the desert shall rejoice and blossom as the rose;

</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD class=v-ref><NOBR>Isa 35:2 </NOBR></TD><TD class=v-body>It shall blossom abundantly and rejoice,
    Even with joy and singing.
    The glory of Lebanon shall be given to it,
    The excellence of Carmel and Sharon.
    They shall see the glory of the LORD,
    The excellency of our God

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    Israel has that Type off Heritage I quess,
    Out of interest New Zealand is the furtherist country in the world from Israel as Ive mention before to nave but it looks similiar in someways but we dont have deserts, only huge sand dunes on some of the beaches,
    Chow for now will post some, pics soon
  5. drbig

drbig Solo Sailor

Oddometer:
    I like the south of Israel a great deal. I like the north I and the center. I just don't like Tel Aviv with it's big city mentality and GO GO Go living style.
    Parts of Israel still resemble how things were during those anciant times of the Bible. In others you have to try and let your imagination do the work for you. A week ago we rode to Bet Shean in the the east This is a very anciant city that is mentiond in the book of Joshua and in the 1st book of Samuel ws the city were the body of King saul was presented after he lost the battle on mount Gilboa. The whole city has been dug and is quite amazing to walk through ( though it is from a later period , Roman and mostly Bizantine). They have created a light and sound spektical that really allowes one to walk around and get a feeling that there is still a living city around you with all it's hussle and bustle

P.S As my wife and I were in New Zealand in 2003 (Mostly the south island) I can tell you with some confidance that NZ is really unique:clap and very far from what Israel looks like. I wouldn't mind having some of that NZ beautiy arond here!

Attached Files:

6. drbig

drbig Solo Sailor

Oddometer:
    one more from Bet Shean

Attached Files:

7. drbig

drbig Solo Sailor

Oddometer:
    And one of the bike on this trip as we are still part of the ADVrider
    Cheers
    DrBig

Attached Files:

8. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi dear fellows,

I wanted to share with you my experience so far with the BIG one. I own a 750 and I will be soon getting a mint 800 of 96. So, As someone posted above, it is true KLX650 upside downs fit the 750 like a glove, no machining required, same bearings too. I have fitted these to my 750 and i will transfer them to the 800 soon-ish.
    Its is by far the best mod handling wise to the bike. Very stable at all speeds even with a 20 year old back shock. I didnt even change springs up front, but i cant tell if they were the originals as i bought the forks from ebay.

Another interesting little thing. The 750 (and i guess the 800 too) respond extremelly well to ditching the airbox and fitting clamp-on KNs. Havent dyno'ed yet, but changed the main jets with a pair of 130 i had lying around and attached the KNs to a plastic tube of about 15cm long and 5 in diameter, which in turn where fitted to the carbs by a very non permanent sleeve made out of old inner tyre tube. Not the best craftmanship, but wanted to experiment before doing anything more permanent. Exhaust is stock, very rusty and with the last 10cm of it fallen off from rust and vibes, so a little bit more open than standard but not very much so.

Results? Simply amazing. I was never able to see more than 165km/hr before, but the bike now pulled hard to the red line. Top indicated speed with standard gearing was about 185 till rev limiter cut-off. The accelaration from 140 on 5th was fantastic. Absolutely no hesitation either at low revs whatsoever. Unforyunately the afore mentioned engine was toasted due to doing 5000km without checking the oil level and when i did so, the top end was rattling, and i managed to pure out 200ml of oil. Engine had 70,000km at that point.

I'm planning now to do the same to 800, put the klx forks in it, get a decent shock, fabricate a single exhaust with larger diameter downpipe, get excel rims, and look to the possibility of fitting fcr's.

As i wont get the 800 till a month or so, i was wondering if anybody knows whether the 750 tanks and plastics fit the later 800 frame. I like the old 750 looks much more than the 800. Alternatively, would the 800 engine fit the 750 frame?
  9. NORTH RIDER

NORTH RIDER Long timer

Oddometer:
    if anyone sees, or has a DR750 for sale in canada please pm me. i am looking to buy one . please be ready to provide pics as i live in a remote area of ontario and will be buying the bike unseen. if any german members can help i would consider importing one from germany.
    thanks in advance

north rider
  10. BrianDR800

BrianDR800 DR800 BIG 93`

Oddometer:
    A picture of my bike, all stock.
    I just paintet it matt black... Not all done in this picture!!
    Hope to do some more off-roading next year, and making some mods to the bike.:evil
    [​IMG]
  11. Jack Rabbit

Jack Rabbit Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was just wondering what eveyone has done for mods and any instructions to do them would be appreciated. It's my understanding that the airbox on the 750's need attention as does the exhaust. Mine is pretty close to stock mechanically, but has a custom pipe and the can from a DRZ 400 and although extremely quiet, it's running very rich and doesn't seem as powerful as it should. I have a hard time pulling more than 145 km/h and is seems sluggish after 120. Do I need to completely remove the airbox and go with k&n's and a rejet and if so what size jets? Or is there some airbox mods or a different box that will work? I will remake the spark arrestor from the DRZ can so I can get more flow out of it.

Thanks

JR
  12. ztaj

ztaj Jatz

Oddometer:
    Any chance you could provide pictures of your filter setup, as they say a picture is worth a thousand words.
    It's something I'm looking at doing to get the Big to perform more like the wifes XT.Also how low are they, don't want to get swamped doing river crossings

Cheers......
  13. MCmad

MCmad Banned

Oddometer:
    Sounds like your Choke could be stuck on,it may be sticking in the carb body.
    Your peformance is way below par, it should pull like crazy to 135-140kph then climb up to 155- 160kph eventually getting to 165- 170 kph if you have enough straight road,or more with mods as mentioned above
  14. Jack Rabbit

Jack Rabbit Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nope chokes not on. Works well and definately makes a difference when on to off. Like I said it is running very rich and I have to lean it out. I like the idea of pics of peoples airboxes and/or air filter arrangement. I have an idea in my head to go to a different filter set up but would like to be able to keep an airbox. It doesn't have to be the factory airbox and I even have visions of making one myself but if there is something that is simpler than making my own, I would possibly like to try that first.

JR
  15. Dino3310

Dino3310 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    sounds like someones(previous owners) been playing around with shit they dont know(carby), if they had left everthing standard you would be pulling up to the ton. mines stock standard and has plenty of pulling power.
  16. Dino3310

Dino3310 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    how rude of me not to intrduce myself on my first post.
    i'm Deano from NZ, currently riding a DRBIG750 and a DR500.
    [​IMG]

will load some photos when i sort this farkin pc out
  17. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:
    unfortunately, the bike is in my dads garage and my dads garage is 2 months away right now. However, setup is as simple as it sounds. The clamp-ons where bought to be fitted on a 1150gs but the bike didnt like them, so I put them on the big dr. A bit of intermediate tubing helps with torque low down and made them actually fit, since the carbs where larger size than the GS throttle bodies. The only pain is to remove the airbox which is a very tight fit. I dont cross rivers, so height is not a problem, but otherwise is not recommended.
  18. ztaj

ztaj Jatz

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that Mousitsas, I guess I'll go back to the drawing board. Not much good to me if the setup is to low, N.Z. has lots of rivers with roads/tracks beside/accross them and I never know when I'll be on one.
    BTW does anyone have an old spare airbox kicking around the back of the shed they'd like to donate to the cause ($$ offered of course)
  19. aapo

aapo aapo

Oddometer:
    DR800 engine fits to DR750 frame. Engines are almost identical outside. Magneto cover is different because startmotor and torque limiter. But there is difference between electrics (CDI unit etc.). I was told to put 750 magneto and pickup)powersource coils etc. located in the magneto cover with 800 engine with 750 wires and electrics. Runs with no problems. (or did) I didn't try dr800 magneto electrics with dr750 CDIs. Might work as well.

BTW people, what is your fuel level, jets needle positions etc. and exhaust setup. I have everything stock , but with Laser Produro. I've replaced many worn out carburetor parts and I'm lost with jetting. With old parts bike run rich at high RPMs and ok. or bit lean in lover RPMs. Now i have lean all rpms. I think... I plan to to make some air box modifications next winter with foam filter. But i have to get bike runnig with no problems before that

-aapo
  20. arrowrider

arrowrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Somethings not right there Jack Rabbit . I've just fitted a Suzuki RMZ can to the back of my 750 with no air boxs mods and it pulls like no tommorrow and im based at 1250 ft above sea level. I'll post some pic's Soon.