getting into dual sport

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by generatordave, Jun 16, 2012.

1. generatordave

generatordave Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Gents, Newbie here from VT,

I road street bikes for a number of years( haven't riden anything for 15 yrs , 2 wheels that is) and am beginning the research for a new bike. A buddy of mine is moving up here from Florida and we are all about this and want in.

So I am looking at 650s of Kawasaki, honda and suzuki brands and wonder about liquid cooled VS air cooled. I have honda and yamaha ATVs and believe all three will be reliable solid rides but am curious about some specifics.

being a mechanic ( generator systems) I know my way around the parts of a bike etc..

I am an 80% back woods/roads guy vs street. Prefer to stay off the street as the ride to me is in the woods.

I also notice that it's hard to find bike dry weights. that might be a factor in what I choose.

If any one would like to share thoughts on A vs B or their brand experience, I thank you in advance.

G Dave
  2. devo2002

devo2002 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Welcome aboard :freaky

As I still consider myself a noob I'd recommend something like the XT225 or an older XR250. Anything over 300lbs is pushing it for starters in my opinion, which means keeping it under 350cc. Especially for the type of riding you are doing, backroads off the highway, a smaller bike is way more fun, don't buy into bigger is always better.

Look for regional forums, there are plenty of roads to be ridden and knowledgeable riders in Vermont. And oh yeah, get some good gear.:deal
  3. generatordave

generatordave Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply,

Yea as I look into things further I am onto the Suzuki DRZ 400. right in the middle.

I want nimble off road (no crazy gymnastics here) but something with a little power to get down the road when needed.
    the more I read about the 650s is they make you sweat your nuts off in the woods and I don't want that but I do like a little weight under me
  4. kentnothstine

kentnothstine Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am a fan of the DRZ. I am a 6'6" 250 lb'er tho. Weight is less of a problem for me.

Are you looking at new or used?

New, I would say, DRZ400 S, KLX250 S, WR250 R
    Used add in, XR400 (kick start, and air cooled. Others are not).
    Then there are the more road oriented dual sports, xt225(no longer made), xt250(replaced the xt225), KLR, DR650.

Then there are the dirt bikes that people get legal and put a plate on it.

Think about what type of riding you want, speeds you want, and maintenance you want. There are plenty of other brands, KTM makes a great bike but I don't want to do the maint. The new Honda's are good too, but again I hear they take more maint. (I have never had a KTM or new Honda). My brother has an XR 400 and it is great but it's a kick start bike and that can get tedious when on a single track, or you hurt yourself, but at the same time you don't have to worry about the battery. YMMV

+1 Gear can make a difference between being hurt and not real fast in the woods.

Kent

I am sure I missed some, or somebody disagrees.
  5. nitsuj

nitsuj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    DRZ400, new rider or not. Awesome bike. Not a full on motocross bike, but highly dirt capable. Not bad on the street, either. Then if you and your buddy do get bit by the road bug, throw some 17" wheels on there and do some trackdays. I had one and miss it.
  6. generatordave

generatordave Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thanks for the input gents.

Well being that I am closer to the 50 year old mark than not :1drink I will be into all the proper riding gear. while I am not totally out of shape, I am not in my 30 year old physique either:1drink more beer ! LOL

I already explore and know a bit of the central VT trails and woods and am used to being out there in the ATV world but have been jonesing to get back on 2 wheels.

I rode street for some time and when I had my girls I felt it was time to hang up the helmet and do the gotta make sure I am there for my kids thing. Well it's 12 years later and it's time for me to get back to what I love.....albeit mostly class 4 rds and single trail.
    I live on a mtn and can ride right out of my shop into the woods.

Don't want a stricktly dirt bike because I need to cover new ground and get to it so I am onto dual sport and I would say the DRZ 400 is gonna be it. I am 190 at 5'11".
    my next move is to talk to some dealers.

The first aftermarket thing for me will be a cushy seat as that saves the back and ass :yikesaches quite a bit .
    "Are you looking at new or used?"..........new

Dave
  7. kentnothstine

kentnothstine Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Head over to the DRZ forum under thumpers, There are a few things thtat are need to do things pretty much right away.

Kent
  8. generatordave

generatordave Adventurer

Oddometer:
    hey Kent WIll do,

I have been reading a bit about sidecase protective covers, skid plate etc.....

I am big into research........not over the top but enough to be well informed !

thanks for the added info

dave
  9. devo2002

devo2002 Long timer

Oddometer:
    An xt will cruise much better and probably has a higher top speed on the street and is more nimble than a drz400, don't be fooled. The xt is about 260 wet weight, drz is over 300, that's a big deal. In a jam you can pull that sucker out of just about anything.
  10. generatordave

generatordave Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thanks Devo,

I am looking at all options and am hearing your advise
    Dave
  11. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, I am 63. I rode a sportbike as a first after being out of riding for a long time. But before that I was all about motocross.

After 5 years riding a Ducati I found this forum. I decided I wanted to ride distant places and explore remote dirt paths. I bought a KTM 950 and did it all, from the Arctic Circle to the southwest deserts. Over 50k miles worth. She was like old home week at the first sit. I know it's a stretch, but she seemed like my old YZ's at the time. Dang! I thought. This is how a motorcycle should sit!

Alas, the twin was too heavy to do much remote solo, though. I am not a big fellow. So I bought a Yamaha WR250R and equipped her for travel to do that part. I left her with stock power, but all the travel farkles were added. Fantastic motorcycle! Most important was that it allowed me to try much more technical terrain. My fave so far was to navigate a 13 mile sand wash. NEVER could I do that on the big twin by myself.

So I sold the 950 and bought a new KTM 690R to replace it. The weight is about like my Yam, but twice the power. On the other hand, my youngest son just bought a KTM 200. Sheesh...now that is a useful motorcycle! 208 lbs wet.

I want one.
  12. elk311

elk311 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I hear ya !!! I started out with my KLR650 and love that machine however, when I realized that I also loved the narrow single track stuff I ended up also buying a WR250F. So you're doing the right thing by researching first. For the 80% backwoods stuff bike weight is a HUGE consideration and that (to me) is where the KLR650 falls a little short, it's a pig on the trails and tight stuff (to me).

Unless you want a garage full of bikes (I'm now looking at street bikes) keep doing your homework.:evil
  13. biggziff

biggziff Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer:
    The 12 WR250F wet and stock weighs more than 260 pounds. You can get bikes with more power and better suspension that weigh about the same. I think you have to try to determine how much dirt/woods you're really going to ride before you start looking at models.
  14. generatordave

generatordave Adventurer

Oddometer:

Well I have drz400 on order and should have it in a week or two :clap:lol3 !

I like the WR250 and know a guy that has one and I was leaning that way earlier but opted for the 400 and feel that will be the fit for me and of course I am PSYCHED !

I now have to look into riding gear and figure out what protective stuff I want/need.
    Being new to advent riding I have to figure this out.
    any pointers would be welcome.

No real ambitions to thrash and motocross.............still gotta make a living ! ( with out getting hurt)
    But I am sure I will ride hard at times but mainly woods and dirt rd touring

C'mon new bike
  15. DirtRockr

DirtRockr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Congrats on the DRZ! Gearwise; I have too much street/mx/ds gear accumulated so I can tailor to the ride. I wear mx helmet/goggles 99% of times. I like the lens options. For serious woods Its full mx gear + knee/elbow armor. Gouges show they’ve saved me some pain. Casual days, a JoeRocket jacket, jeans and work boots. Weather/terrain/level of aggression dictate. Most versatile piece i have is a full vented street jacket w/ zip out lining and removable armor. It’s comfy from 40-80deg, good protection and keeps me dry in anything short of a hard rain. Iron Pony closeouts is a good source for a deal. Gear is fashion to some so I never buy current year, it’ll be 1/2 off when new stuff comes out.
  16. SATEX

SATEX Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good info, but you made the OP wait 6 5 years.
  17. nk14zp

nk14zp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maybe he's a slow reader.
  18. DirtRockr

DirtRockr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That’s what happens with old age..you miss stuff like date stamps. At least I provided you some entertainment. You’re welcome.
  19. SATEX

SATEX Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lots of folks miss that, and it is indeed entertaining. So ... thanks.
    DirtRockr likes this.
  20. DirtRockr

DirtRockr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In honesty, not a first. I’ll be more mindful in the future but no promises. Damn..now I’m curious how its going for OP, after years to sort things out.