ACT ADV Riders Thread...Discover the ACT and surrounds

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Oz Nutter, Sep 25, 2010.

1. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    Yes Baz, on the Harley. Parked under the power lines, off the road, at Picadilly Circus around 09:30 this morning. Madman.:lol3
  2. hunter_greyghost

hunter_greyghost XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer:

Hope he's still not there waiting for me to turn up!!!!! :clap
    Cheers
    Baza
  3. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    We were at Taralga yesterday (in the car)

Surprised to see so many bikes out and about

The sleet around Grabben Gullen was pretty much horizontal, and Taralga itself as cold as I've seen - wind absolutely howling through those poplars -probably 40 knots

Have to be a bit keen
  4. hunter_greyghost

Oddometer:

'A bit keen', would qualify as an understatement Hoots, bloody mad would be closer, I know - I'm getting old & soft but a lot wiser these days :wink:
    Cheers
    Baza
  5. mezcal

mezcal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It was nice down here apart from the wind, still rode in summer gear actually.
    Bike went well, nice and light but feels pretty vibey through the feet under acceleration.
    Probably too used to cush drive on the 690 I reckon...

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk
  6. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do you think you'll get the suspension overhauled?
  7. mezcal

mezcal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep I think I will, if there are any spots left Steve?
    The front needs work bad, feels like a pogo stick compared to the 690's valved front end.
    Just does not soak up the rough stuff like i am used to.
    I am much more confident in any terrain on the 690, I know the 450 is still new to me but knowing it can be so much better due to the shit forks .... I just gotta do it.

If there are any spots left Steve I am keen. Do I need to call Frank about anything?

8. ADpete

ADpete Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just had an idea. Would the sportster be suitable for the Kowen Forest ride :muutt?
  9. wiz.au

wiz.au Ceased riding for now.

Oddometer:
    I thought you had already registered? AW said there was a Harley when he was checking the regos. But then again, apparently there's also a BMW318 car registered for the Kowen ride. That would be cool to see how far into the single track it could make it. 7 creeks section would be hilarious. Impossible really.

Posted from a tiny keyboard on my phone.
  10. ADpete

ADpete Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    impossible really hummm :norton I heard an sx650 has done it.
  11. havafati

havafati Yassdafarian

Oddometer:
    Totally impossible Pete you'd never do it.

:evil or could you
  12. wiz.au

Oddometer:
    Just to clarify, I meant in the BMW 318i CAR it would be impossible. :wink:
    When I read about the blokes who went through the Simpson in the 70's on old twin shock bikes, or watch the World Trials guys, I realise that NOTHING on a bike is really impossible. Not even riding across a lake on top of water....(google is your friend)

The question for me is...do you WANT to and will you ENJOY it? The answer to that is NO for me on my F650GS Dakar.
    I didn't even enjoy it on a borrowed DR250! Single trail like that in tight forest, clutching in 1st gear every two meters, not for me.
    But we get nearly 400 riders who love it, so go for it if that's what you like.

For those that may not have heard, it's supposed to be locked in now, 21-22 June. Everything is on the website. www.dsmra.asn.au
  13. BergDonk

BergDonk Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
    Spot available either Fri or Sat. Probably no need to contact Frank. I think I still have your email address and I'll send you out the questionnaire etc.

I may not do it straight away as I have no ISP ATM, so am up at the neighbour's checking messages. Hopefully back up by the end of the week.
  14. BergDonk

BergDonk Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
    The Simpson was easier back then. After the seismic teams went through they left all the dunes clay capped for traveller's pleasure. Its got progressively worse each year since, especially as traffic density has increased and 4wders refuse to lower tyre pressures adequately, chewing it up as a result.

Ant if you clicked the DRZ up into 2nd and 3rd it'll flow easier in the ST. Even Baz has taken his XS650 through the east loop. He's a legend of course!
  15. hunter_greyghost

Oddometer:

I wouldn't attempt it on the Harley, you need more clearance & a bloody good bash plate, :eek1
    & as someone said - the single track [which is most of it] will kill ya! :clap
    Cheers
    Baza
  16. mezcal

mezcal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pm sent, Saturday suits better too
    Thanks

17. Ron50

Ron50 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Rig Road, which was the clay-topped one, is now more challenging than the French Line, which 90 per cent of people use these days.
    Because of the lack of use the Rig Road now is capped with light, windblown sand with tricky drop-offs on the leeward side that can tip you onto your roof in a 4WD because the passenger side front has nothing under it as you crest the dunes. And the eastern face is steeper. Much more fun:clap
  18. wiz.au

Oddometer:
    I know _you_ could have maybe done that?...but me...I can't see how it could possibly "flow" when every 2m is another 90deg turn around a tree into a foot deep rut and then another tree and turn, then 30m of bulldozed logs with no actual track that could be made out, then another 60deg turn around a tree into a rocky creek crossing with steep embankments either side??? ....."Flow"?? I've weaved my way through completely stationery Sydney traffic jams on my K1 faster!

Kowen ST not for me....even on a 250. :(

Posted from a tiny keyboard on my phone.
  19. hunter_greyghost

Oddometer:
    Try doing it on an XS650!!!, man - do you work up a sweat, and Pete reckons he'll have a crack with the Harley, this I've gotta see!!! :eek1
    Cheers
    Baza
  20. mezcal

mezcal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mr Silla, I think I have an rdo this friday.
    I am thinking about a little ride out your way... from Bemboka up to the top of Brown Mtn, left onto Packers Swamp rd to Postmans track then ending up on Tantawanglo Mtn rd.
    Then an easy ride back down the hill to Candelo where we can part ways..
    All Weather permitting and if I actually do have an rdo this week, of course.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk