A couple questions for LEOs

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by 390beretta, Dec 15, 2012.

1. 390beretta

390beretta Long timer

Oddometer:
    I took a the other day from Phoenix to Sedona to look at yet another K75 which is what I ride. I started out riding 65 mph, the max. for a few miles north of Phx. and was passed constantly, when I got into the 75 mph stretches, I rode 75 and got passed somewhat less frequently. On the return trip, I rode a pretty constant 80 mph. Hardly got passed at all and was able to situate myself in-between pods of cars, which felt like a good idea. My gps, for that entire 211 mile trip indicated my top speed (I think this is when I passed a big rig) was 91 mph. As I again hit the northern outskirts of Phoenix, still riding 70-75 (in a 65 zone) I noticed that I was closing rather quickly on a pod of cars, all actually doing the speed limit. As I slowed and scanned what was going on, what did I see but a MC cop, doing the speed limit.....and of course no one wanted to do much about passing him, or perhaps just creeping by him at 66-67 mph.

So here are my questions: Especially for HP type officers,

#1 Do you tend to cut a MC rider some slack when you catch him speeding, especially if it's not a sustained, insane type of speed?

#2 If you do stop a motorcyclist, what determines whether you ticket him? (A good friend of mine was stopped during a recent road trip in Utah, doing slightly over 100 mph. He and the officer had a chat and he was cut loose, to ticket. I could give more details about the conversation they had, but would rather hear some officers opinions.
  2. Wolfgang55

Wolfgang55 Long timer

Oddometer:
    In excess if 100 mph, some one had a great give of gab. & maybe still does.
  3. Butters

Butters Kwyjibo

Oddometer:
    I don't know this for fact as I am not a local, but my feeling is that the greatest indicator has to do with the duties of that particular cop. In other words, if you get stopped for doing 5mph over the speed limit by a cop working traffic duty, you're going to get a ticket. Even if you're doing 20+ over the limit and get stopped by a cop that doesn't typically work traffic (e.g. a detective), you stand a better chance. Assuming you're not doing something egregious or being a total A-hole, the guy may feel he's met his obligation with a warning - especially if you're remorseful. Heck, it may have been years since the guy has worked traffic or his schedule isn't set up to be in traffic court on a particular day. He may not even have his ticket book.

This is just a theory mind you, but it is based on working with local law enforcement for several years and my own experience. There's certainly many other factors (cup size :evil), but I think the above is a major factor.
  4. Frostback

Frostback Frostback

Oddometer:
    LEO catching a 100+ MPH bike and not ticketing him?? I'd have guess something besides gab was exchanged OR the cop didn't have a good radar lock on his speed, thus no good grounds for prosecution. A high speed bike would justify the stopping and conversation but without evidence, he just made some goodwill points by letting him go.

Lee
  5. khager

khager Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's the brunt of it right there.

If you get stopped here in Fort Worth by a Radar Unit in the Traffic Division, you are getting a ticket, period! No questions, no chit chat, and no discussion. It's license please, hold on I'll be right back, swipe DL, print ticket, sign here and they are on their way. They are the revenue collectors for the city, and they are very efficient. Not A-holes or anything like that, just pure business.

On the other hand if you get pulled over by a regular cop and you have a good attitude, you have a good chance, of getting off with a warning, long as you are not doing something totally stupid!
  6. duck

duck Banned

Oddometer:
    LEOs are people and, as such, all different, so I don't think there's a pat answer to this question.

It probably depends upon:

a) Whether they're a NBD (natural born dick) on a power trip or just a regular guy

b) How their day is going

c) Their attitude towards motorcycles and riders

d) If they're out on traffic patrol or just out cruising around

e) The size of your tits (for women anyhow)

Many other factors involved as well... The bottom line is that its a crap shoot. If you're lucky you ride away without a performance award.

And it never hurts to be courteous and treat them with respect - even after they give you a ticket.:deal
  7. ghostryder

ghostryder Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    1) I usually don't even mess with bikes, most of them around here would just take off and try and run. Not that I mind if they take themselves out of the gene pool but they usually make a mess while doing it. The few times I actually stopped a bike, yeah I cut them slack but mainly because they were honest, reasonable, willing to engage in conversation and admit their mistake.

2) Refer to #1. Attitude plays into it more than you think. But if a motor Officer stops you, get ready for a coupon.....that is what they do.
  8. Gonzoso

Gonzoso Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Police in my area seem to be very bike friendly.

I rode a Suzuki Marauder for 4 years and I wear ATGATT so I assume they thought I was an old guy or something(I'm 27 now). Anyway I've ridden by leo's at excessive speeds and they never even blipped their lights(I think). I mean nothing crazy, tops I might have gotten that pig(my bike) up to 110 or something, normal high cruising speed was 95-105 on the highway.

A sheriff' deputy even signaled me to pass him when he was doing 50 in a 40. He pulled far right, like he was giving me room to pass when I pulled up behind him. I thought it was a trick so I didn't. Then he waved me by and I opened it up and passed him at about 75 blasting those loud pipes at him, I guess he likes bikes.:D
  9. mikerd400

mikerd400 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I treat bikes and cars the same. If I've been busy typing a lot of reports, and I pull someone over, they are generally getting a ticket. If not alot of reports and I have time to just patrol the highways, I'll generallly pull over more people, but then give at least half of them breaks.

For speeding violations, I generally wait till at least 15 mph over, unless someone passes me. If you're speeding and pass a cop, you're not paying attention, which is a bad way to drive/ride. If the violator is cool, I'll give a break on the moving violation and cite them for a correctable violation if they have one. For example, alot of violators I stop have expired proof of insuraance. Their valid proof is at home. I'll cite them for the insurance. They show the current proof to a LEO later on and have the citation signed, and then get the proof of correction back to the court. Costs them $25 instead of about $290.
  10. nickgindy

nickgindy Lover of the KLR

Oddometer:
    Each cop is different. I am usually all about attitude. I'm a city cop that works the hood so I'm usually run to run to run but when I do do traffic stops (usually on my way to or from work) it's usually all about attitude. I won't pull over sport bikes. I am not even going to take the chance because most of the time they run. The risk is not worth the reward. MotoGP of this year I did have a guy on a drz400 ride a 12 o clock wheelie past me in shorts and a tshirt and of course no helmet. I pulled him over, he happened to be carrying concealed, so I secured his weapon which looked like he just got it out of a mud hole, and explained to him I ride too and how he is an idiot for what he just did right in front of me.. in shorts.. with no helmet... and referred to his boots that look exactly like tennis shoes. Also explained how he is passing through a neighborhood where no one has licenses or insurance and if they hit him they will NOT stop or give a shit. I went back to my car. Texted an advrider friend about it to share the laugh and take some time so he though he was getting a ticket. Watched him sweat over the fine he thought he was getting and then gave him his gun back and told him to quit being an idiot. Sometimes making people wait to think there getting a ticket is worst than cutting them a ticket real fast. :rofl

But moral of my long useless story I wrote. Be polite and if the cop wants to write you a ticket for 5 over, let him be a douche and write you for 5 over. Unless its of course in a school zone with kids present. Then your the douche.
  11. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    They should put those cameras back in. 6 lanes wide all going 61mph. The 202, 101, 51, 60, 10 and the 17. Was quite remarkable. :D
  12. buls4evr

buls4evr No Marks....

Oddometer:
    I passed a NM State Trooper once at 100 or so. He saw the thunderstorm coming behind me and just flashed his lights at me:clap. He accomplished 2 things....told me to slow down and taught me that LEOS have some compassion for us at the same time. Good common sense. Neither of us wanted to be out in a NM thunder/lightning storm in the desert. I owe them one now!
  13. D R

D R Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've not been directly involved in LE work for about 10 years now (...by directly involved I mean belonging to a police department). When I was pulling people over and writing tickets, I wasn't too concerned with the speed of any one individual vehicle (car or motorcycle) if it was moving at about the same speed as the flow of traffic. The vehicle going considerably faster than the flow of traffic always got my attention.... if it was over the posted speed limit.
  14. 390beretta

390beretta Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the replies guys. OK, here are a few more details about my friend who was doing over 100 when he was stopped in Utah.

1. He's 67 yo and was wearing ATGATT, riding a K1100, obviously well maintained.
    2. There was very little traffic on the road he was riding and road conditions were excellent (which he explained to the officer when he openly acknowledged his speed, no denial that he was speeding.
    3. He handed the officer his concealed carry permit along with his license (thereby establishing he was a law abiding person and that he was armed. (the officer did not secure my friend's handgun, just asked where he was carrying it) It was by the way, under his one-piece riding suit.
    4. My friend works in a gun shop and is very knowledgeable re: guns. He noticed the officer was carrying a Sig. and asked him how he liked it etc.

Not sure what else the conversation consisted of but as I said, the officer just told him to "modify" his speed a bit. End of story. I'm pretty sure that had there been more traffic or if my friend had done something stupid, like driving recklessly etc. the story would have ended differently, as in a felony speeding ticket.
  15. Angry Wookie

Angry Wookie Running On Fumes

Oddometer:
    The most wretched hive of scum and villainy aka DC
    Like others have said if you get pulled over by a member of the traffic unit unless you have an amazing reason for what you're doing, you're getting a ticket. That's all they do and have zero wiggle room.

Personally when I pull people over (cage or bike) unless they are doing something grossly dangerous or illegal it all comes down to the attitude test. If they're cool with me I'll be cool with them. That could mean a reduced ticket or warning depending on the circumstances. But if you're a dick to me then I have no reason to cut you a break.

With your friend getting pulled over doing 100:

Besides having a good attitude the biggest thing going for him was his age. No one wants to write grandpa a ticket. :nono
  16. randyo

randyo Long timer

Oddometer:
    must be the fact that I have great grandchildren that has been a halo around my helmet

I've received warnings a half dozen times for speeds in excess of a ton, and none of them were on the highway, all in 30-40mph zones

one time it went like this (on a group ride 5 other riders all on liter bikes I was on a nekid SV650, we had pulled into a small parking lot and were taking our helmets off to discuss our route when a leo pulled in behind us )

"Alright boys, I know your dressed for it, but this is not a race track, I had you going 85 in a 30 when you went out of my radar range and I know you were going a hell of a lot faster than that"(My speedo on the SV was clearing 115 and the liter bikes war ½mile + ahead of me prolly closer to 150 maybe faster than that) then pointing his finger at me " YOU, twice in one week, ya gotta slow down" I had received a warning for 55 (managed to slow from 80± when my radar detector sounded) in the same 30mph zone form the same leo just 3 days earlier
  17. eddie bolted

eddie bolted BOING!!!

Oddometer:
    :Afew weeks ago i was going camping,had all my gear on my bike,got pulled over for doing 51 in a 35 zone(little town in the country)a PA state trooper pulled me over ,took all my info ,came back told me i wasn't riding erratically,had on all the gear and was polite,he let me go for speeding and wrote me up for FAILURE TO OBEY TRAFFIC CONTROL DEVICES($81.00) he told me 3 or 4 times everything was being recorded and he was only doing his job,cool cop and i was wrong,it was my fault,i wasn't paying attention.
    I couldn't out run him as i was on a KLR :D
  18. farmerstu

farmerstu Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    100+in a 30 isn't something i'd be braggin about. it tells me loud and clear you're an idiot and an asshole. and when you get creamed i hope you live so that the innocent driver that made that left turn in front of you doesn't have to live with the guilt of your death. that exact scene happened in fargo a couple years ago. squid doing 100 plus in a 30 16 year old girl pulls out and he gets killed. messed her up.
  19. TortillaJesus

TortillaJesus Cockbag

Oddometer:
    I believe 100+ would be a felony in some states. :deal
  20. Butters

Butters Kwyjibo

Oddometer:

The fact that A) you have done this; and B) you have no problem bragging about it to the world, boggles my mind. Not only would I not let you off for that, if I knew it happened on multiple occasions, you and your bike would be getting a free ride.