Moto Guzzi Norge first impressions

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Scott of the Sahara, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Scott of the Sahara

Scott of the Sahara Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Last year I needed a bigger bike to ride 2 up. My KLR was fun for me by myself but it did not work well with my wife. Here I am with my son at Hoover Dam.
    [​IMG][/IMG]

So while looking for a bike for my son, I stumbled across a 1982 Suzuki GS 750 with very low miles and in near perfect shape. I took my wife over and we rode around and it was comfortable.
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    I put on a different windshield.
    [​IMG][/IMG]

So after a year of riding the GS 750, I decided to move up to a bigger bike.
    Here are some of the things that I wanted.
    Low end power
    Upright seating position
    Good wind protection
    Low seat height
    Decent fuel mileage

I looked into BMW's but they seemed to be far out of my price range. I really did not want a Honda ST, or Yamaha FJ or Kawasaki concourse. All of them seemed to be too high for my short little legs.
    My friend purchased a Moto Guzzi Breva and let me ride it. Wow! I was hooked.

[​IMG][/IMG]

The only problem when riding the Breva at highway speeds, was the wind protection, so I decided to look into the Norge.

After selling the KLR to a family of adventurers, I had room for a new bike.
    Here is my new Norge ...
    [​IMG][/IMG]

Dave at Moto International in Seattle was very helpful and enjoyable to deal with. So I decided to see what the Norge will do. I took it on a short run to Wenatchee to put some miles on before our big couples ride to Montana.

So I went out to Enumclaw and headed up Highway 410 to Yakima.
    [​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

Here I am near the top of Chinook Pass
    [​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

I then rode into Yakima and through to Ellinsburg. I met my freind in Quincy for Lunch. We went to his house in Wenatchee for a couple of hours and I then rode home via Bluett Pass and I 90.

Here are my first impressions of the Moto Guzzi Norge.
    I love the power. Great right off the line and plenty of passing power even in 6th gear. If I was going 70 mph and I wanted to pass a big semi. I got into the left lane, and rolled on the throttle, and by the time I was around the beast I was doing 90mph. Slow down!
    Freeway riding is a dream. It takes the bumps well and the wind protection leaves you with the feeling that you are on a motorcycle but not getting beat up by the wind. No Buffeting of any kind! Some wind here and there but I could get totally out of it by ducking my head down 2 or 3 inches. Then I was forced to look through the windshield, which I did not like.
    The cornering was wonderful. I am not an aggressive rider, so I did not scrape the center stand, but I am noticing the tires are scuffed all the way over.
    Seat comfort. I have never ridden a 400 mile day before and this was a dream. I did not have any problem with my butt getting tired or sore. Now, I did take plenty of breaks and got off every once and awhile.
    Here I am at the outside of CleElum
    [​IMG][/IMG]

Fuel mileage. So far I have got 45+ MPG That is right there in what I wanted. I have a hard time with a motorcycle getting less mileage than a car...
    Looks. I love the looks of this bike. I never wanted a black motorcycle, but this one looks almost midnight blue in the sunlight
    [​IMG][/IMG]

All in all I am extremely happy with this bike. I am surprised that more people have not discovered Moto Guzzi's
  2. RideDualSport.com

RideDualSport.com Zut alors!

Oddometer:
    Wow, that is a beautiful bike! Dave sold me my very first Moto Guzzi, in 1984! It was a Lemans MkIII. I might make my way to a Norge, some day!
    Cheers.
  3. Mista Vern

Mista Vern Knows All - Tells Some.

Oddometer:
    Lovely bike and glad you like it! :clap
  4. gusanito

gusanito Mindless Wonderer

Oddometer:
    Great story and nice bike.
    Good luck and congrats.
    Actually, a few of us discovered Guzzis a long time ago.
    You might want to check them out here.

George
  5. natez1

natez1 Gear Head Deluxe

Oddometer:
    I like the Norge but am more of a vintage guy and thus was looking at the California Vintage. My question if how was the experience at Moto International? I hear good things on the interweb but always like first-hand experience.How was the staff and Dave, pleasent to work with? answer questions without looking down on you?What was their test ride policy? Thanks for letting me but in and ask.Great looking bike by the way!
  6. JohnDavid

JohnDavid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This thread makes me want a MG Norge!!!

.... :rolleyes Thanks just what I needed... another bike to lust over.

I am short too. So the Norge fits better than the FJR? I need to go sit on one at my dealer.
  7. Wistrick

Wistrick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I love my Norge 09....Despite the fact I am gonna have to take it in under warranty to have the front engine seal fixed...Oil leak....only other gripe is the heat on my feet when temps are over 95....but a ecu reflash will usually solve that issue

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

great bike, wife llikes it much better for 2up for than the vfr

Dan
  8. XTrooper

XTrooper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Retired and living in the mountains of NE PA
    Beautiful bikes, guys!

I'm currently riding a '09 BMW R1200RT, but the Norge really intrigues me. I love the RT, but I'm easily bored and rarely keep vehicles more than 3 or 4 years. When I start looking for a replacement for my RT, the Norge is going to be a top contender.

The only thing that really concerns me is the lack of cruise control. With my old, arthritic hands, cruise is a necessity, not a luxury. Are there good, aftermarket fixes for the lack of a factory cruise control option?

Thanks!
  9. cpallen

cpallen Nearly Adventurer

Oddometer:

I also recently purchased a motorcycle (Aprilia) from Dave at Moto International and he was great in every way. They have a very liberal test ride policy, good prices and selection. Warning: This is a real motorcycle shop that makes their living by selling and servicing motorcycles. It's not a boutique or an accessory store. Love it!
  10. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    Oh man I love Norges. Pretty much my dream bike at the moment and has been for quite a while. Congrats on the new ride, it's gorgeous :thumb
  11. marshrat

marshrat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What Dog said!
  12. ManitouMike

ManitouMike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No complaints here!
    [​IMG]
  13. PalePhase

PalePhase Humour Noir

Oddometer:
    That is the best-looking touring bike I have ever seen. :tb I thought I wanted one when they first came out. Now I know I do. :brow
  14. XT_Driftwood

XT_Driftwood Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Congrats on the new bike! The Norge is the best looking sport-tourer currently made, IMO. Yours looks great in black! I came very close to pulling the trigger on a leftover '07 a couple years ago. The dealer offered me a great deal but I needed some time to mull it over, and the next thing I knew the dealer had given up the Guzzi franchise. Now I don't know if there is a decent Guzzi dealer in upstate NY at all. :(:
  15. Scott of the Sahara

Oddometer:
    There are people who come from across the country to do business with Dave at Moto International in Seattle. I just had my 600 mile service done and I am happy with the quality of the service. It was a treat for me to watch how everything was done.

Moto Guzzi The OTHER V twin.
  16. Scott of the Sahara

Oddometer:
    "The only thing that really concerns me is the lack of cruise control. With my old, arthritic hands, cruise is a necessity, not a luxury. Are there good, aftermarket fixes for the lack of a factory cruise control option?"

I do not know of any cruise control options. I think you may be able to use a throttle lock system. So far I am good with the old fashoned way. If my hands get tired then I need a break.
  17. D-Mac

D-Mac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Beautiful bike! I just picked up a R1200RT, but I might have gone with a Norge if we had a dealer within 200 miles that had one. Very comparable bikes IMO.

Enjoy!!
  18. beeper

beeper Badger tickler

Oddometer:
    Beautiful bike! Up until recently I had paid little attention to the Guzzi's until I spotted a Norge. I think I've found my next bike. :D
  19. IslandMonkey

IslandMonkey inselaffe

Oddometer:
    Stunningly beautiful in black. I came very close to buying one of these (or a Stelvio) a few months ago. Played a little safe in the end (though very happy with what I've got) but MG know how a bike should look.
  20. SeaTex

SeaTex now on mountain time

Oddometer:
    Congrats on a nice bike. Say hi to Dave, Micha and co. from Mark in Denver. I used to live a few blocks from MI and that proximity made Guzzi--and Aprilia-- ownership a fantastic experience. They are great people and super-helpful.