New Hobby - Para gliding/motoring. Dirt bikes of the sky!

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by Hodakaguy, Jan 24, 2015.

1. Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy NorthWest Adventure Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sold the KTM a while back and decided to get into Para gliding/motoring. Recently purchased a used Woody Valley Velvet 2 Harness and today picked up a used Ozone Buzz Z4 wing from a friend. Ultimately I want to get into Paramotoring and fly some of my favorite spots in NV, would be soooo much fun to do ADV style flights :-)

My plan is to get my gliding certification (P2 rating) then transition into motor's. I want a very solid understanding of the wing as I progress into motoring.

I'll keep this thread updated as my training progresses. :D

Harness showed up, still need to pick up a reserve for it :-)

[​IMG]

At my friend Trevor's checking out my harness, decided to hang the harness and try it on for size. The harness fit perfectly, nice and comfy!

[​IMG]

While I was there I tried on Trevor's Mini Plane Top80 Motor. Oh Yeah!

[​IMG]

The Mini Plane a very nice unit, it's the same one I'll be buying after I get my glider rating.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Today I went up to a local flying site with Trevor to check it out and learn some more in the process, I also purchased my Buzz Z4 wing while I was there today :-)

I learned quite a bit today up on the hill and got to practice kiting with two different wings....Fun Stuff!

I got to meet a great bunch of local guys that are into the sport and watch them get some air time. Winds weren't quite ideal (a little on the light side) but they were able to get some soaring in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Trevor getting ready to launch.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The winds were pretty smooth so I was able to get in some kiting practice. First up I tried Trevor's speed wing, the smaller size of this wing made it easier to get the feel for kiting. Practicing kiting allows you to learn control of the gilder, a very critical aspect of flying as a good share of accidents happen on launch. Thanks Trevor for the lessons!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And it's up!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next up I hooked into my harness and decided to give kiting a try with my Ozone wing. A local pilot named Matt was giving me the run down on proper technique and routine. Thanks Matt!

[​IMG]

KTM colors!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More to come!

Hodakaguy
    OConnor, JOKER650, Sundowner and 3 others like this.
  2. XpressCS

XpressCS Must. Have. Lumens..

Oddometer:
    Nice. I have a buddy who does the paramotor thing. Real rad guy, always gets real neat videos from up there. He lives up in that area too.
  3. krautman

krautman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very cool ! There are always some guys " flying " near SLC just north of me .
  4. nigelcorn

nigelcorn Wannabe.

Oddometer:
    This always seemed like a lot of fun.
  5. CousinLarry

CousinLarry Ridin Dirty

Oddometer:
    Sick! I've wanted one of those forever.. Did the airplane thing, too expensive!! I think one of these would be the ticket for getting up there rather safely and still semi-inexpensive.

What's a whole rig go for if you purchase some things used? I was thinking less than $5k total?! One day!!
  6. Tinfish

Tinfish Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll be watching this with interest; it is something I've been interested in for a few years now.
  7. Apxgrndr

Apxgrndr In the snow

Oddometer:
    I will tag this for sure! I just got back into flying but it is quite expensive. The only downside to the paragliding is getting the right weather(depending where you live).
    I guess the motor helps you to fly when there is less than ideal winds?

I did a tandem paraglide in Switzerland once and it was nothing short of amazing!

Good luck with you're training!
  8. slackmeyer

slackmeyer Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer:
    Lot of folks do that just outside of Cashmere, from up the canyon I used to live by. Looks like fun.

How much payload could you reasonably take for paramotoring camping? And are you SOL if you camp somewhere and then don't have enough wind to get your wing up the next day?
  9. Hodakaguy

Oddometer:
    Yeah I've been into fixed wing aviation as well, the fun to dollar ratio really seems to be skewed in the wrong direction though and we finally sold our last plane (a 1938 J3 Cub) a few years back. Paramotoring is an affordable way for me to get back in the air :1drink

You can get some good deals on clean used gear. You can pick up a used wing for the $1500-2000 range and a used harness in the $300-$500 range (used for gliding). Prices on motors are all over the map depending on what model you want, how old it is etc but plan on the $3-$5K range of the motor. Overall very affordable in aviation.

Hodakaguy
  10. Hodakaguy

Oddometer:
    Thanks, yeah the motoring is mainly for calmer days, mornings and evenings are great. Living in the desert I should have lots of great motor flying days :D

Hodakaguy
  11. Hodakaguy

Oddometer:
    Camping can be done with a Paramotor but it's pretty risky, you have a limited ability to carry gear safely and if you wake up and the weather has deteriorated then your stuck. My plan is to take our van or truck down to NV with the Paramotor, find a great area to camp (next to a hot spring etc) then fly the area in the mornings/evenings. Once you check out that area move on to a new camping location. During the day you can use the truck to explore the surrounding areas from the ground.

Hodakaguy
  12. Hodakaguy

Oddometer:
    Not a lot new lately on the Paragliding front, been waiting for good weather (raining here currently). Did manage to go out with some friends for a couple hrs last weekend when there was a small break in the weather. My friends Daughter got a little air time in, I think it was Skylar's 14th flight. Figured I'd post some pics and a short vid of Skylar's flight to keep the thread alive :-)

Hope to be joining her in the air soon. :freaky

Hodakaguy

Dad and Daughter checking out the conditions and unpacking the wing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ready to fly!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And into the air she goes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here's a short video of the flight.

<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/S43p5uUmbRE" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>
    Sundowner and shinyribs like this.
  13. DakarNick

DakarNick Swabee

Oddometer:
    Awesome! I've looked into powered rigs. I really have no paragliding interest but would love a paramotor. A small trike would be great for my son when he gets older but I believe those require a license? I can't remember.
  14. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
  15. UngaWunga

UngaWunga Mosquito bait

Oddometer:
    two years ago at a local ultralight fly-in, I saw a guy try to take off in a trike paramotor. He got the wing in the air, got moving forward, wing collapsed and dragged him sideways since the wing collapsed to the right and tilted that way. Almost flipped the rig.

So I went to get my pilot's license instead. :lol3

But paragliding has always been interesting to me.
  16. Hodakaguy

Oddometer:
    Yeah the Paramotor is my real desire as well, but getting your gilder rating and becoming good with a glider will hone your flying skills (and still looks like fun as well :-)

Hodakaguy
  17. hugemoth

hugemoth Bad Motorscooter

Oddometer:
    Us old guys need wheels but running into the air does sound like fun. 18 years flying PPCs for me so far, no accidents and no regrets.
  18. Concow Mower

Concow Mower Wild Doggie

Oddometer:
    Just a couple of miles east of Paradise Ca.
    There was a pretty big Paragliding get together at Salton City last week end.

My take on this activity is, any time the "landing gear" consists only of my legs, it ain't happenin! No days, No way! :(: Must have landing gear! :clap

Cheers
    Dave
  19. interceptor4

interceptor4 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

No license necessary for a trike paramotor.

I've been paramotoring for about 36 months now and love it. I have no regrets in getting into the sport but living in northern Ohio and flyable weather doesn't come around enough. I fly as often as possible and only get maybe 2 dozen flights in a year. I guess I will have to start taking vacation that are dedicated to the sport. Utah is on the top of my list, followed by Arizona.
  20. Hodakaguy

Oddometer:
    Maybe we'll fly together some time at the Alvord :1drink

Hodakaguy