West Virginia: Hatfield-McCoy Trails - Tracks & Free Garmin Maps

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida' started by craftycoder, Feb 24, 2010.

1. intothenew

intothenew Briar Patch Navigator

Oddometer:
    I have, and still plan some of my rides using the parks as vias. There is a lot of good riding in between them. These routeable maps allow for a little cleaner planning.

It is forbidden for you to ingress and egress except for the designated trail heads. But, many of the parks have trail heads on opposite ends allowing for them to be stitched together.

So, you can treat them as a sand box. Or, you can use them as via to a destination. And, certainly pick up a map when you enter, they are very dynamic.
  2. craftycoder

craftycoder Motobrain PDU

Oddometer:
    Damn Bob, you do get around. You very well may be correct about the maps utility. I've never been there, but having some trail maps super imposed on my CN maps doesn't sound like it will hurt when I do get my butt out there.

Mainly, it seemed like a nice way to expand my map making skills. The skill you introduced me too. Thanks for that BTW. :thumb
  3. JonF

JonF n00b

Oddometer:
    crafty, could you export them as a GPX track? i just want to have something to follow on my Delorme unit when i visit there this May. PM me if this is possible. Thanks, jon.
  4. TowPro

TowPro Single Track Geezer

Oddometer:
    CC, Any chance you have something for Indian Ridge?

Now to figure out how to get your colors over to Delorme Topo 8. :D

I think I need to convert the shp file to a txt file and I can import it into topo 8
  5. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    No, I didn't know about another area. I'll look into it. If you want to ride it and send me tracks, I make a map out of it. :deal
  6. TowPro

Oddometer:
    Looks like I am going down there Memorial Day weekend.
    Staying in Welch I think. We will ride Saturday and Sunday.
    I am told we can ride Pinnacle Creek or Indian Ridge Trials, or "free lance" in this large area south of Welch.
    Here is a link to the Indian Ridge system map.
    http://www.trailsheaven.com/shared/content/Page_objects/IndianRidge%20March%202010.pdf
    I just want to have all the maps already loaded on the PN40 before I leave.

Then 10 day later I leave on the other bike to proof ride the TPAT. :D
  7. intothenew

Oddometer:

Unless you have your heart set on Welch, stay at the Executive in Pineville or the Ashland Resort in Ashland.

The Executive is within about ten minutes of the Pinnacle trail head. There is a restaurant and bar in the motel. It's a decent place for about 65 bucks.

The Ashland Resort is a trail head for the Indian Ridge system. It was a KOA Kampground, but just recently changed hands. They have Kabins and a shower house, all relatively new. The Ashland Company store serves food. Beer and gas is a few miles away in either Keystone or Upland.

You can ride between the two in about thirty minutes with a minimum of pavement. There is plenty of "free lance" also.
  8. flea biker

flea biker flea biker

Oddometer:
    Crafty thanks for posting your gps tracks for Hatfield-McCoy trails.
    Do I need to join the gpsxchange.com to access the downloads?
  9. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    The gpx file is a gpsxchange, and you need to join and contribute. That is a trivial matter though. The Garmin maps are at gPSfiledepot.com. That link is in the first post.
  10. TowPro

Oddometer:
    When I was down at Hatfield everyone was talking about "the outlaw trails". Some of the guys never even went in the actual Hatfield McCoy Trail area.
    The first thing the lady at the hotel asked was "your not riding the hatfield trails are ya? You really want to ride the outlaw trails"
    They were even selling "I Rode the Outlaw Trails" tee shirts with a guides phone number on them.
    We rode only the hatfield trails.

One other thing that stood out to me was all the locals riding 4 wheelers on the roads. Some of them looked like they never ever saw dirt, just blacktop. Were talking shorts, flip flop, no helmet with beer cooler on the back type riding.

I think were going back in November.
  11. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Jeff@TheQuadShop TAT survivor, TOI T1 finisher

Oddometer:
    Which HM area were you at?
  12. intothenew

Oddometer:

Outlaw is, as Outlaw does.

HM has some rules that rub many of the locals wrong, and they enforce them. Wear a helmet, no alcohol, out by dark, etc. So, the "Outlaws" simply ride the other 99.99999% of the state.

"WV is a trail", coined by mikebike4. Gas well roads, logging roads, mine roads, and the forgotten county roads are only "Outlaw" when you ride with only a buff, a Bud light in one hand, and one of those left handers in the other. It is legal, on certain argumentative roads, to travel as much as 10 miles on pavement with a quad. We, bikes and quads, have for the past five years, taken a week of vacation and traveled 500-600 miles legally. Some of it HM, most of it not.

The Twvt takes advantage of the fact that "WV is a trail".

Outlaw is, as Outlaw does.
  13. Spinalcracker

Spinalcracker former redriderofma

Oddometer:
    Last post on this thread was 2010.

I'm going to be in that area in May2013 Is there any new info on the route? I'm on a 800GS by myself so I'm looking for kind of easy dirt.
  14. fishtop_records

fishtop_records Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow, Thanks Crafty. These look wonderful. I'm going to Buffalo Mountain this weekend, and your trail map will be very useful. Thanks