Good place to buy a new battery

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by MotorcycleWriter, Jul 1, 2013.

1. MotorcycleWriter

MotorcycleWriter Vis ad locum

Oddometer:
    My Husky TE-250 needs a new battery. I buy motorcycle batteries so seldom I have no idea where the best place to get a new battery might be, or even if there is a best place. Any suggestions?

John
  2. concours

concours WFO for 50 years

Oddometer:
  3. bwringer

bwringer Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer:
  4. kubiak

kubiak Long timer

Oddometer:
    if you live by a cycle gear they offer lifetime warranty batteries there. i dont know how they do it though.
  5. duck

duck Banned

Oddometer:
    Be careful buying batteries online. Many batt sites make it look like you're buying a brand name battery but if you read the fine print you'll see the words "replacement for" and what you're actually buying is a generic substitute.
  6. clapped_r6

clapped_r6 The Spoad Warrior

Oddometer:
  7. Wattner

Wattner Long timer

Oddometer:
    I went to batteries plus and they had 2 models for my bike... One with a 5 year warranty

Shops all over te place to swap if needed

Was only $85.00

I've tried several of the new fangled, lightweight must have, greater than anything batteries and they are all dead after a short time and cost a ton.

I'm sure some are better than others, but for the price, I'm ok with a heavier 5 year warrantied unit
  8. Hikertrash

Hikertrash Wasted Rock Ranger

Oddometer:
    Amazon
  9. maxjett

maxjett Ride with Rocko

Oddometer:
    Batterystuff.com

good prices and free Priority shipping
  10. browneye

browneye PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer:
    Walmart.

Yep. Not kidding. They are AGM made my johnson controls and as good as anything out there for an AGM.

The key for any lead-acid battery is to keep it charged up - get a smart/trickle charger while you're in there. If the bike is gonna sit for more than a week or so put the charger on it. I hook mine up every couple of weeks if they're not being ridden. Batteries last me at least four or five years.
  11. SnowMule

SnowMule still learning what is and isn't edible Super Supporter

Oddometer:
  12. sloweddy

sloweddy Tree Hugger

Oddometer:
    You might pay more than you would at Walmart or shopping on-line, but supporting local business can be worthwhile.

Sometimes people get so focused on paying the very least they can for a product they forget about the consequences of those decisions.

http://www.ilsr.org/why-support-locally-owned-businesses/

from the link above:

"1. Local Character and Prosperity
    In an increasingly homogenized world, communities that preserve their one-of-a-kind businesses and distinctive character have an economic advantage.

2. Community Well-Being
    Locally owned businesses build strong communities by sustaining vibrant town centers, linking neighbors in a web of economic and social relationships, and contributing to local causes.

3. Local Decision-Making
    Local ownership ensures that important decisions are made locally by people who live in the community and who will feel the impacts of those decisions.

4. Keeping Dollars in the Local Economy
    Compared to chain stores, locally owned businesses recycle a much larger share of their revenue back into the local economy, enriching the whole community.

5. Job and Wages
    Locally owned businesses create more jobs locally and, in some sectors, provide better wages and benefits than chains do.

6. Entrepreneurship
    Entrepreneurship fuels America’s economic innovation and prosperity, and serves as a key means for families to move out of low-wage jobs and into the middle class.

7. Public Benefits and Costs
    Local stores in town centers require comparatively little infrastructure and make more efficient use of public services relative to big box stores and strip shopping malls.

8. Environmental Sustainability
    Local stores help to sustain vibrant, compact, walkable town centers-which in turn are essential to reducing sprawl, automobile use, habitat loss, and air and water pollution.

9. Competition
    A marketplace of tens of thousands of small businesses is the best way to ensure innovation and low prices over the long-term.

10. Product Diversity
    A multitude of small businesses, each selecting products based, not on a national sales plan, but on their own interests and the needs of their local customers, guarantees a much broader range of product choices."

http://www.forbes.com/sites/tjmccue...-local-top-ways-to-support-independent-shops/

from the link above:

"Google Now may level the playing field for independent business. Walmart is often cited as the death of main street. The big box stores are to blame for all of our job woes and economic challenges. Independent retailers taking their last breaths thanks to Home Depot, Target, Best Buy, not to mention Amazon with its online dominance. But Google Now may turn the tide for some of these smaller, indie shops."

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...-kill-local-small-businesses-article-1.140129

from the link above:

"Countless communities, and peer-reviewed surveys across the country, all reach the same conclusion: When Walmart moves in, small businesses, and jobs, move out; Main St. dies."

http://pubadvocate.nyc.gov/news/201...s-less-small-businesses-more-burden-taxpayers
    from the link above:

“Studies from all across the country show that Wal-Mart's arrival does not bring the increase in jobs and retail spending that the company promises,” said Brian Paul, Center Fellow and Masters of Urban Planning Candidate at Hunter College. “Instead, Wal-Mart captures spending from existing stores, driving them out of business and replacing existing retail jobs with lower-paying Wal-Mart jobs.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/timwors...s-retail-jobs-thats-the-darn-point-of-it-all/
    from the link above:

"Of Course WalMart Destroys Retail Jobs: That's The Darn Point Of It All

I really must stop reading Daily Kos: it does my blood pressure no good at all. For example, here’s a complaint that WalMart destroys retail jobs by opening a store in an area. Well, yes, of course it does, that’s the whole point of this game we call the economy"
  13. Rockynight

Rockynight n00b

Oddometer:
    I use my local dealer whenever possible.

That way they will be there when you want to see the new bikes and not have to travel as far.
  14. ERD

ERD Custom Rider

Oddometer:
    I think one of the main reason why brick and mortor shops are out of business and often cannot compete with mail order house is insurance and liability.

Brick and mortor shop has to carry insurance and can be sued - unlike the mysterious and unknown location of a mail order house that can even be operating overseas to avoid tax, liability and insurance.

To bring it back to the point of this post - if you bought a battery from a local shop and installed it yourself and the battery was defective which caused it to melt down the bike wiring - guess who pays for the repair or face a lawsuit, BBB case, or possibly a nasty reporter from the local station if they do not step up and take on liability? In the same scenario where you ordered the the same battery from a mail order house - you are SOL'd.

On a different note. If you purchase a battery, verify the born-on-date as the battery life starts the day it was activated. I generally recommend purchasing a pre-activated battery to ensure the freshness. Also have a float charger to top off a new battery to ensure maximum life and always keep the battery on a tender/float charger when not in sure for extended period.
  15. duck

duck Banned

Oddometer:
    B&M shops also have to carry a certain amount if inventory which ties up capital and requires floor space/storage which costs money. Many online vendors can ship from a distribution center or straight from a manufacturer to avoid those costs.
  16. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Locally I can choose from either brand of dollar store or an IGA & a Southern States farm supply. This support local thing is not in the picture & I doubt it is logical for many MC search items.
  17. NJ Moto

NJ Moto Glory Bound

Oddometer:
  18. MerrellJr

MerrellJr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have purchased several batteries on line over the past few years. Some were good, some no so good. While trying to save a buck I bought what was a replacement battery for my bike adnd had to sort out my own adapter for attaching the leads properly. WIth such a shorter life for the price I know found Auto-Zone had my battery as a AGM for $99. This is $60 less than the cycle branded battery. Its all a matter of personal preference. I enjoy my local auto parts and cycle stores.
  19. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Check out Antigravity LiPOFe batteries. Loose pounds, gain space, save on buying replacements, & ditch the trickle charger. Costs a little more but, hey, your worth it. They even give an ADV Rider discount.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
  20. hyperboarder

hyperboarder Potato Farmer

Oddometer:
    Got my Motobatt of eBay and an AGM off Amazon.