The future of diesel passenger cars in the US

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by McCormack, Jul 3, 2013.

1. McCormack

McCormack Cronkite of CSM

Oddometer:
    The Passat TDI thread has me wondering about the future of diesel in the US.

Anyone have news about upcoming offerings for diesel passenger cars here in the States? I seem to keep hearing that stuff is coming, but it never does.

I really miss my Jetta TDI, but don't miss the inept VW support at all. I think I heard that Mazda may be bringing diesels over?

My Subaru salesman says that the Subaru bigwigs kinda clam up at the regional meeting when questions about diesels are asked (I so want a Crosstreck with turbo diesel and 6 speed manual :tb ).

What about BMW?

Ford should have a Fusion diesel, dammit!

So, anyone have the scoop on diesels?
  2. mark883

mark883 and the mysterians

Oddometer:
    Chevy Cruze diesel. Its new (for US- not Europe) with impressive MPG, from what I hear.
  3. McCormack

Oddometer:
    Wow! I had no idea. I see it's only in automatic. Damn!
  4. meatsack

meatsack Moto-idiot

Oddometer:
    This months Motor Trend has a little bit of info on small passenger car diesel offerings in the US.

Off the top of my head:
    Mazda 6 (2.2L Diesel)
    VW
    BMW
    Mercedes
    Chevy (Cruze Diesel)
    Dodge (upcoming V6 Diesel)
    Umm... I know I'm missing one.
  5. DriveShaft

DriveShaft Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, theres' the jeep offering, right? although I hear the liberty is going away.
  6. SteelJM1

SteelJM1 Former Undercover KTM rider

Oddometer:
    I don't really think there is too much of a future for them here anymore. What I see is ever better efficient gasoline engines coming out which knock on the door of diesel mileage (like the Mazda 6; 2.5l, 185 torques, 185 hp, 37mpg highway), with otherwise cheaper fuel, less specialized maintainence and emissions controls, and a much more supportive infastructure. Not to mention that we're slowly but surely moving towards electric cars.
  7. HammerMacGreed

HammerMacGreed Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd kill for a new small Toyota pickup with a diesel like they had in europe. Love my 1990 pickup, but the v6 4wd gets 14/18 mpg with 150hp and 180#s. Shoving a TDI in there with 140HP and 236#s that gets 30/42mpg would be a god send.
  8. dirt hokie

dirt hokie Long timer

Oddometer:
    in the USA, girls mostly buy the small cars, and girls don't like smelly diesel fumes. Young women don't think about cars the same as men, so its hard to convince them to buy a diesel for a few extra mpg and torque. They don't even know what torque is. I know, I know there are some who do care about this stuff.
  9. McCormack

Oddometer:
    I rented a Nissan diesel pickup in Chile a few months ago. Really incredible mileage! I never even had to refuel it.
  10. blake716

blake716 nine toes

Oddometer:
    That would be sweet.
  11. R-1150-RS

R-1150-RS Long timer

Oddometer:
    The reason why diesel is more 'efficient' is that diesel fuel is denser than gasoline. (More energy is available in a denser fuel than a lighter one, even if the lighter one is more volitile.) You will always have a 25 - 30 % energy advantage with diesel than gas.

While I agree the margin is narrowing with all manufacturers trying to improve on engine efficiency, as the prices of fuel continues to climb (which they will), any inherent 'fuel efficiency gap' will be exaggerated.

What is more holding back the acceptance in N America is the differences in technology that scares those not familiar with diesel, and the initial cost difference to buy diesel.

Of the several advantages of diesel is how it is typically priced cheaper, and this helps the pay-back point to be within the typical ownership time to where there is an over-all savings.

I can see how there would be reluctance to go the diesel route if you have no experience with the benefits.

Gary
    :) :)
  12. RocketJohn

RocketJohn Hook 'em Horns! Supporter

Oddometer:
    we need more diesel SUVs and Pickups... small car, VW or Audi...
  13. Sniper X

Sniper X De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer:
    Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
    in a turbo D it is better to have an auto I would think.
  14. McCormack

Oddometer:
    No!

Autos are a spawn of the devil.

I want an upgrade sedan with turbo diesel, 6 speed manual and leather, and not dealing with the fuckwits at VW! :deal
  15. B-Rod

B-Rod RubberNecker

Oddometer:
    Must be driving he wrong auto. I currently am driving my first auto, and it shifts so smooth, it's like butter. I don't think I want to go back. I don't need to prove I am a man by wiggling a stick back and forth. That said, my old Toyota diesels trannies shifted so nice without the clutch, you only needed it to start and stop. Everything in the middle was clutchless.
  16. Kubla

Kubla Long timer

Oddometer:
    What has held up diesel cars in the US is the EPA which hates diesel and the leftover perception of diesel cars from the GM fiasco in the late 70's and early 80's
  17. McCormack

Oddometer:
    Ive heard that a lot. But that's 30+ years ago!

Do Americans somehow get a pass on this subject? Who the hell is alive and buying cars that even remembers those days?
  18. SteelJM1

SteelJM1 Former Undercover KTM rider

Oddometer:
    Until you have to replace the injection pump...

If there was an honest SMALL pickup with a 4 banger diesel that got, say 35mpg, id be interested. Otherwise f150 ecoboost...

Sent from my Tandy 1000 mobile using DOS
  19. cbolling

cbolling Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer:
    Diesels are coming

The US standard is cleaner than the European one right now but the new European standard is almost the same as the current US one.

What this means is that Car makers can now bring over their European diesel engines without modification.
  20. cbolling

cbolling Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer:
    The Ram 1500 will be available with the 3.0 liter diesel from the Jeep Grand Cherokee in 2014.

Should have a lot better mileage