2012 BMW G650GS Sertao Owners

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Psychout, Dec 8, 2011.

1. 80D/20P

80D/20P Adventurer

Oddometer:
    90.5.5, bronson
    I appreciate the input.
    yes, ebc hh seems widely accepted.
    if no one seems to be splitting hairs over hh(sintered) or organic
    then suppose i shouldn't over think it.
    thanks again
  2. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am considering giving these EBC pads a try when the time comes:

http://ebcbrakes.com/product/sintered-brake-pads/

I've used HH pads on my Bandit forever and they are great on the street, but have been hard on my rotors. I think I would like something a little different on the 'Tao. The V-Pads sound like maybe the best of both worlds. I don't expect anyone here has tried these yet?
  3. South fork

South fork Adventurer

Oddometer:
    +1

Check your battery terminals.
  4. Motopsychoman

Oddometer:
    Better yet, put lock washers on the battery bolts like the factory should have...
  5. dunc

dunc Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    have you got some more pics of the single seat setup and the storage piece from different angles
    thanks

6. Motopsychoman

Oddometer:

Dunc, here you go:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All this stuff fits nicely (and there is still more room):
    [​IMG]

Only improvement I want to make to the seat is to ride back to down to Hollister and have Corbin raise the middle by about 1". I'm getting used to sitting higher and it'll be easier on my knees.
  7. dunc

dunc Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    thanks for the pics
    wanted to see how the lid opened as well for clearance reasons and that has been sorted now
    dont think the aussie dealers get that here so may be a stateside buy i think
    thanks again
  8. Wormjello

Wormjello Adventurer

Oddometer:
    LOL! I sat on a R1200R at the dealership and it just felt weird sitting so low.
  9. Motopsychoman

Oddometer:
    My Bandit 1200 has a low seat, narrow handlebar, 100+ HP and weighs about 500 lbs. It feels very funky and dangerous to ride after spending a year on the 'Tao.
  10. Tephrageologist

Tephrageologist Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had the same problem. It was the battery. The sucky, lead acid battery decided to die in Jasper, Alberta when temps dropped to 32F. Once I jump started the bike, everything worked well. I just had to buy jumper cables so I could start it until I reached Montana where a new battery was waiting for me.

When the battery started to go, the engine "hot start" problem started to rear it's ugly head. The bike wouldn't turn over until I let it sit for about 10 min, each time I turned off the engine.

11. mylastbike

mylastbike Long timer

Oddometer:
    My battery died this weekend after I stopped to fill up before a ride with a friend. 2 minute ride to the gas station, gassed up, tried to fire up the engine and nothing. Killed the battery trying to start the engine (even after waiting several minutes) and finally had to call my wife for a jump start. Bike fired right up (of course since it was cool by now). Ditching the OEM battery ASAP and biting the bullet and fixing the decompression lever once and for all. Too bad I have to slab the bike 3+ hours to the nearest BMW dealer for service.
  12. windowto

windowto Long timer

Oddometer:
    That sucks, but you'll be really happy after the fix. Mine starts reliably every time now.

As for the battery, I strongly recommend the Mottobat MB12U battery. It is $82 AGM with 15Amp Hour capacity (the OEM is 12Ah) and it has 4 terminals (in case you want to connect additional accessories). This battery never lets me down. I can have the bike parked for the winter 3-4 months and it will start right up without using a charger.
  13. Gundy

Gundy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is that one any lighter than stock?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  14. TowPro

TowPro Single Track Geezer

Oddometer:
    Where can I find out more about this fix? And in fact any other fixes for the Sertao without reading through 465 pages?
  15. ibgary

ibgary Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have the Shorai, it weighs 2 lbs and has 14 AH. Dealership gave it to me when I bought the bike.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
  16. 80D/20P

80D/20P Adventurer

Oddometer:
    perfect. i was unaware of this option.
    on order now, thank you.
  17. homme de fer

homme de fer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Funny, same thing happened to me this past Friday. I pulled the battery and it was bone dry. Filled it with water and it's good as new.
  18. windowto

windowto Long timer

Oddometer:
    No, it weights the same, maybe even a half pound more, but well worth it in power, reliability, and capacity
  19. windowto

windowto Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can PM me and I'll email you the BMW bulletin regarding the decompression lever (the hot start issue) fix. As for the other part of your question, you can probably look at WayneC1 website (Crossroads), it has a lot of great and useful information in an accessible format.
  20. windowto

windowto Long timer

Oddometer:
    While the Shorai is great for weight savings, it has its own shortcomings. And I assure you that it does not have real 14AH;).

I was originally going to go Shorai as well, but decided against it after doing some research. Yes, it has great CCA (Cold Cranking Amps), but it does not have much of capacity.