Got a 950 Adv, love it, how much better is the 1190?

Discussion in 'Hard. Core. (1090/1190/1290)' started by airwater, Oct 21, 2014.

1. airwater

airwater Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My bike is 10 years old now and I'm considering my next bike options which are realistically going to be either the new BMW water cooled GS or the KTM 1190 Adv. I ride 90% on road, and split my mileage between touring and commuting so I want a do everything bike I can load up. I can ride on the fast side on tarmac.

I'm keen to get the views of anyone going from either the 950/990 to the 1190 and what they think of it, how much of an upgrade is it? I'm conscious that I will have to lay down around £6,000 additional spend so want to feel more than an incremental improvement for what will be the best part of £6000 additional spend. I know I could take a test ride but I probably won't.

I'm also keen to hear if anyone has ridden the 1190 and decided to stick with their 950/990.

How does the handling, fun-factor and braking compare to the 950/990. I already find the 950 good enough acceleration-wise but I'm sure that there could be more smiles with the extra power. I love the suspension on the 950 but and the fork doesn't bother me so if they've hardened up the suspension to eliminate fork dive on the 1190 this would probably be a bad thing for me? One thing I don't like about the 950 is the really light front end under heavy acceleration making it difficult to change direction, I think this is down to the 21" front wheel but possibly would affect all powerful bikes. I haven't ridden many other machines.
  2. crashmaster

crashmaster ow, my balls!

Oddometer:
    You're riding 90% pavement? No comparison IMO. The 1190 will make you giggle like a little girl.

After a few days on an 1190, I decided to keep my 990. However, that is only because I'm not riding the big bike as much as I used to so dropping big cash on a new 1190 would not have made sense for me.

I have not ridden the R only the Standard. I was shocked at how well it handled in mountain twisties and how fast and well refined it is. The handling, acceleration as well as the braking/ABS is worlds better than the 990. I like the electronic dial a suspension as well as the TC. For mostly street use, way more than an incremental improvement. Off road, I feel it handles very close to my 990, and that was the standard with the 19" front. Great bike.

I don't think you would be even close to being disappointed, but you should still go ride one first.
  3. Aussijussi

Aussijussi Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've got the 990 adv 06', and after testing the 1190, I'd buy it in a blink of an eye. The handling with the 19/17 wheels was just fantastic, only to look at a corner and the bike was already turning, I was impressed with the power as well. If you asked me, I'd say go for it.
  4. scudrunner82

scudrunner82 combustion addict

Oddometer:
    If you think the front end gets light under acceleration on the 950, the 1190 certainly won't be better. :lol3
    3rd gear power wheelies all day.

If you spring for the 1190R you don't give any dirt capability up over a 950, and on the road is no contest. All are great bikes. If you don't plan on much real off road the standard model may be a better option, but I prefer the slower steering and bigger wheels for touring on the R model.
  5. airwater

Oddometer:
    Pretty unanimous then.

Is there anything quantitative such as a track lap comparison between the 950 and 1190 you know about? I think that will give me a good idea of 'real world' differences in getting from A to B.
  6. oldfuddy

oldfuddy Long timer

Oddometer:
    No lap comparison data needed. The 1190 isn't going to give up anything to the 950 in the corners and the 950 hasn't got anything for the 1190 out of the corners, into the corners, or down the straights. An inmate here saw 154mph down a straight at his track on his 1190R... thats nowhere land for the 950. But the 950 will get you arrested just as quick as the 1190 will.
  7. Chuckracer

Chuckracer Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer:
    Yer funny. You "love" your 950, but you want a new bike and want to justify the £6000 cash outlay.

If you want a new bike, go get a new bike. I have no doubt the 1190 is a better streetbike in every way than the 950. :D

There ya go! :lol3
  8. scudrunner82

Oddometer:

Hey trouble maker, you get a track bike yet? Just got some new leather for next seasons NYST fun :wink:
  9. HellsAlien

HellsAlien a has-been that never-was Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1 to what oldf said. The 1190 feels 50 to 100% better as a performance bike than my 950. Haven't had one on the track, but my 950 has more than held its own on long and short course asphalt tracks. I am certain I could hammer a 950 on any track with the 1190 and be riding with more margin. The 1190 feels more balanced in spite of the increase in power. And all the "buttons" really work well. Amazing bike.

But I will happily keep the 950 for now, I don't want to start a $20K farkle project just now; maybe later!
  10. RumRunner

RumRunner Sit there, turn that

Oddometer:
    Airwater, I think you should go for the 1190R, it sounds perfect for what you would like to do. When I get old, I'll trade my LC8 in for one too...lol

DW
  11. Doug Matson

Doug Matson Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Got one of the first three 950's in SoCal back in 03'. Sold the 950 this Jan to get the 1190S. The 1190 is better in every way. Smoother, way better mpg, much better brakes, the traction control and abs off road no contest also the 1190 will turn in half the distance of what the 950 needed . I loved my 950 and i would have kept it just because of that but no room in the garage. Go test a 1190 see for yourself.
  12. airwater

Oddometer:
    This is pretty big to me because top end on street riding is not lacking with the 950 but if I can turn and stop it quicker, those are big sellers for me. Do other people concur that it turns much faster?
  13. DesertSurfer

DesertSurfer Tail sprayin

Oddometer:
    Even though the 950 has the best damn carb'd hi pro twin put into a dirtbike paired with an amazing frame and suspension when dialed in...It's the bare essentials in an adventure touring package. If you're pounding ruts and rocks in Baja it's a simple and effective tool. In the outback often times less is more. And feedback is all part of the offroad experience.

The 1190 is a sophisticated amalgamation of the best things learned and improved over the 10 years of the 9xx experience... right down to the enth degree of adjustability. These upgrades may not be as greatly appreciated pounding bumps along Baja's sand washes heading into San Felipe. But challenging a 700 mile day from point A to Mt. B along every road condition will highlight all the electronic brilliance built into this bike and allow you the energy to hop off the bike at the end of the day... And step into a line dancing contest to win the cowgirls hand.

My experience riding the 1190 revealed that it's silky smooth... From every aspect. Granted you really need ample time to learn it's adjustments and settings. But it's truly light years ahead of the 950. Where the 950 is a pair of Carhartt jeans... The 1190 is a James Bond Tux., always impressive yet ready to kick some serious ass!
  14. The Walrus

The Walrus Gone and back again.

Oddometer:
    I've ridden both versions of the 1190 and they are both solid machines. I personally don't want or need the amount of electronics on the standard so I'd choose the R but if I was 90% road warrior, the standard does handle a bit better with the 19/17 wheel combo.

Go ride them and I'm sure you'll want either over the Church of BMW offerings.

:lol3
  15. abruzzi

abruzzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    One small comment. People (and tire manufacturers) like to throw out the on/off road percentages, because it is simple, but it doesn't really matter that only 10% of your riding is off-road, but what kind of offroad that 10% is. My old 950 (and my current one) really only got 10% off road usage, but that offroad was difficult singletrack that I would never take my GS on. I probably wouldn't take an 1190 on either due to the 19" front wheel (though I've not yet had a chance to test one, so I remain willing to be convinced otherwise.)

The difficulty of the off road means accepting limitations on road. Knobbies don't grip like pilot powers, 21" front wheels don't handle as well. And of course the reverse is also true. MT90s are decent compromises, but there are lots of places I wouldn't take them.
  16. scudrunner82

Oddometer:

They make a 21/18 inch version too :norton
  17. Chuckracer

Chuckracer Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer:
    My old 950 had 19/17 wheels on it which I thought were cool at the time, but now I know they neutered the bike off road. I've also ridden both bikes to Deals Gap and for as hard as I was willing to push on the street found no negative handling traits with the 21/18 wheels.

I ride off road probably 50% of the time, but of that 50% I'm pushing it maybe less then 5%. However, I need the bike to work for me with no excuses during that 5%. That's where it really counts. Riding down the street or hard pack dirt roads...anything can do that. For me that last 5% is critical but getting it doesn't negatively affect the other 95%.
  18. Guano11

Guano11 Stop me if you've heard this one....

Oddometer:
    Colorfully articulated -- and likely spot-on.:thumb
    I have a carb'ed 950, still a kick-ass bike. I have not ridden the 1190, but 10yrs of refinement will NOT go un-noticed in this fast-moving market segment.
    Plus, everything (and I mean EVERYTHING) I've read says the ABS/TC's ability to add lean angle to its computations is a legitimate game-changer.
  19. DesertSurfer

DesertSurfer Tail sprayin

Oddometer:
    Thanks for putting up with my indulgent comparison. I was fortunate to test ride Chris Parker of CPR fab's 1190R prior to his designing Rottweiler filters for it. On a serious note, they lightened the crank on that 1190 motor and it spins to redline so quick and smooth you don't even realize it... Thus a dash indicator redline warning...

On the downside, you don't get any benefits of decompression braking, which I rely on heavily on steep soggy declines. But, seriously, I'm over scrutinizing here. The 1190 is a quite a marvel and a serious crush to the competition. Now if they could only get the friggin bodywork sorted... But that's just my humble opinion...
  20. scudrunner82

Oddometer:

Its funny you mention the compression braking. I think its literally the ONLY compliant I have with my 1190. Both on the road and off road I wish it had just a little more. I have a feeling the engine naturally has quite a bit more, but is "tuned" out via the ECU to make it more friendly to ride. Other motorcycles (namely sport bikes) have adjustable engine braking which I think is an awesome feature. Maybe someone will come up with a patch for that someday...