About Schmidt

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Padmei, Aug 13, 2010.

1. innathyzit

innathyzit AKA Woodman

Oddometer:

very good, 2 questions.

Has that bike been in a fairly major prang?

Why did you name it after a Holden?
  2. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Yeah, right!

Oddometer:
    I am not sure if you guys have heard, but Siebenrock.com has %10 off on everything until the 27th. I putting an order through now.
  3. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:

Yep pretty major alright. The frame is twisted by the stem & the subframe was bent onto the back wheel so tight I had to cut it off with a grinder.
    I'm trying to get some info as to the swapability of parts between it & the other boxers. I really like the low seat height & if I can find an appropriate frame I may keep it as a cafe/ track bike until I need spares of it.

Before anyone comments I already know the 65s vibe alot, are underpowered, not popular & that some cafe racers/ custom bikes ruin original bikes that should be kept shiny in garages blah blah blah etc however I'm not going to spend good money on it but if the opportunity arises to have a bit of fun then I will take it. Do I sound defensive? I must have spent too much time on UKGSer.

I was going to call it Berlin until I realised he was a she:D
  4. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Yeah, right!

Oddometer:
    First I had thought you had named it after a sewing machine, but then I realized that these are called Bernina. :lol3
  5. bart-nz

bart-nz Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had a Berlina once. What a POS. This cool bike deserves a much more awesomer name. :lol3

Man, I need a project like that. The kids will leave home in about a decade and a half, so I should have the time and $ then.:cry
  6. NordieBoy

NordieBoy Armature speller

Oddometer:
    Now that's a bike for a leather jacket and matt black open face helmet.

Cash n Trade have a pair of oooold school mx boots that'd almost match too.

But they're Italian...
    Think these in worn condition...
    [​IMG]
  7. Eddieb

Eddieb Long timer

Oddometer:
    So where's a pic of this other thing you have bought Padders?
  8. Steve in NZ

Steve in NZ scared/cheap

Oddometer:
    I was gunna say Bert would be proud of you guys then I saw that R65. (ah no)

ps if ya want a BM to start. 3/4 choke , 2 pumps of the throttle and hit the bingo button, worked fine for me for the last 25 years.

ps. my bikes have exhaust though.

pss. You and noise control on first name basis
  9. Box'a'bits

Box'a'bits In need of repair Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good to see it runs. Was the left header & exhaust squashed? See if you can pinch a banana seat off a chopper pushbike to go with that frame...And do you still trust Supershaft as the font of all knowledge now?

Marlena would be a better name. Marlena de trick, if your are going to modify it (which you can scarely help doing in it's current condition).

So I guess no spare gearbox for me then...:cry

No stocks of exhausts when I looked though. Also the NZD/Euro has been been dropping. Pay to watch that. Finally I think the Germany freight rates are higher than the UK suppliers (?).
  10. Voltaire

Voltaire Triumphant.

Oddometer:
    Frame with live rego...
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/parts-for-sale/frames/auction-477201147.htm
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/parts-for-sale/exhaust/auction-476381263.htm
    both in SI.
    You could also PM maxheadroom and see what he has....I think he was converting a twin shocker to a mono ....he has/had some mono frames.
    or this.... and part yours out....just saying.....
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/classic-vintage/auction-476568908.htm
    Hence my earlier comments on scope creep.....been there regretted that..:D
  11. igormortis

igormortis Cafe Reise

Oddometer:
    Hmmm, was thinking about those mufflers... Is this the point when I jump before Padmei snaps ‘em up?
  12. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
    Actually I think Burt may be proud of it when it's running. I'm not sure about noise control but the neighbours have stopped talking to me - or maybe I couldn't hear them:D

There was no exhaust pipe with it weirdly. I even went back to the scene of the crash to see if it was somewhere by the side of the road.
    Hmmm banana seats- Apehangers & cissy bar.hmmmm...

I too have been afflicted with scope creep with Schmidt - the bonus is all the original parts from him I have as spares for Berlina. I have been informed a twin shock rear will fit a mono frame so may go with that one. But will see as per following post.
  13. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:

You go for them son. No way I'm spending that much money on it.
  14. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
    OK i was offered this wrecked 1981 R65 the other week. As it was in a dark shed I wasn't sure what I was looking at. The price was right so hands were shook & 3 of us forced the bike onto the trailer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The rear subframe was pretty munted & hard against the rear wheel Check out the handy stock lunchbox holder on the rear.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The neck of the frame was twisted & the brace buckled.

[​IMG]

Gear lever snapped off - not a biggie as it's still prettty easy to hook under like I do with schmidtty

[​IMG]

Cool looking tacho - hopefully that still works, I forgot to check on my ride yesterday

[​IMG]

Left hand side missing a pipe but the nut is still weirdly there??? i wonder if it actually had a pipe on there.

[​IMG]

RHS has had a new thread welded on

[​IMG]
  15. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
    I charged up the battery which was still reasonably charged, checked the valves which were a tad tight on the intake - found another munted thread on the adjuster, put in a bit of GTX & fired it up. Apart from the clutch adjustment being out it seemed to go ok.

This avo I de-greased her, sprayed & scrubbed & began dismantling her. She actaully didn't come up too bad. it looked like the PO was a man after my own heart with improvisation.

I'm getting bloody quick at taking these things apart now. Of course I was once again disconnecting screeds of bloody BMW wiring. For heavens sake it is as painstaking as trying to roll the tape back into a cassette after jamming it in a clarion car stereo - time out of your life you shouldn't have to waste! Anyway I got there in the end.

[​IMG]

I had been eyeing the forks up wondering if they were really bent (trying to reassure myself that they weren't) however after taking the LHS one out & putting it to a straight edge the evidence is reasonably damning.

[​IMG]

The LHS one is a tad recalcitrant & not willing to be removed that easily. It has marks from mufti grips being used so I may need a bigger hammer. if you eye it up you can see the banana bend in it.

[​IMG]

So at this stage I reign my enthusiam in, contemplate the cost of a replacement set of forks (not very likely I'd front up with any money for a set), see about getting them straightened, or just leave them on knowing they are bent & riding accordingly.

I will fast, meditate on it for a few days, consult the oracle, open my ears to my elders, then make a decision based upon all of the above considerations unless I read another post about some other fool throwing money away on a stupid piece of metal & plastic.
  16. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    I can still help you multiply your money - easy. That's cash you can then drop into Schmidtty. :evil. Realistically looks a money pit to me.
  17. Voltaire

Voltaire Triumphant.

Oddometer:
    oh no..... look what TM made me buy......:huh
    I take it all back about r65s:rofl
    [​IMG]
  18. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Voltaire, step away from the keyboard.....:lol3

You are buggering up my pitch
  19. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
    NIce try my lil friendy but FAIL:rofl
    if i'm gonna break it I will be getting the gearbox reconned for my own selfish needs sorry. The one on Schmidt is getting really hard to change when the engines hot

Anything but a money pit actually. I can get a frame for about $250, Make a subframe for FA using the cheapo shocks & make my own seat. i want to get some exhaust pipe stuff & bend a pipe to suit just like in that vid I posted earlier- maybe even some high pipes?

Not worried about switchgear etc- that can wait.
    I have always wanted to wrap exhausts too - oh the anticipation of wrapping those exhausts :clap
  20. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Worf a crack, Nigel..

Voltaire, when / when did that R65 come up. Recently? Never saw it.