Ducati MultiStrada 1200

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Paulvt1, Sep 10, 2008.

1. kma_jg

kma_jg Why so serious?

Oddometer:
    This one looks good. Have a link?

Thanks

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2
  2. bingbong

bingbong Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  3. Hap Hazard

Hap Hazard Adv Want a B

Oddometer:
    New Years Day was cold and misty but our club always meets at Luchenbach ( of Willie Nelson fame) for a NYD photo. First, this bike has the best heated grips I've ever experienced. Three levels. The highest will have you turning it down after about five minutes.

I was with a group of spirited riders and soon the leader and I were well ahead of the rest. First thing I noticed was I was entering the turns much slower than I needed. The superior suspension would have allowed much greater speed. But the exit speed is breath taking. Please note I'm an off road and/or touring rider not a sport bike rider. What i consider fast entry and exit speeds you sport guys would laugh at. Still it was quick enough to be with the leaders.

Because of the damp conditions I was in touring mode. When we hit a section I was familiar with I switched to Sport mode. I'm renaming this "giggle mode". I later tried to switch back to Touring Mode but my hands would not obey.

I'm beginning to understand Sky Hook. It kicks in at speed.

Brakes. They are not BMW brakes but I think they are fine. Better than 2012. After 600 miles it is just a non-issue. I only use rear alone when stopping, especially at gas pumps. At other times coordinated use of rear and front seems normal.

Gearing. While it no longer surges at low RPMs I think I'll be switching to a 14 tooth front. Slow speed stop and go is awkward and I'd like to be in 6th at 70 mph.

But most important, I HAVE NO BUYERS REMORSE.
  4. Lion BR

Lion BR I'd rather be riding

Oddometer:
    :thumb
  5. Moronic

Moronic Long timer

Oddometer:

Thank you for the write-ups. I am enjoying your reports. Sounds like you are enjoying the bike.

Very interested in your assessments of Skyhook as you get more experience with it.

Appears your back brake is working just fine, so far. From reports, for many owners of the 2010-12 bikes the rear brake alone would not do much stopping, even near new. Same for the '12 demo I tried. And I ride a five-year-old Duc, so am familiar with their rear-brake philosophy. Hope it hangs in there for you.

Does anybody know whether the rear brake applies pressure to the front via the ABS, if the rear gets close to locking? (I understand the front distributes pressure to the rear in some circumstances and modes, with that new-fangled multi-mode ABS they have fitted to these 2013s.)
  6. llamapacker

llamapacker Mr. Conservative

Oddometer:
    The S10 applies rear brake when using the front, but not the other way around. Also you can apply more rear brake than what the front applies using ABS/UBS.

I suspect the Multi12 does similar. Would think it might be dangerous for the rear to apply front, as in most cases (parking lot, gas station) you are turning when hitting the rear brake.
  7. Lion BR

Lion BR I'd rather be riding

Oddometer:
    It is not very clear. Here is Ducati's own explanation of the ABS system and its three levels (incidentally, the same Bosch 9ME ABS used in the 2013 Ducati is also in the 2013 KTM 1190 Adventure):

The new Multistrada 1200 family is equipped with the latest Bosch 9ME ABS, an integral part of the Ducati Safety Pack. This unrivalled combination of safety and braking power provides shorter stopping distances and greater stability under braking. Three different settings integrated in the Riding Modes are available.
    Thanks to the same processor used to control the ABS on the Superbike 1199 Panigale, the new Multistrada 1200 now offers combined front and rear braking optimised for the Urban and Touring Riding Modes, which instantly adjusts to the riding conditions typically associated with the Sport and Enduro Riding Modes when a softer setup is preferable. The combined braking system uses four pressure sensors (located in the master cylinders and in the braking circuits of front and rear callipers) to analyse braking performance whenever the front brake is operated and applies controlled braking pressure at the rear end to increase stability. In certain Riding Modes, the 9ME ABS also performs an anti-lift up function to guarantee optimal ground contact of the rear wheel.
    The system integrates perfectly with the Riding Modes and has three operation levels. Level 2, for the Sport Riding Mode, ensures balanced front and rear braking, with less braking force at the rear and without rear wheel lift detection. Level 3 offers ideal combined braking in the Touring and Urban Modes, with rear wheel lift detection for the utmost safety. Level 1 provides the utmost off-road performance, and rear wheel lift detection is disabled to allow for controlled rear-wheel lock-up.
    Riders who wish to try out unassisted braking performance can disable the ABS from the instrument panel menu. The ABS will remain disabled at the next key-on and this setting can be stored for each Riding Mode.
  8. Dr. Greg

Dr. Greg Tryin' to get home.. Supporter

Oddometer:
    After seeing the pics those look really nice! Gotta order a set for moi as well. Thanks for the info.

--Doc

9. EJ_92606

EJ_92606 Rider

Oddometer:
    Anyone else take delivery on a '13 yet? Would like to hear more about the Sachs Skyhook suspension.

Thanks,
  10. Gorilla King

Gorilla King Dobar Skorz! Supporter

Oddometer:
    No, mine's overdue dagnabit.
  11. oalvarez

oalvarez Resident Raggamuffin Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hiyas EJ...there are some new owner thoughts posted over at Ducati.MS but most all are based on their rides home. of course they all love their new bikes, I personally think that the new twin spark motor is equally interesting.
  12. Pampero

Pampero Verbose Adventurer

Oddometer:

Might as well add the link to the first in reports.

Congratulations to you, Hap, and all the other new owners, too! Thanks for the write ups!
  13. Paulvt1

Paulvt1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I went out jacket shopping today. Weather is quite good for the UK in January. Mild and not a lot of salt on the road. Got to wring the bike out a bit. It's a bike of strange contradictions.
    It's a Ducati - but it's comfy, has a center stand and great mirrors.
    It's nimble - but stable.
    PR3's are the biz.
    That slight crest in the road turns into a 3rd gear wheelie.
    Best bike i've had in a long while. :D
  14. bingbong

Oddometer:
    I know just what you mean :D I finally got out on mine for a full day and some nice roads, my mate finally got a test ride on it and was completely astounded at how good it was and more over how relaxed it is when going fast. I was following on a hypermoto which was keeping up well but the experience was very different to the MS. The hyper just shouts infomation at you which is alot of fun but intense. The hyper had the full race termi system, whilst not excessive in noise it definatley adds to the fun. I think I need something for the Multi now, but which one? It's taken me a lot of bike changes to get here but the multi fits me like no other bike has come close to. I remember having a Gilera nordwest a few years ago and thought at the time that it needed a v twin to make it perfect. I now have that perfect bike. :D
  15. bingbong

Oddometer:
    Skyhook test.
    It's definitely an improvement apparently. But, IMHO the only significant thing they found was the old ohlins rear spring is too soft for 2 up riding, which we all know about. And if you are in the wrong mode for the conditions, I.e. urban mode. Then start riding sporty it adjusts. Seems like for like modes ohlins verses sky hook say in sport mode, almost no difference.

Enjoy
    http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/N.../2013/January/jan0713-multistrada-old-vs-new/
  16. oalvarez

oalvarez Resident Raggamuffin Supporter

Oddometer:
    They also didn't comment on or adjust the damping settings on the old one and rather used what was pre-programmed (DES). The nice thing about Skyhook is that the rider never really needs to make adjustments as the suspension will automatically make them on its own. It acts if you don't or can't.

Fun read
  17. NMEXPAT

NMEXPAT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Best Summary of the MTS 1200! :deal
  18. Paulvt1

Paulvt1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I should have added that i haven't even had a play in sport mode yet. I seem to spend all my time in urban and touring. Can't imagine what sport combined with a full system would be like...
  19. Moronic

Moronic Long timer

Oddometer:

Hey, thanks very much for the link. Have been looking for a copy of that article, had thought it would not be posted online, Very interesting, even if it still leaves me wanting more information.

Seems to me the most interesting aspect was what they didn't say: they didn't say there was any part of their riding where the Ohlins kitted bike was better. Given that Ohlins is good stuff, and that the Multi had some of the better Ohlins bits going, that's significant.

But IMO the other interesting bit was that as you've noted, when in the appropriate mode the Ohlins wasn't any worse, either. At least where they tried it. Suspect the Skyhook system would do better on something really rough, such as a bad gravel road. But that's not the Multi's forte in any case.

So we have the key advantage, spring rate aside, in the point oalvarez makes: with Skyhook, the mode adjustment - and more - is done for you. I've a feeling that will prove more helpful than it sounds over a long day's riding.

Nevertheless, I'm still leaning towrds a 2013 base and perhaps adding the full semi-active kit Ohlins says it will offer this year. It might not be Skyhook but I do like the idea of dealing directly with Ohlins for info, parts, service and troubleshooting.

Will have to learn more about the new KTMs tho. Ducati over here haven't done themselves any favours with pricing: it is looking like the Multi base will cost $2000 more than an 1190 Adventure, and $1000 more than the "R". :huh
  20. Sock Monkey

Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

Oddometer:
    Then I have to ask, how is this different from well-sorted "standard" (i.e. non-active) suspension? Personally I'd rather have the Ohlins and adjust it to my liking for each mode vs. having suspension that adjusts automatically based on some pre-programmed algorithm that I can't change. Or am I missing something (not uncommon for me :lol3 )?

-SM