Augusta National

Discussion in 'Sports' started by sealsam, Feb 27, 2013.

1. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    It'll be here soon...

Mrs Samthg & I scored practice round tix two years ago.

Our first steps on the course dropped us here at the 16th tee
    [​IMG]

Magnolia Lane, that night a hellish storm blew through an leveled one of those stuckers!:eek1
    [​IMG]

Looking back at 18 tee
    [​IMG]

11 is just awesome & tight!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

11 green on left, 12 in background
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Elbiluco

Elbiluco Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :eek1
    Been trying to get some tickets for about 4 years now. Just cant seem to make it.......
    Was there last year and the guard let me take a pic from the gate..... Oh well, I can at least say Ive been there!!!!!:cry
    Awesome pics!!!!!
  3. sealsam

Oddometer:
    It will happen on the 5th! It took me 5 years of "mail in's" to get the tix. Once I was there and talking to other "patrons", it seemed to take most of us the 5 years. One thing I didn't check into, but blew me away was once we were driving around the area of Augusta, I saw tons of vendors advertising tix.:huh

You'll make it, and you won't believe it. The place is truly that amazing. It was fantastic being there on a practice round. We had lots of freedom to roam around and take tons of pics.:thumb
  4. Tallbastid

Tallbastid Stay Grateful

Oddometer:
    You lucky bastard!! I would do sick things to attend Augusta. That course is serioulsy a work of art, my uncle's been and says Pebble Beach doesn't hold a candle to Augusta.
  5. skwidd

skwidd where does this lead?

Oddometer:
    I went in '06 for the weekend rounds, 27 holes Sunday for many from the weather delay Saturday.

Incredible place to experience.
  6. sealsam

Oddometer:
    Nah, anybody can go(to the practice rounds). You just have to go through the mail in process. Tix were only like $32.

My wife & kids took me to Pebble for the first round of the US Open in June '10, and 9 months latter we're at the Masters. This was quite incredible for me.

While Pebble is very nice, nothing(that i've seen)measures up to Augusta.
  7. kfsinc

kfsinc Chaingolian Observer Supporter

Oddometer:
    What's wrong with this picture?

[​IMG]

Good on them for the lowest prices I've ever seen!

:clap :clap :clap
  8. Bappo

Bappo Long timer

Oddometer:
    If any of you get to a practice day (Wednesday is best) go watch from the right side of the 7th green. Unbelievable how close you can be and the amazing effects that occur there. Very narrow and steeply sloped so a teeny 2" miss can end up 40 yds down the fairway. On Wednesday the rookies practice with the really old farts and they really get messed with. Wednesday is also the par 3 tourney which no one wants to win. Great fun.
  9. skwidd

Oddometer:

Our hosts had us take chairs to the left side of the 16th green, and leave them there while we took a lap around the entire course backwards.
    Unlike any sporting event anywhere, and just as our hosts assured us, our chairs were right where we left and empty after the hour plus we wandered.
    From that spot you can see the 15th green, 16th hole, 17th tee box, and the scoreboard across the par 3(number 6?) behind you.

I'll go again for sure.
  10. sealsam

Oddometer:
    Great spot.

Since I was a youngin', I had always heard about the "Roars" of Augusta.:huh Well, Mrs Samthg & I had been hanging around the Clubhouse and practice green, which is probably the top of the property, when all of the sudden we hear a gigantic and lengthy ROAR. This was coming from the bottom of the property, which is 16. So I asked one of the green jackets 'what was that'? Now remember this is just a Monday practice round. The green jacket told us you should get down to 16.

So off we go, only to find a competition between caddies on the 16th. They are on the tee skipping balls of the pond on to the green for a closest to the pin game.:lol3 There was some greenbacks being exchanged. :freaky We had a great time watching this!
  11. sealsam

Oddometer:
    Let me just add this pic. This is about the spot, on 13, that Mickelson hit something like a 6 iron to the green on Sunday in the '10 Masters that pretty much kept his mojo going and he went on to win.

To stand at that spot and see what he saw, and being left handed:eek1, well, these guys do play a different game.

The actual spot is between the pines on the right of the pic...

[​IMG]
  12. Agent 337

Agent 337 putting the "win” in long-winded Supporter

Oddometer:
    some day. :cry I used to drive past the place all the time on business but have never had the opportunity to see past the fence. A buddy of mine is going this year. Lucky bastard.
  13. sealsam

Oddometer:
    Amazing isn't it? They have the place hidden pretty well. You would think inside those vegetated walls would be any old 'city dump' golf course, not some of the most hollowed grounds in golf.

Magnolia Lane from Washington Rd...

[​IMG]
  14. sdthorpe

sdthorpe Adventurer... yeah right!

Oddometer:
    I have been fortunate to go to every tournament since 1986 until last year when I decided to go on a DS trip instead; it is a magical place. If anyone makes it down, pm me with any questions you may have. I would offer to show you around the club but we're having a baby that week this year! Great timing huh...
  15. linkweewee

linkweewee momento mori

Oddometer:
    am not sure I'd blow another 75 cents on an import when I could get a Bud Lite for $3.00
  16. sealsam

Oddometer:
    Congratulations on the youngin'.:clap

:eek1 That offer is sure tough to pass up.
  17. skwidd

Oddometer:
    I'll bring my clubs, and a few dozen extra balls. :lol3
  18. sdthorpe

sdthorpe Adventurer... yeah right!

Oddometer:
    To clarify, if you come down during the week of the tournament...

Can't show you around the place any other week!! :lol3

Thanks for the congrats, we're thrilled
  19. sealsam

Oddometer:
    It's next week...

Anybody going???
  20. BigIron

BigIron Tenured Prof - Leghump U.

Oddometer:
    I'm a Phil fan. When he was talking with Bones about that shot, I blurted out: "Oh no, he's going for it."

:lol3

I can't think of a place, anyplace that I'd rather see in person than Augusta. Good on ya. :super