South India Enfield Adventure

Discussion in 'Asia Pacific' started by tahler, Dec 14, 2009.

1. tahler

tahler n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello my fellow ADVenturers
    Do to a sudden change in my relationship status, not only on facebook but also in real life, im no longer to meet with the girl who used to be my friend in the united states where i was travelling. That means that an old dream of traveling India on an Enfield suddenly can be realized, however I only have one week before i land in Mumbai, and is pretty much completely unprepared since this was not part of my original planning. But I argued - Just do it - As the commercial says...

Reading in the Adventure Motorcycling Handbook, I came across half a page on riding an Enfield through India.. and I was hooked! Now that is all i know on the subject, I've been traveling to The North Cape and through the Alps on my Africa Twin from Copenhagen and a few days in The Golden Triangle area on rented KLX 250s ..where Ill be back for sure!

But for now it is one month alone in South India and any information on:
    • Where best to rent in Mumbai
    • Where to meet fellow riders
    • Web links on the subject
    • Must read threads
    • Anything possibly of interest
    Anything will be greatly and wholeheartedly welcomed!

-Tao
  2. LuisLourenco

LuisLourenco Blue orange

Oddometer:
    Hello Tao

I just return from 3 fantastic weeks riding an Enfield at South India. I cann't give you advices on Mombay since I've rent the bikes at Goa, if you consider to start at Goa then I can give you very good contacts. Nevertheless, with some time to search and decide, you should not have problems getting a bike in Mombay. Get a 350, cheaper (500Rs/day is the normal rate) and more than sufficient.

More, if you'd like some advices on where to go I can give you some hints.

And prepare yourself for the hardest traffic in the world :lol3
  3. tahler

tahler n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks LuisLourenco!
    I've changed my plans a bit and am now going north through Rajasthan to Delhi. Because where ever I read it should be one of the most beautyfull parts of india. I have gotten in cotact with a local Royal Enfield club called www.inddiethumpers.com and they gave me a number for a guy who might be able to help. But I havent been able to get in contact with him yet though. It seems that Enfield rentals are much Easier in Delhi, so maybe Ill jump on a train and take it from there instead.
    Ill keep you posted here on what ever happens.
    -Tao
  4. Chanderjeet

Chanderjeet "IndiYeah & SveriYeah!!"

Oddometer:
    Enfield Rentals in Delhi is a piece of cake. Rs. 500 is the going rate per day for a 350cc. Land in Delhi and get a bike here. Then move to whereever you want.

Karol Bagh is the hub, ask for Pardesi Motors, Lalli singh or even Soni motors.
  5. grumph

grumph Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Lalli singh shipped my KTM back from Delhi to UK. Really nice Guy, found a nice hotel for us - 100% professional and trustworthy. Rents out Enfields to loads of companies and individuals. We went to where he stores some of his bikes when they were crating ours, counted 50 Enfields - 1 was a diesel one as well. I shall use him when I go back for a short trip. :D
  6. tiger02

tiger02 n00b

Oddometer:
    Might as well post here instead of starting a new thread...Soni Motors quoted me 36,000 INR for two Machismo 500 for two weeks. I'm willing to pay a better price for reliable bikes, but this still seems really high at 1300 INR per bike per day. Should I be shopping around a little more, or try to push him down a bit?

I'll be riding Delhi - Leh for the first two weeks of June...

Cheers
    Tom
  7. Johnny Drunkard

Johnny Drunkard Todo utz

Oddometer:
    That's double what I paid 9 mos. ago.

$15 dollars/700 rupees is the going rate.

Sunny jr is trying to fleece ya.

If Sunny (Soni motors) won't deal, talk to Lalli Singh.
  8. tiger02

tiger02 n00b

Oddometer:
    About what I figured, thanks much!

9. peter-reebok

peter-reebok Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lalli Singh also has good mechanics. He hires them out to travel with groups.
    If you are in a group, and can share the cost, this is an ideal way to stave off the mechanical emeregencies that will befall you.