Trials Bike Build/conversion?

Discussion in 'Trials' started by rizzer, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Twin-shocker

Twin-shocker Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you are not likely to be competing in serious competition, and are simply looking for something more suited to trials type riding, then get hold of a bike with a motor most suited to trials (probably 200cc 4T), which can be easily modified.

Then find a lighter/smaller frame intended for lower capacity machine that your motor will fit into (twin-shock will be much easier to do), remove all lugs, brackets, mountings that are not needed, get a 21 inch front wheel, and 18 rear laced onto lightweight moped hubs, and fit the most suitable front and rear suspension you can find.

All thats needed then is to fit the motor into the chassis, alter the steering angle to around 66 degrees, and sort out final details like the best footrest position, and a tank which fits and isnt too big and bulky.

If you have tube bending/machining facilities and are a good fabricator, then you can easily build a modern perimeter type frame along the lines of a Gas Gas from scratch, but the value of this is questionable unless you have a motor specifically designed for trials to go into the frame.
  2. rizzer

rizzer no longer bikeless

Oddometer:
    yea I'll be heading that direction...hopefully sooner than later :)
    here's the yamaha lc135 I mentioned earlier in the thread.
    stock form:
    [​IMG]
    and this is a drag bike conversion (a reference to what the bare engine and frame looks like)
    [​IMG]

it looks like the engine is pretty compact. and the frame will prolly only need some chopping and protection under the engine. the forks will need a longer travel fork which I already have (the one in the pic isn't stock). what I don't know yet is if the stock swing arm will take an 18 inch wheel or not. if not, then that'll be more homework :/
    From what I've read and heard, the engine (135cc stock) can take new cylinders from another yamaha (150cc stock) and can be bored up to 175cc. should be enough for a "fun" bike :D

but now that I have more options, I can't decide which one I'd go for...vintage-styled two shock? 4t? 2t? modern-styled?
  3. Twin-shocker

Twin-shocker Long timer

Oddometer:
    That looks totally unsuitable to me, the motor looks big bulky and heavy, and is water cooled which for a play bike will simply mean added weight and less reliability. I would suggest looking at a simple air-cooled bike, as you are never going to make a proper trials bike from a road machine, its best to get something as light and compact as you can..........Chinese Honda copy stuff isnt bad, and can generally be found very cheaply.
  4. rizzer

Oddometer:
    the engine is actually pretty small. those are 17inch rims with slim rims, they're only about 1.40 wide so it makes the engine stand out.

but I think you're right about the additional water weight. might have to look for small GL series honda engines instead :(:
  5. rizzer

Oddometer:
    seems like this build "plan" will go onto further delays...my scrambler build is sucking in more funds than I thought :cry
  6. rizzer

Oddometer:
  7. LucasLeader

LucasLeader Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This type of bike you're trying to build is getting pretty popular. I'm really interested in building something similar just for a fun little bike to mess around on and practice some technical trials type skills. It's too bad trials isn't more popular so there would be more used bikes around at a more affordable price. Check out this thread as well for some similar ideas. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=770250
  8. trialxls

trialxls n00b

Oddometer:
    My base is a Honda 125 XLS 1980, much easier to find that a old 4stroke trial... Sorry if I'm not so clear; I 'm french and normally more often on honda-125xl dot com forum...

- seat has been replaced by an aluminium plate
    - feet resters are put 12 cm rear and 4cm higher ( so I had to modify the kick and break pedal)
    - steering stop are removed, so I had to modify the tank... ( home made, hammer made...)
    - swing arm is from a 348 Montesa, modified to keep same shock absorbers geometry
    - T fork are replaced by honda Twin T fork, to get more maneuvrability
    - Transmission is changed: 60/13 against 47/14
    - bore is changed to 66 ( 165cc)
    - etc...

Before:

[​IMG]
    This one just to show the actual tank:

[​IMG]

and this one with the tank I have to finish:

[​IMG]
    Te Hopo likes this.
  9. trialxls

trialxls n00b

Oddometer:
    Looks I'm too young on this forum to be allowed to send photos... My base is a Honda 125 XLS 1980, much easier to find that a old 4stroke trial... Sorry if I'm not so clear; I 'm french and normally more often on honda-125xl dot com forum...

- seat has been replaced by an aluminium plate
    - feet resters are put 12 cm rear and 4cm higher ( so I had to modify the kick and break pedal)
    - steering stop are removed, so I had to modify the tank... ( home made, hammer made...)
    - swing arm is from a 348 Montesa, modified to keep same shock absorbers geometry
    - T fork are replaced by honda Twin T fork, to get more maneuvrability
    - Transmission is changed: 60/13 against 47/14
    - bore is changed to 66 ( 165cc)
    - etc...
  10. Sting32

Sting32 Trials Evangelist

Oddometer:
    You have to "link" to photo's shared/stored in places like Smugmug (the actual website that hosts this website) and the like. I upload to my flicker and link back to them in posts... takes up too much space (and more importantly: Bandwidth, on servers I suppose.
  11. rizzer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the link mate!

Nice! how does it perform?
    I've got a home built scrambler at the moment, but I don't think I'll be converting it into a trials. I'm afraid I'll miss the trail rides too much if I turned it into a trials bike. Plus, mine is too tall for trials :puke1
    [​IMG]
    Te Hopo likes this.
  12. Bultaco206

Bultaco206 Back-to-back motos suck Super Moderator Supporter

Oddometer:
    I used to be very active in vintage trials back in my AHRMA days. And one of the most unique bikes I ever saw over the years was a converted Honda Trail 90. The owner fabricated it himself over the course of a few seasons and every time I'd see him at an event the bike had been re-engineered in one way or another.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Gryphus1 likes this.
  13. nsu max

nsu max Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    DAMN IT, you guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! More insperation. I'll never thin out the herd with stuff like this to keep giving me ideas. Thanks:lol3.
  14. LucasLeader

LucasLeader Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's the coolest Trail 90 I've ever seen. I think I'd want some protection for the motor though...
  15. Pete-NZ

Pete-NZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    That little Honda's just sooooooo kool... I'm lucky I an't got alot of space
    keeps the collection to a managble size.."or maybe unlucky"
  16. rizzer

Oddometer:
    I'd have to agree with you guys, that little cub is sweet...should be pretty cheap to get a standard model down here.

BTW, the sprockets don't look as big as I'd expect for a small displacement bike. would be nice to know how the bike performs...any reviews? better yet, videos?
  17. Pete-NZ

Pete-NZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Its got the Hi/lo box on the side of the engine sprocket cover...
  18. socalhodaka

socalhodaka Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hodaka's are very easy to transform into a Trails bike, and all the info to do ti is out there.

[​IMG]
    Hodaka 250 Thunderdog with a Kawasaki KT 250

[​IMG]
    The original Hodaka Prototype called the Bullfrog.

[​IMG]
    125 Wombats are the most popular to convert.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And they really work.

I can go on and on with more Hodaka Trails bikes. Check out Hodakadays.org

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My current project.
    Te Hopo likes this.
  19. motojunky

motojunky Professional Idiot

Oddometer:
    I don't know anything about Hodaka conversions, but this one is for sale in the mid-atlantic region. I like it.

[​IMG]

http://www.mid-atlantictrials.com/Classified.html
  20. rizzer

Oddometer:
    To be honest I've never seen one on a cub. is it custom made?