Qvick Qvestion on Montana 600 w/ Topo's

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by LoneStar, Dec 18, 2012.

1. LoneStar

LoneStar WhoopDeDoofus Supporter

Oddometer:
    Loving my new 600 :deal

I've uploaded N. A. & Mex NT 2013, as well as Arizona and New Mexico topos from GPS File Depot...

The only way I have been able to view the topos if I "disable" NT 2013 on the unit itself... Is this correct? or is there a way that the topo's can be displayed over the 2013 map?

Since these aren't Garmin made topo maps, I'm guessing this is the only way to view them :ear
  2. bighopper

bighopper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You are correct you can only view the Topo when NT is disabled.....best to disable any other maps installed except World Map. The NT map takes precedence.
    Try looking over this site for any info that you might have really great resource.

http://garminmontanagpsr.wikispaces.com/
  3. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    I think that whenever a flavor of City Navigator is enabled, it takes priority and is shown. I think you have to disable it for the topos to be seen, but I await more experienced users than I to say for sure.
  4. LoneStar

Oddometer:
    Muchos gracias BigHopper! Thanks for the link as well - I have a headache from searching threads here :lol3
  5. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    Check the "Wisdom and FAQ" thread in my sig - I describe how to switch maps quickly through Profiles and Shortcuts. This is the actual post which describes that.
  6. LoneStar

Oddometer:
    Thanks again guys

EmmBeeDee that's a great idea. I read the Wisdom thread but since the 600 is new to me I think a fair amount went over my head :lol3 - plus I'm getting old :deal
  7. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    Do it in stages - create a few profiles, name them in such a way that you'll know what each has inside, then make each profile into what you want it to be - then later you can create the Shortcuts. This way instead of fumbling around with map settings then trying to set everything back for a different use, you can just change Profile to get the settings you want.

I've had my Montana for about 18 months now so it's very familiar to me, but I can see how it would be intimidating to try to figure it out overnight. That's why I put that thread together. There's less than 20 posts, but I think each has useful information.