Feedback requested for South America/Cuba trip plan for 2016

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by malokira99, Apr 13, 2015.

1. malokira99

malokira99 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi everyone,

I'm a relatively new moto rider and PhD student heading to Brazil this fall for dissertation research. Having caught the moto fever, though, I recently got the idea of heading home at the end of my research trip in an unusual, possibly crazy but also awesome and adventurous way! :)

So, I'm opening this thread to explore the actual possibilities of doing this dream trip/pilgrimage through my favorite continent. I would start from Santarém, Brazil, and head west through the Amazon, over the Andes to Peru, then go north thru Ecuador, Colombia, and Venezuela along the Caribbean coast, and finally top off the adventure with a dream ride through Cuba, then fly home by way of a detour/cool-down on the beautiful beaches of Belize.

I've made a tentative Google Map of the general route I would want to take:
    https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zGeb884ReIio.kKrVG0gfXuWc

I'll already have bought the bike in Brazil, and by the time I leave I would have at least several months' experience riding around the Eastern Amazon. Based on what's available there I'll be riding either a Yamaha XTZ125, a Honda NXR150/160 Bros, or a Yamaha Lander 250 (depends on what I'll be able to fit on, since I'm a very short rider).

I'd love any and all feedback on the practical possibilities and challenges of a trip like this from experienced adventure riders - better routes, special caveats, budgeting, dealing with bureaucracy, etc.

Brazil is less of an issue for me, as I'm fluent in Portuguese and am very familiar with the idiosyncracies of getting around that country. The other countries I have never been to (except for a day in Lima on a layover), but have friends with family and other connections in some of the places I'll be passing through. My Spanish is good, but not quite as fluent.

And, if any of you are also planning trips through the area at the time, it'd be great to find some companions for partial or extended legs of the trip! I'd definitely appreciate having folks around for good companionship, as well as wrenching/riding help (and other general "help me not die" stuff). In exchange, I can translate, negotiate for good deals, and do cultural guide type stuff (especially thru Amazonia), as well as share my academic knowledge of the incredibly rich social, political, and environmental history of the areas we'll be passing through.

Any and all suggestions much appreciated! Please help me make this dream a reality! :mchappy:
  2. CourtRand

CourtRand Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have a great trip and be sure to change your route a little in Ecuador. Some of the best roads in South America are in Ecuador, for sure, so don't zip through without seeing more of it. Your route skips Cuenca, misses Baños, and is just missing a lot in the country.

Have a look at our web page to see some of our routes and descriptions and be sure to stop in to see us when you get to Quito!
  3. Throttlemeister

Throttlemeister Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    It is now required since March 3, 2015 for US citizens to now have a visa for entry into Venezuela issued in your own country prior to arrival:deal

I would not count on getting from VZ straight to Cuba with your moto unless you are going to fly it and have plenty of money as it will be very expensive.

The main known option to Cuba with your moto is on the SteelRat which makes the trip out of Cartagena a couple times a year.

Will be nice that you already know P, none of my Spanglish crossed over except for maybe jugos:lol3 Brazil will be a good place to have a small bike as the gas is crazy money, but in Venezuela it would be nicer to have a 650 or bigger as gas is free and lots of big fun miles to cover in the country and the black market is way on your side:evil

Time will be your most important commodity, take as much as you can and save all the money you can.
  4. Stahlratte

Stahlratte Been here awhile

Oddometer: