Triumph Tiger 800

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by ScrambDaddy, Jul 12, 2010.

1. UtahFox

UtahFox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I loved my Scrambler, and if I could have afforded it I would have kept it. For me, the Scrambler was a hot rod. Looked cool and was a blast to ride around town, and some short jaunts up in the mountains. But if you start to think about longer trips on it, well...

[​IMG]
  2. riverman

riverman Life is great !

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the detailed response Bross. I was anxious to hear from someone who has had both bikes. For me, less and less two-up long distance means that I will be selling the 'wing and going with the Tiger XC. Should be a good complement to the WR250R (which is also an awesome bike for my type of useage).
  3. Bueller

Bueller Cashin?

Oddometer:
    The only stock seats on 50 or so bikes I've owned that I've been able to tolerate were on a 2005 K1200 LT, a 2008 Gold Wing, and a 2002 Moto Guzzi Le Mans. Every other seat on everything else I've ridden has inflicted varying degrees of torture, mostly right on the bony parts. In terms of aftermarket or accessory seats I've had a couple of Corbins, a Rick Mayer, a Harley Sundowner, a Triumph gel seat, and several Sargents. I've also used an Alaska Sheepskin and an Airhawk.

Seats are highly subjective. Considering that, I've found the Corbins to be the worst of the aftermarket seats. I had to send back the Corbin I bought for my FJR 1300 because it was a full inch (at least) shorter than the stock seat, which cramped my knees. The Corbin on my Harley was so rock hard it gave my girlfriend raging headaches after about an hour of riding. Their seat pans tend to weigh a metric ton, and don't always seem to fit the bike as well as the stockers they replace. However, you'll find those who love Corbins and won't buy anything else because Corbin seats fit their anatomy. Additionally, Corbin was very cooperative in working with me on that FJR to modify it and add the height they had originally taken away.

The Harley seat was decent for the money, about a 5 on a scale of 1 - 10, 10 being the most comfortable. The Rick Mayer was about a 7.5. The Sargents have consistently been the best for me. The add on products like the sheepskin and air hawk tend to provide a "different" seating surface which temporarily alters the pressure points and provides very temporary relief, but it is always fleeting. However, the sheepskin is great at providing some ventilation and heat reduction.

I looked long and hard at the new Saddlemen, but I decided to pass for a couple of reasons. First, they refer to it as being very firm. I don't know if they mean Sargent firm or Corbin firm. The former is good, the latter is bad for me. Additionally, since much of my issue with seats is caused by the lack of much natural padding, I figure a channel cut through the middle of the seat that further reduces the total real estate supporting my body will only serve to put more pressure on those two bony parts that are always the source of my discomfort.

I seriously considered a Russell - the one seat I've never tried but always wanted to. However, I've seen a photo of one and thought it looked pretty ridiculous on this bike. Furthermore, I felt it would at least somewhat inhibit my ability to move around on the bike, something that gets more important on twisty roads or off pavement.

I want a Sargent but I've grown impatient waiting for them to release their Worldsport seat. I took a look at their custom seat services and shot a couple of emails back & forth with them. I finally decided I'd buy the Triumph Gel seat and try it, and if I wasn't happy with it at least I'd have a spare seat so I could send my original to Sargent.

It didn't take but a couple of hours to figure out the Triumph Gel seat for me was only a somewhat more comfortable version of the stocker, but since it has the same shape and design it causes the same pressure points for me. Additionally the gel really retains heat, and after the bike has sat in the sun for a while I can really feel the heat for about 20 minutes or so, which further exacerbates my discomfort issues. So I packed my stock seat up and sent it to Sargent. They received it today, should have it done in less than two weeks, and will send it back. I opted for them to widen and dish the seating area with super cell atomic foam, and level the seating surface from front to rear. The widening is limited to approximately an inch wider on each side of the seat, which should be enough for me. Some of those with wider posteriors might find the amount of widening room insufficient once the seating area has been dished. I suspect Sargent will probably solve this to a certain degree with their Worldsport seat pan, but that has yet to be seen.

I'll post photos as well as my experience once it comes back and I have a bit of time on it. Sargent cautions the purchaser of custom seat services that they don't always come out right the first time since it is difficult for them to figure out exactly what fits each person's anatomy, so I may have to send it back once. Additionally I'm sure it will need to break in for a while, but I'm confident if anyone can make a seat that will allow me to spend up to 24 hours on it at a time (like the sargents I had on my RTs) Sargent can.

The cost including return shipping and a new custom made seat cover was $315.00.

Sorry for the lengthy dissertation, but seats are so individual I thought the sum of my experience would be helpful to the user in determining what their discomfort issues are, and what seat options might be best for them. I have no affiliation with Sargent other than being a very happy repeat customer.
  4. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Very interested in your impressions. I picked up a triumph gel seat on ebay over the weekend as a bit of an impulse since it was cheap ($90) and somehow my stock seat got a burn hole in the side of it. So, if I don't like the triumph gel seat I'll have my stock one to send out.
  5. Hallwine

Hallwine Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sheffield, Peoples Republic of South Yorkshire
    I had a Scram and I took it on a long trip to north cape (top of Norway)
    I really liked it and would probably have kept it a long time, But I got the tiger road and it is a far more comfortable and capable machine. I bought another...But I did love the Scram even if it was less competant in many ways...it was cool as owt, when funds allow I will probably get another Scram because they are a lot of fun and the coolest looking trumpet, just my 2hbobs worth. Tiger best for brain, Scram best for your heart....ymmv of course
  6. nhspirit

nhspirit Just Ride

Oddometer:
    Here are a couple pics with a sargent custom seat. Had it for about a year now. May need to send it back for an adjustment. Only slightly better than Triumph gel which was slightly better than stock for me. I do not have much padding naturally but sargents have always been comfortable for me on other bikes. Not sure if it's because of the width of the seat or the angle but still have pressure points after a few hours.

[​IMG][​IMG]
  7. fbj913

fbj913 Adventure Aficionado

Oddometer:
    Thank you! :thumb For $315 it's worth a shot. I'm a skinny guy as well so I will be eager to hear your report back.
  8. Bueller

Bueller Cashin?

Oddometer:
    Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears that you had their custom seat services replace some foam, but retain the stock shape. Though their foam is better than you would likely find in either a stock seat or the triumph gel seat, it is both the forward lean and the shape of the stock seat that doesn't work for me. It appears your sargent seat in the photos retains both. This is the reason I am having them widen and dish the seat, to provide a greater area of support that is more contoured to provide support outward towards my hips. Additionally, I sat on the bike and had my girlfriend draw a level line across the side of the seat and am having Sargent level the seating area so it doesn't push me towards the tank. Hopefully I wind up with better results than you are describing.
  9. OmenF1

OmenF1 wannabe explorer

Oddometer:
    SUP you party people ?

I was looking for some ride reports from people on the tiger 800 / XC , but did not find much, except the 2 ladies that wrode that Alaskan trip..
    I am also curious to know / see how she looks and handles fully packed, with camping gear etc ..?

Greetz

Omen

Btw, planning a cool trip myself on my Tiger 800 - John o groats to land's end OR nord to south of France on small roads..
  10. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)

Look at the last two ride reports linked below in my sig.

The Tiger handles great even loaded for a trip.

--mark
  11. nhspirit

nhspirit Just Ride

Oddometer:

Actually I had requested some specific changes and also had to draw a level line across the sdes of the seat. The area of the seat I tend to sit on is the narrowest section which is making it uncomfortable. Will wait for your results and will probably have to send the seat back for some rework.

BTW: Last May/June when I had the seat worked on, I was told that they had just received a Tiger 800 to use to design a new seat.
  12. blacktiger

blacktiger Tigers R great.

Oddometer:

Will this do? http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=17036006#post17036006
  13. PYG RYDR

PYG RYDR Adventure-Dual Sport

Oddometer:
    I plan to purchase a XC this week and I am lining up my Farkles.

I want to add the Highway Dirt Bike handguards and wind deflectors and contacted Paul, who indicated he did not know what size bar clamp is needed.

Anyone able to help out with the part numbers/sizes?

Also, will the Motech bar risers work? Or do you need the Rox risers? Is one preferred over the other.

TIA
  14. Rob Dirt

Rob Dirt Riding my blues away

Oddometer:
    As far as I know, you have to use Rox risers.
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=17019824&postcount=8867
  15. Bueller

Bueller Cashin?

Oddometer:
    It'll be interesting to see what they've learned in a year's time, and how they might shape my seat differently from the way they shaped yours. I tend to sit about 2 -3 inches from the back of the seat, so assuming they have that area dished and leveled properly it should be pretty good.
  16. PYG RYDR

PYG RYDR Adventure-Dual Sport

Oddometer:
  17. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    I know they aren't the best but just wondering what those who have the OEM auxiliary lights think of them. Illumination? Durability?
  18. invicta1

invicta1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    IMO, they really help visibility. I'm a fan and keep them on.

19. KildareMan

KildareMan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't know where you got that opinion from. They are fecking brilliant, although pricey. Mine are nearly 18 months old now & never a problem.
  20. SMIFFXC

SMIFFXC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They are quite bright actually. I bought them only to be seen better and everyone I ride with says they have no problem seeing me. Haven't had a problem, it's been just over a year.