Wife / Pillion friendly Bike

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by JamesM, Aug 20, 2014.

1. JamesM

JamesM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So my wife and I rode the Blue Ridge Parkway last weekend, which was AWESOME (ride report forthcoming).

Coming back home on I-85 though reinforced why she loathes the freeway. Anytime we hit about 80mph, the wind causes her head starts bouncing around uncontrollably. This while wearing either the AGV K4 or Schuberth with the windscreen in the Up position.

I really like my BMW K12rs but she is now dropping hints about picking up another bike with more protection from the wind. Is there a windshield combination I should try or is a larger bike the only way go? Will a larger bike like the LT, GTL, or RT even matter over 80mph?
  2. SidewinderX

SidewinderX Hey, watch this! Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    How tall is your wifey?

A windscreen will help but there is nothing like a GTL for Pillion comfort. My wife will catch herself falling asleep every now and then. Mine is only 5'3" though.
  3. oldoval

oldoval Your Ad Here

Oddometer:
    Your gut reaction will be to look at bikes with big fairings and windscreens..... this may not be the solution.

While bikes like my previous ST1300 offer a lot of protection by creating a large bubble for the rider, this same bubble collapses behind the rider and dumps a ton of air on the passenger. The only way to negate this somewhat is to run the screen all the way up, pushing the air up over the passenger. This will suck for you though in hot weather, and makes you look through the screen.

The RT, GTL, may have the same characteristic. I know the Triumph Trophy I rented was similar to my ST in this regard.

Curiously, my wife has been most happy on bikes that have less of a "bubble" for the rider like the V-Strom, Versys, Tenere, etc. My theory is that on bikes where the air hits ME more, I am effectively becoming a windscreen for my passenger, moving the bubble around her.

Good luck, and take lots of high-speed test rides with your passenger.
  4. eatpasta

eatpasta Lawnmower Target Supporter

Oddometer:
    does she have anything behind her to lean on? that would probably make a huge difference.
    Also the wind screen might be too big. I borrowed my dad's CBX with that heinous Hondaline fairing and the helmet buffeting was the most annoying thing I have ever experienced. Whenever I moved my head, my wife's head moved and vice versa. What a piece of shit that thing is. Love the bike....
    Sometimes no wind protection is best. I notice this when I switch from my FJR to the Speed Triple.
    Sometimes nice, clean air is best
  5. Haroon

Haroon RIDE for PASSION

Oddometer:
    Having done 2-up touring on both the GTL as well as new RT LC (just before the stop ride), I can say they are excellent choices. The windshield goes up a long way on both bikes and for 2-up handling on the interstate or twisty backroads, both bikes are simply superb. Besides, IMPO the first BMW bikes whose stock seats are not too harsh on our bottoms as well. Jokes apart, my wife did indeed doze off momentarily while on the GTL on the I-95 coming into Boston :D
  6. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:

Very good post, and what I was thinking.

Having your head in clean, non turbulent but MOVING air is going to be more comfortable than having it right in the turbulent eddies created by the bubble behind the windshield collapsing.

Next time you ride this same bike with your wife on the back, trying doing 80 with your windshield all the way down and see what she says. Sounds counter intuitive, but might help reduce the turbulence which is what is actually uncomfortable, not the wind itself.
  7. otoko

otoko Tustom User Citle

Oddometer:
    I need to subscribe to this thread. I'm pretty certain my next bike with be a Concours/FJR/ST1300.

Currently on a Ninja 1000, my wife can't handle more than an hour or so. It's got a wide passenger seat, but the ass-to-peg ratio is too tight.
  8. eatpasta

eatpasta Lawnmower Target Supporter

Oddometer:
    my wife didnt like the jump from the 1150 to the FJR. Substantially windier for her on the pillion..... easier to get into the saddle but more uncomfortable over all
  9. oldoval

oldoval Your Ad Here

Oddometer:
    Not to turn this into an ST1300 thread, but....

On our ST I did some experimenting to find out where the wind was coming from that was hitting my wife. Turns out it was coming from under the mirrors, passing under my arm pits and catching her on the chin with some serious force. I built some small thin aluminum "wings" that mounted under the mirrors. This eliminated about 75% of her complaints.

Buffeting and air pressure can come from strange places, especially on a bike that makes a big hole in the air....path of least resistance and all that.

10. 2000RSV

2000RSV Go Fast, Go Long Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yamaha Venture. The Barcalounger of motorcycles. Lots of passenger room, great wind protection, and you can pick up a 5 year old low mileage one for under $10k.

Biggest problem is wife's helmet hitting mine when she falls asleep.

Mind you, it is kind of a dinosaur. V-4 (excellent), carburated, heck, it even still has a cassette deck. But it is reliable as an anvil, and very comfortable for 2-up highway and sweeper duty.