Light Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by carockwell, Jun 18, 2010.

1. carockwell

carockwell Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My R80 ST needs some help lighting the road on low beam. I have been thinking of mounting some auxiliary lights on the forks or the crash bars. Just looking at the set up the crash bars look like the easiest choice, but I have no idea if the light pattern from the crash bars will be any good. The bike has an extra 100 watts capacity from the Enduralast alternator set up. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.
  2. RPD1

RPD1 We don't

Oddometer:
    You can try calling these guys and tell them what you are looking to do.

610 944 3233
    http://www.rallylights.com/New_Products.aspx

They know their product and I'm sure they can point you in the right direction. I know one of the guys in the office rides an airhead but I can't remember his name or what lights he used ( that's helpful) but if I can find his card I'll pass on the info.
  3. squish

squish Waiting to see

Oddometer:
    Check out the old school forum as there are lots of ST riders there.

I ran simple autopart lights on mine for a while and that helped a little.

Another idea is to get a new headlight (ducati uses the same light on the early monsters)
  4. Full Power

Full Power Long timer

Oddometer:
    I really enjoy the HID bulbs, with a seperate BALLAST for low beam use.
    both Buell and KLR take an H7 bulb, and the HID kit was real easy to install.
    For HIGH beam, on the KLR, I use the regular H7 Halogen, but run a relay and some 14 gauge wire from the Voltage Regulator output to the bulb, and add a 12 gauge ground lead to the bulb connector.
    High beam now gets 14.4 volts, right at the lamp socket, roughly double the light output compared to the stock wiring, which made 11.8 volts at the lamp.
    the combination of HID low, and relay boosted halogen HIGH beam throws somewhere around 4 or 5 times the stock light on the road.
  5. Shaggie

Shaggie Unseen University Supporter

Oddometer:
  6. 74C5

74C5 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I"m guessing you have a H4-3 in that. If so, vvme.com bi-zenon H4-3 HID kit will satisfy most of your woes. Get the car kit and you gain an extra ballast and bulb should you ever need one.
  7. One Less Harley

One Less Harley OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer:
  8. CodeMonkee

CodeMonkee Geek Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I used to ride an R100GS and I have seen a lot of aux. lighting on Airhead crashbars. If the lights are good then from what I have seen the position works well. You might want to check some of the threads on LED lighting setups in this subforum as it seems these have improved a lot recently.

It does make a difference what you spend - you don't need to rob a bank, but the ten dollar cheapies from Harbor Freight do little more than get you noticed.
  9. carockwell

carockwell Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The first problem I have with most auxiliary lights is that they are either fog beams which don't project far enough, or drive beams which are the same as high beams. What I need is a good low beam light. It seems to me that most of the lights discussed in the other threads are really drive beams. Who has beams they can recommend for city driving?
  10. Benjava

Benjava ?

Oddometer:
    I thought my low beam sucked until I aimed it better. Sometimes that can help a lot.
  11. MeanMoe

MeanMoe one really mean cat

Oddometer:
    If you don't want to do an HID upgrade to the headlight bucket, then consider the EasternBeaver.com wiring upgrade to get full amperage flowing to the halogen bulb. Jim is a BMW rider and ships Priority mail so don't let an addy of Japan scare you off. Satisfied customer.