Ducati MultiStrada 1200

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Paulvt1, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Sock Monkey

Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

Oddometer:
    That's about right Doc if the valves are in spec. No new shims = less cost (due to less time needed to shim/remeasure/shim/.....). Out of spec and I'm hearing about $1,000-1,200. Also, the newer desmos seem to need shims only every OTHER check, so if you're in spec at 15k, you'll likely need new shims at 30k. So, that averages out to about $1,000US every 15k miles, which matches my service costs on my BMW R12GS which was approx. $400 every 6k miles.

-SM
  2. ZLTFUL

ZLTFUL Optimistic Pessimist

Oddometer:
    She's finally here. Thinking a SS1K or BBGold are in order for the break-in ride.

[​IMG]
  3. Sock Monkey

Oddometer:
    Congrats, but do NOT go out there and drone for 1000 miles to break her in. Get on the back roads and hammer up/down through the gears, lots of accel/decel to really slam the rings against that nice fresh hone to get a good fit and seal. I did that and mine hasn't used a teaspoon of oil in 10k miles, and it goes like a scalded cat. Power wheelies in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear with no problemo...... :clap

-SM
  4. oalvarez

oalvarez Resident Raggamuffin Supporter

Oddometer:
    Congrats, Zitful!

If you haven't ridden one, wait until you do.....it's almost like "cheating." :D
  5. Podman

Podman Rocketman Supporter

Oddometer:
    You are absolutely freakin killing me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  6. anonny

anonny What could go wrong?

Oddometer:
    Your gonna love it.
  7. EJ_92606

EJ_92606 Rider

Oddometer:
    Nice....so did you have it Fedx'd to your house straight from the factory? :D
  8. ZLTFUL

Oddometer:
    LOL. Nah. I originally went into the dealer to get a red one ordered. When I found out how long of a wait I had, he started looking and found a 2011 leftover in white that he would knock $1k off of or the 2012 in white that they had on the way for store stock.
    They also had a Pikes Peak on the way but my financial adviser (i.e. wife) didn't get the difference in price and said the bags added more and cost less anyway. So , I gave them a deposit for the white 2012.

It's actually fully prepped and ready to go so I am going to leave work around 3pm central time today to go pick it up. Rain? It's gonna get wet eventually anyway. :clap
  9. ZLTFUL

Oddometer:
    Actually, the route I had planned out for either takes me through the Ozark mountains in southern Missouri and Northern Arkansas. I've never been one to take the easiest route. :evil
  10. ZLTFUL

Oddometer:
    Haven't searched yet...
    that being said, I can tell right now, that I need a taller windshield. Any suggestions?
  11. llamapacker

llamapacker Mr. Conservative

Oddometer:
  12. Sock Monkey

Oddometer:
    The tall screen that seems to get a universal :thumb from the taller riders is the tall touring Vstream: http://www.compacc.com/p/National-Cycle-VStream-Windshields-Ducati-Multistrada-1200S-10-11/1319001
    Model N20500 is the tall one. The 501 is the same height as stock (I just got this one but have yet to install it), and the 502 is the short sport screen.

-SM
  13. brokeassloser

brokeassloser I'll do it!!!

Oddometer:
    3/8" spacer at the bottom screw in the stock screen. It made a world of difference for me (a 6'5" rider) and cost me the price of a longer screw.It cures most of the buffeting that makes the stock screen otherwise useless at it's tallest setting.Enjoy the new ride. Its the most fun bike I've owned and I've owned alot of them!
  14. ZLTFUL

Oddometer:
    Yeah...I am right there with you so far. I mean it isn't pissing rainbows and shitting unicorns quite yet but it is pretty effin' awesome. :evil
  15. Sideout

Sideout Noob Adventurer

Oddometer:
  16. Tubulchain

Tubulchain ODAAT Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is this bike well sorted at low rpm's from the factory these days? Looking at the forums and it seems like some people have done ecu work but then also that Ducati has made adjustments. Gonna put a serious dent in the buying experience if I end up spending 20k to then find I have to put additional money into tuning just to have it run right at regular street rpm's.

Some people love to do ecu work and are trying to get more of something out of it and that is great. I just want a smooth engine (for a twin). Will I get that out of the box?
  17. SayItAintSo

SayItAintSo Wanna be

Oddometer:
    I guess it depends on what you mean by "regular street rpms".
    Mine runs just fine at 3k and is barely passable at 2-2.5K. To be honest though, it is hard to run around at 3k. The bike just begs to be run fast. If you are looking for something that likes to chug along at 1.5k the Multi isn't the right bike.
  18. Bails

Bails Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would not say the Tuning below 4k is well sorted. Typical trying to meet emission standards. Runs the same as my BMW r11s, Buell XB12X with jerky constant throttle due to Closed loop fuel control turning fuel on and off based on O2 sensor inputs. I have put FatDucs on mine and has imporved 95% so is now rideable at low speed constant throttle.

I have owned mine 12 months now, nice bike to ride, engageing , not well finished, I looked at a new model the other day and still has unrefined finish. If you are buying as upright sportsbike you will not be dissapointed. If you are after adventure style bike, by the GSA !
  19. oalvarez

oalvarez Resident Raggamuffin Supporter

Oddometer:
    agree with Sideout and one of the other posters......i personally prefer the MRA Touring screen for both its function and form....couple that with the "Aztec" windscreen spacer kit (search Ducati.MS, Aztec) and you should be good to go if you're around 5'10/30"-31" inseam/34"-35" sleeve. Cee Bailey and Z-Technik (V-Stream) are others you might look at as well. Unfortunately, you won't know which works best for you (ergos, gear), your bike, or your helmet until you try each of them out. :D

have fun!
  20. Tubulchain

Tubulchain ODAAT Supporter

Oddometer:
    Put money down on a Ti touring yesterday. Now comes the hard part... waiting till it arrives!