The 650 Dakar Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by underwaterguru, Mar 10, 2009.

1. She_Braaps

She_Braaps Flying Merkel

Oddometer:
    That it is!!

does anyone have any information about the front fork swap with a yz? looking to upgrade my suspension and heard that was my best bet.

:ear
  2. Kainic

Kainic Almost there

Oddometer:
  3. Dirt Rover

Dirt Rover Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's a great deal...congrats, but I wish I would have found it first.:freaky

Keep us up to date on your adventure with replacing the forks...I'm thinking of doing that too.
  4. Dirt Rover

Dirt Rover Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ...what's a little money for our enjoyment, right? The question is how much have you spent on it since you bought it? It's pretty obvious we have a serious group of tinkerers and upgraders here. I think it's genetically impossible for a Dakar rider to remain "stock".
  5. kubiak

kubiak Long timer

Oddometer:
    yes i would pay anything to keep riding. i dont have a whole lot invested in my dakar since i do everything in my shop but this one is a keeper for a long time.
  6. Notnewchevy

Notnewchevy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :lol3:lol3:lol3 Hey all,
    So I have read about this on f650.com. But not real clear on how to do it and if this would cause problems riding in the rain. I don't want to fill up my airfilter/airbox with water. I live in AK and riding in the rain will happen. Is this a mod worth doing? Does it make the bike to loud. Does anyone have pictures of what they did. Is this worth doing even if I don't have an exhaust yet?
    Just getting my bike prepped for the season and wondering if this is a mod to add to my to do list.
    Sorry for the confusion.
    Yes the snorkel cut off mod. Where to cut the snorkle and is it something worth doing? If it doesn't help horsepower no need to do it right. As for making it louder> I do want more sound from this bike but want it coming out of the tail pipe not the intake.
  7. rmarkr

rmarkr Squatter

Oddometer:
    What mod?
  8. GSBS

GSBS FunHog

Oddometer:
    ...to bring my 03 Dakar back from the dead (YZ front end, 18/21 black Excel rims from Woody's, Pro Taper bars, Cycra handguards, RC-51 pipe, ABS removal, PivotPegz, etc.). Bike just turned over 75K.

A buddy and I camped at Pigeon Mountain and explored around N GA all weekend and the bike did really well loaded.

Photo with in-camera HDR filter applied from Hood Overlook on Pigeon Mountain: (click photo to open gallery of other shots from the weekend, mostly with HDR filter applied because I'm playing with this feature on my new camera)
    [​IMG]

BTW, this was the same bike before the wreck (around 2008):
    [​IMG]
  9. JDLuke

JDLuke Ravening for delight

Oddometer:
    I'm going to assume you're talking about cutting the snorkel off a couple of inches in front of the filter.

I did it to my bike years ago, and to be honest I didn't notice any sort of difference except that it "growls" a little more than it used to. I have ridden through some insane rains with it, though, and had no issues at all.
  10. kubiak

kubiak Long timer

Oddometer:
    mine if cut off too and i riveted a piece of bent aluminum in front of it just in case it rains hard. it also quieted down the little growl i got from it.
  11. Parx400

Parx400 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Are any of you single spark guys running a power commander or Fuel Nanny still? It seems like no one but me is. I don't think my 2002 has ever been re programmed and it had major stumble issues when I got it. The fuel nanny fixed it. I wonder if the reprogram would be enough to get ride of the Fuel Nanny. I'm not adding very much gas with it.
  12. PhilzLeads

PhilzLeads Goin' mobile

Oddometer:
    This '01 runs best with an Iridium plug. When I first got it, it was rough. The plug changed that. Every now and then, coming to a stop it will stall. No fuel nanny or anything else on it.
  13. Benjah

Benjah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    yeah iridium plug here (2001 Dakar) and no problem with stalling
  14. Odin69

Odin69 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here's some pictures from a trip I did last year on my 03 Dakar.

Montana

[​IMG]

Idaho

[​IMG]

Oregon

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. PhilzLeads

PhilzLeads Goin' mobile

Oddometer:

Sweeeet ! Love the Jesse Cases....they are Jesse right? Did you have them put on or buy them with the bike?
  16. Odin69

Odin69 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, they're Jesse's. I put them on. I bought the bike new in 2004
  17. GSBS

GSBS FunHog

Oddometer:
    ...they are by far the best of the hard cases out there IMO. Narrower profile and more capacity than any of the others, plus the lid storage is really nice.
  18. Odin69

Odin69 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I hear you, I like mine too. I like the looks of the new bracket system though, it has a cleaner look. However, the old style bracket system that I have, has saved the ass-end of my bike a few times. I don't think the newer one would hold up aswell?
  19. brinboise

brinboise Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was doing some wrenching on my '03 Dakar and for shits and giggles put a voltmeter on the battery and WTF...it read 12.2V to 12.4V at any rpm.
    This can't be right, can it?
    It has a new sealed battery as of last year and the previous owner replaced the VR
    2 years ago.
  20. super8mm

super8mm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    my volt meeter on my 02 will get up to 14v sometimes