Motoport Kevlar first impressions (long, many pics...)

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Gringo, May 18, 2005.

1. harderkev

harderkev Slab Sucks!

Oddometer:
    Datchew,

Thanks for the recommendations. I will consider all and probably request many that you suggested. I especially like the sleeve (and possibly leg?) tensioners you mentioned. That would make it easier to fit larger layers underneath in colder weather but still allow a close fit when it's warm. I was also considering subdued (black) retro-reflective stripes instead of the white (if available).

I think the tear and abrasion strength list you're referring to is listed on the website under "save your hide".

I've asked Wayne for some high-resolution pics of his standard color schemes. If I get them, I'll be sure to post to this thread so others can see. I think there are some, myself included, that would still like to see a few more detailed pics of this gear. :D
  2. datchew

datchew Don't buy from Brad

Oddometer:
    Cool.

Actually, early in this thread, Gringo (i think) posted some good up close pics of the material.

Wayne said theres some kind of tightening strap on the legs of the pants that comes standard when I asked him, but there's still the jacket which I didn't ask about.
  3. GSWayne

GSWayne Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The tightening strap on the legs is to adjust the fit around your boots. With the stretch Kevlar I don't think the adjustment straps are necessary. The material does not have any tendency to flap. My Joe Rocket Alter Ego Jacket had those sorts of adjustments, but I don't miss them on the Motoport gear.
  4. dlew

dlew Daypass Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:

I'm considering having Wayne add some straps to the elbow area to take up the slack when I'm not wearing a lot of layers. I'm not so concerned about the flapping as I am about the armor rotating out of place in a get-off.

Wayne believe that that armor will conform to your body and it may not be necessary so I'm going to wait and see. The BMW Santiago jacket I own has straps around the elbow area which gives me good piece of mind.
  5. Slappy McGee

Slappy McGee Fatty Fat

Oddometer:
    I'd be interested to hear what you guys do for the straps. My order is in the pipeline as of last week so if wayne comes up with something cool I'd love to "get in on the action."
  6. Gringo

Gringo simple by nature

Oddometer:
    a small drinking village with a fishing problem

My stretch kevlar pants do NOT have a horizontal strap around the ankles to tighten around the boots - just vertical velcro strips all the way to the bottom; no snaps either like aerostitch though they would be easy to add. My wife's mesh kevlar pants DO have horizontal velcro strips. Not sure why the difference but thought it was worth pointing out here. I noticed this right out of the box, was upset at first but have since found that for everyday commuting it makes the pants easier to get in and out of and I have not noticed a tendency for the bottom of the legs to open up. As the velcro ages this could change, but it's easy to replace the old velcro or add straps if that happens. So tell Wayne if you want ankle straps if you're getting stretch, or confirm they automatically come with the mesh and that it's not a design change over the 2 or 3 years between our pants' manufacturing dates.

As for armor fit, it does in fact eventually conform to your body quite well, and once it gets in shape it tends to stay put, it doesn't slide around much. The pads are initially flat, not shaped, but they are mitered out to bend around elbow, knee & shoulder in such a way that once you have the jacket/pants on, with the fabric forcing the pads to wrap around your body and close the miters the pads want to stay where they're supposed to be. It took awhile for them to conform (weeks/months) but now I never notice them unless the suit's been hanging overnight in a 20F garage. If you go to the track alot and expect to do alot of high-speed crashing then maybe extra straps would be worthwhile, otherwise I question the necessity as I've had my stretch jacket up to 95mph and there was no flapping in the sleeves - and the mesh is so much stiffer I doubt you could make that flap at 205mph...

I'm coming up on a year since I got my suit, and I'm still very pleased with it - definitely worth the money, and very nice to live with for everyday riding in any conditions :clap
  7. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    I keep telling myself that about the armor, but I've got over 10k in the stuff now and its still quite pitiful compared to any other armored gear I've ever had. Even cheep JR stuff has better armor. Don't get me wrong, I love the kevlar, but find the armor to be the worst I've experenced by far. It probably doesn't help that I'm on the skinny side and ride a sport bike. sitting on a dual sport it feels decent, wraped around the tank on the sport bike it feels like I've got a couple planks in my elbows. I'm going to try pulling the armor out of an old JR jacket and see if I can't fit it into the motoport one. Any thoughts?
  8. GSWayne

GSWayne Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Gringo is correct about the adjustment of the pants, I just used his phrase about straps. The vertical strips do allow you to adjust the tightness of the fit at the bottom the the legs. It is a set and forget adjustment. It has no effect on the easy of getting the pants on or off because of the zippers that open up the legs. If any velcro will wear out it will be the zipper covers because they get cycled every time you put on the pants.
  9. minging

minging Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great thread guys; thanks to everyone for contributing for the benefit of others. I am sold. Ideally, I would get the pants now and the jacket down the line. However, on Motoport's website, it lists the Ultra II Kevlar Jacket as currently marked down to $429 from $599, so I am considering getting the jacket now to save the $170.

Does anyone know if this is a true sale (and if so, when it will end) or if this is a semi-permanent markdown that has been in place for some time?

TIA
  10. Gringo

Gringo simple by nature

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty sure it's been that way for awhile - I think that's the price I paid, about a year ago now.
  11. Whammo

Whammo Nature's toothbrush

Oddometer:
    Tell you what, my buddy hit a Caddy head on wearing Motoport, bounced off of every non-vertical surface, and landed on the other side. He then stood up, brushed himself off, and told people to put away their cel phones...he was fine.
    No way I'd want to crash in Jo Rocket stuff.
  12. yelostn78

yelostn78 Have GS will Travel

Oddometer:
    I just bought a jacket and pants for the wife and myself in the stretch Kevlar. I am 6'6" and My wife is from Puerto Rico, so in other words, guy on stilts, and fine latin body. Wayne at motoport had no problem talking us through the measurements he needed. After waiting the lead time, we recieved the suits. Mine fits like a glove, the liner, the jacket pants everything. My wife's does as well. We marked with tape on my wife's most comfortable jeans the measurements motoport needed to make the riding pants. They came back perfect.
    I rode the other weekend in 75 degree weather without the liners in and this thing gets beter airflow than my vanson perf jacket. Feels just like blue jeans. I highly recommend Motoport, It is worth the $$$ and the lead time(mine was about 12 weeks). I will get some pics posted. :D
  13. minging

minging Adventurer

Oddometer:
  14. Racegun

Racegun Single Track Mind!

Oddometer:
    I thought i did a write up on my motoport ultraII Kevlar Mesh....
    Well now that a few months have passed... i can share the following.

1. Every one who wrote about their experience...is about what I would say.
    2. Wayne is a good man to deal with. Do not hesitate to call him
    3. I have low sided in my stitch. IT DOES MELT! GOOD thing I was going slow.
    4. The Mesh is the most versitile as it is better in HOT weather. Just add layers or electrics depending on the cold.

5. I hope Wayne stays in business for many years. There is nothing out there that does as good of a job. AND SADLY, plenty gear that is frankly a waist of money...well maybe better than riding in your birthday suit :eek1 , but not much more

To those... Gringo and others..who took time to write and share about the wonder of the "PORT" .. thank you! While I am in no way associated with Wayne, His product is light years ahead of all other gear. And I am very greatful for that. I ride with safety and comfort....for the first time in 30 yrs !
  15. Jabba

Jabba "HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

Oddometer:
    Just east of the Pine Beatle- Evergreen, CO
    Not to spam this thread up... but it seems that every Motoport customer in the world is on here so what the hell~ Flame me if you must.

I have a brand new (ridden with it ONCE) motoport cordura jacket and quilted liner. Size is marked XXXL but it fits just a hair smaller than a XXL Darien. It's got a mesh liner, armor and the zip in black quilted liner. I bought it for winter use, but have since replaced my original Darien so I've got that base covered. I'd like to get $150 for it- as I said, it's brand new. Might even have the tags lying around someplace. Color is black and red- and I can email you pics if you're interested. First PM gets it. :ear
  16. harderkev

harderkev Slab Sucks!

Oddometer:
    Here's what I've asked Wayne regaring options on my gear. Feel free to respond to if you have an answer to any of these questions.:ear

<tt>
    </tt>I'll be sure to post Wayne's response to this thread for your information.

Here's a photo-shopped image of what I'm looking at getting. The color options are limited in the mesh and I really wanted some blue on the suit to match my bike, so here's what I came up with. It sure is frustrating trying to guess what this stuff is going to look like! As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words...

View attachment 70963
  17. Gringo

Gringo simple by nature

Oddometer:
    Nice colors!
  18. harderkev

harderkev Slab Sucks!

Oddometer:
    :dunno

I can't help but feel a little put-off by this response. I didn't think I was asking for too much but that sure is what his last comment sounds like. Am I one of the those overly demanding consumers I dismissed earlier?

I'm going to give him a call and try to work this out.
  19. charleshmosesii

charleshmosesii No skills no worries

Oddometer:
    You have a pretty good photo hack! That's like my Motoport except the blue in the jacket in your photo is red, and the pants are all black.

I would opt for no upper pockets on the jacket. That's what I did. IMO, it looks better, and you don't need those pockets.
  20. SamTheEagle

SamTheEagle Sam the Eagle

Oddometer:

Charlie,

This thread is useless without pix.

Can you either post a pic or send me a photo of what the jacket looks like w/o the pockets?

I'd be very appreciatory.

Thanks man
    Sam