Street Glide vs. Electra Glide Classic

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by skysailor, Dec 20, 2012.

1. Cakeeater

Cakeeater Long timer

Oddometer:

I'd vote for the electra glide. All about suspension travel on the back. Even on the 'standard' HD touring bikes the rear suspension is prob. the weakest link. Slamming it another inch seems silly. I've got a Road Glide Ultra and love it...and I would not want to lose any rear wheel travel.

So if you swap out longer shocks, the street glide would work fine. But I'd do the E Glide.

As to 600 k. days??? Those are pretty short. :) You might want to bump up to 1000 k days, or 1600 k days.

I'll echo what others have said. I was shocked by how nicely the newer HD touring bikes eat up serious miles. I'm not obsessive about chewing up miles but I already got a 1,000 mile plus day under my belt in the first year, and I got up the next morning and rode another long day. Easy. Either is a great bike.

Cakeeater
  2. DynaSport

DynaSport Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  3. Shastarider

Shastarider Head and Eyes

Oddometer:
  4. DynaSport

Oddometer:
    The EG Classic, as great a bike as it may be, with the chrome fender protector and bag guards looks like an old man bike to me, whether they have great low speed handling or not.

Just my opinion.
  5. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    The short suspension on the touring bikes already compromises cornering clearance and ride quality, I'd rule out the 1"-lower Street Glide on that criteria alone.

When I was buying, I was torn between the RK and the Electra Glide Classic because where I am they cost nearly the same and the EGC is great bang for the buck. But I went with my heart and got the RK. For touring, the only thing it lacks compared to the EGC is the tour-pak and stereo. The batwing is a toss-up. It gives a bit better wind protection for your arms and hands but you're stuck with it even on the hottest summer days. The RK's large stock windshield still gives very good protection and there are loads of aftermarket options for larger windshields, hand guards and detachable batwings with stereos (I use my android and a Sena SM-10).

I added a detachable tour-pak and fairing lowers to my RK, as well as HD's Sun-Ray seat, which is the heated version of the seat that comes on the Ultra. It makes a great two-up tourer. For solo touring, the saddlebags and a seat bag or sissybar bag would more than suffice if you are a light packer.

Town mode
    [​IMG]

Touring mode
    [​IMG]
  6. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Being a 30 year Harley tech and owner I've probably more Harley miles than most. Hell I've probably got more miles on other people's bikes than most :D IMO buy the Road King and dress it accordingly. The most versatile touring platform package of all.
  7. Dave in Wi

Dave in Wi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Madison WI (40 Square Miles Surrounded By Reality)
    Do you wear a full face helmet, and do you get buffeting behind the RK shield?
  8. EricD10563

EricD10563 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wear a FF and I got buffeting with the shield, even tried two different shields, the last one had a curve on the top which created less buffeting, both shields allowed me to look over it easily. The E-Glide I have no buffeting it's the stock shield but it's really hard for me to look over it and I might purchase a lower shield and maybe I will get buffeted and if I had a taller shield on the RK I might not have had any buffeting. Also I can hear the radio at 80+mph on the glide, but the RK with earbuds it could be hard to hear. I think some of the turbulence is coming from below on the RK compared to the Glide. I have lowers like Twinrider but didn't on the RK I wonder if that also makes a difference?
  9. DynaSport

Oddometer:
    Lowers definitely make a difference. Even on the EG.
  10. ERD

ERD Custom Rider

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]Disclaimer: My 09 ElectraGlide Classic and 08 StreetGlide

I own and operate a fleet to these:

ElectraGlides are the best value for the money. They cost about the same as a StreetGlide and have most everything needed for a touring without some of the (IMHO) useless options on the Ultra and the Limited.

With that said, I really prefer the StreetGlide. Maybe I'm a purist and dislike all the pinstriping, guards, and trim pieces. It also comes with different floor boards, shifter, and 18: front wheel. It handles better due to the lower center of gravity. I put ElectraGlide seats on the StreetGlide on long rides. I also have tour box (TourPak) on quick detach so I can have the luggage space when needed. The only drawback on the StreetGlide is the low ground clearance at corning limits and the low windshield.
  11. davet2

davet2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a 2000 FLHTP. I put on a detachable tour pak rack and small leather tour pak years ago. Not as much room as the full size tour pak but a lot less expensive. I think the police models are the best value, unless you absolutely have to have a brand new bike.
  12. twinrider

Oddometer:
    Dave, I usually wear a full face helmet except in the dog days of summer when I sometimes wear a 3/4 Arai. For reference, I'm 5'7" with a 30" inseam. I do get some buffeting at highway speeds with the stock windshield. Not headbanging but still annoying. I moved to an LRS 19" recurve shield. That was an improvement but didn't eliminate the problem.

What did completely eliminate the buffeting for me is the new CVO Road King Windsplitter shield, which has an adjustable vent that directs air upward to counteract the air flowing downward from over the shield. Sounds weird but it really works, at least for someone my height. You can read about it here.

[​IMG]
  13. skysailor

skysailor Rat Rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the food for thought you guys have given me. I'm headed down to Phoenix third week in Feb to rent a bike and make like a tourist. Looking forward to 6 days on an Electra Glide! That should make up my mid for me.
    Lyle
  14. EricD10563

EricD10563 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Give me a shout I live about an hour away from Phoenix, maybe we can get a ride in, head down to Bisbee or Tombstone. Maybe my friend will come along she rides a 2011 Street Glide with 24k miles she likes to ride.
  15. skysailor

skysailor Rat Rider

Oddometer:
    Eric. I'll do that. Thanks
    Lyle
  16. BigEasy

BigEasy Fish Eyed Heathen

Oddometer:
    I agree but you can find therm new. I bought this in 2010 with 12 miles on it

[​IMG]

The guy at the dealer told me that when a dealership gets a contract they are required to order and hold two bikes as spares for the department making the order. After six months they are free to sell the bikes sans siren & flashing lights. They are some what hard to find but since I bought mine I've seen probably close to a dozen in a hand full of dealerships.
  17. boatpuller

boatpuller Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's not the wind shield, it's the air coming up around the tank that gets caught under/in your helmet. Try putting your feet up on the bars and "hug" the tank with your legs. You'll find very calm air behind the RK windshield.

So, the best thing are those God-awful ugly chrome wind deflectors that go down on the outside of the forks. They are about $70 US, and work very well. I use a 3/4 helmet with full face shield and now have no buffeting.

(Would use a FF helmet, but with the speedo on the tank, you can't see it easily with a FF helmet.)

BTW, I do long trips (4000-12,000 miles) each year on a Road King, as well as run down to the store on it. I prefer it over the Electra Glide because the batwing faring makes me feel too claustrophobic.
  18. boatpuller

boatpuller Long timer

Oddometer:
    For local rides and short 300 - 360 mile days lightly loaded and solo, heck yes just throw the windshield on the Super Glide Custom. You'll also need bags, a comfy seat, and little else. It's wont eat up the miles as effortlessly as the touring frame, but it is very competent for how you'll use it. And it has the same relaxing engine as the touring Harley's with 200 fewer pounds of weight.
  19. twinrider

Oddometer:
    It's also the wind coming over the shield, as evidenced by the big difference in buffeting when the Wind Splitter vent is open directing air upward to counter the wind coming over the shield, and when it's closed.

Btw, I also found that the National Cycle hand guards also greatly improve wind protection by blocking a lot of the air that gets around the sides of the windshield
  20. ArmSC

ArmSC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree with you that all you really need is some touring gear for that super and you can go as far as you want. However the SG would be my choice if you are talking about new bikes. I think they are a very good looking motorcycle and you don't need the tour pak. I know a fella that did a long weekend two up without the pak and had no problems. Less chrome to polish or scratch, better wheels, and just a more aggressive look overall. I wouldn't even think about a King if I were you.