Better bulbs for F8?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by matho..., Nov 21, 2010.

1. matho...

matho... Μιά ζωή OnOffάς!

Oddometer:
    I just change the OEM bulbs of F8's light with a set of Philips X-treme Power H7.Hmmmmm...I cannot say there is a WOWWW difference.Is that the fact that the F8 has allready good lighting or there is any other bulb doing this different?What do you believe?
    Take a look of the VS of my F8.Left as looking is the OEM(Osram)and right side is the new Philips X-treme Power...
    Low beam
    [​IMG]

High beam
    [​IMG]
  2. Roy1980

Roy1980 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    the philips looks a little bit brighter in the middle section. but not much difference in range and spread of the light.
    so the standard bulb looks to be just fine.
  3. Lost Roadie

Lost Roadie High-Tech Meets Low Class Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lake Isabella, CA USA / Mai Chau, Vietnam

changing lamps wouldn't change the spread, that's determined by the reflectors. :ear

I think the GS has extremely good stock lighting, and might not have believed it could be improved if I didn't see it with my own two, excellent, lighting professional trained eye's.

I've been meaning to tell you folks I put new lamps in my bike and can't believe the substantial improvement they made.
    I haven't taken the time to take photos like the OP but trust me these lamps make a noticeable improvement. I don't believe online photos will do them justice.
    I'm currently commuting 70+ miles home in the dark, half on two lane country roads daily. I have plenty of miles under my belt to know what it looked like with OEM lamps and now what it looks like with these.
    I highly recommend them for a cheap upgrade that improves safety, or when your OEM lamps fail, as was my case. (3rd set of lamps for me)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for posting mAthosalas
  4. matho...

Oddometer:
    Hi thanks.I also had the motovision installed on my previous bike,a DL650 Vstrom.There it was better the difference between the stock bulbs and the motovision.Yes.But now with my F8 I think that the stock are so good to be different.So I think it's a waist of time(and money-but that the less)to change that.In my opinion :)
  5. Lost Roadie

Lost Roadie High-Tech Meets Low Class Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lake Isabella, CA USA / Mai Chau, Vietnam
    Well, everyone's eye's are different so this whole thing is subjective... but my headlight now puts out more useable light with these lamps over the OEM to me.
    I was just replacing failed EOM lamps instead of upgrading so I figured why not and was pleasantly surprised. It's not like I'm going to go buy new lamps from a BMW dealer? :lol3
  6. rubicon1979

rubicon1979 Private Dancer

Oddometer:
    I changed mine this week also. I used the Osram 65w H7's and its easily a noticeable difference and well worth the $40 it cost. I ride home past a state park at night and I see 5-10 deer every night. Both of my brothers have hit a deer in the last month alone so anything that might help is worthwhile for me.

I have the Touratech xenon fog light on order so when it gets here I will be lighting up the night ;)
  7. matho...

Oddometer:
    Wouldn't be there any problems with the 65w instead of the 55w?:huh
  8. huckleberry

huckleberry BACK ROAD BOMBER

Oddometer:
    I tried the sylvania ultra's they might have been a tad brighter but burned out in 3,000 miles
  9. Roy1980

Roy1980 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    most of the the way the light shines is determined by the reflector yes.
    but the bulb itself also makes more difference then most would think.

read an article not to long ago where they compared a lot of different bulbs, using the same lamp for each one. and really measuring the light output and the range and spread (in a special laboratory). and there's a real big difference between bulbs, especially between the very cheap ones and the better (more expensive) ones.
  10. matho...

Oddometer:
    You mena the MOTORRAD's test?:deal
  11. Roy1980

Roy1980 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    yes :evil (the dutch version)
  12. ADVSearcher

ADVSearcher Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Somebody that have tried Philips newest, the XP Moto on their 800GS ? The XP Moto should according to the advertising be a tad more brighter then the MotoVision ...

Also, that thing with the orange light from the MotoVision (when you look at the bike, not the actual beamed light), is it actually an argument for safety ?

MotoVision:
    http://www.lighting.philips.com/in_en/consumer/carlighting/2_2wheeler_lighting/products_for_2wheeler/1_motovision.php?main=in_en_consumer_lighting&parent=89083467512&id=in_en_car_lighting&lang=en

XP Moto:
    http://www.lighting.philips.com/in_en/consumer/carlighting/2_2wheeler_lighting/products_for_2wheeler/4_xpmoto.php?main=in_en_consumer_lighting&parent=89083467512&id=in_en_car_lighting&lang=en
  13. matho...

Oddometer:
    Just take a look of the 1st post above...:deal I can't say that I found it a really upgrade.
  14. ADVSearcher

ADVSearcher Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :augie :lol3

Ye ... XP = Xtreme Power.

What about the safety argument for the orange thing with the MotoVision then ...
  15. raider

raider Big red dog

Oddometer:
    Dunno if it works, but many South African riders swear by orange lighting, they even put orange tinted lenses over their lights for daytime use.
  16. KLRscoob

KLRscoob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you want the wow difference go HID. With the HID's installed my low beam is now brighter than my High beam was with the silverstar's. They pull less current and are a super easy install. Try DDM, they have a set of the motorcycle units with slim ballast at like $60 bucks.
  17. matho...

Oddometer:
    Look at them indtalled on my x-Vstrom
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

There,I had better result,better lighting for sure.As for the optical difference,I could see an orange lighting down of the light,not on the road only on Vstrom's light.They say that is better looking,more visible for human eye,that is the reason you are more visible on the road from other drivers.
    Hope it's help you Q)

Give please a link,is that easy?thanks :clap
  18. eepeqez

eepeqez Long timer

Oddometer:
    What do you use for oncoming traffic now your low beam is so bright?

The light source in an HID capsule is a completely different shape to a halogen globe filament; quite apart from the extra light, you inevitably send light places it shouldn't be going, glaring oncoming traffic even on low beam. That's why HID conversions of halogen lights are illegal.
  19. Roy1980

Roy1980 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    the orange glow in the motovision bulbs are not really to see more on the road. it's meant to make motorcycles more visible in traffic.

when riding at night in busy traffic, a single small motorcycle headlight is often overlooked through all the car headlights.
    the orange glow makes the motorcycle to stand out of the crowd and get's other drivers attention.
  20. KLRscoob

KLRscoob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I dont know how it is effecting the other drivers, I do know that I am very rarely flashed by oncoming traffic letting me know the lights are too bright. As far as the police, my philosophy is simple, if I get pulled over for having lights that are too bright, then they did their job, I got noticed! When riding I want to be safe, and if having extremely bright lights gets me noticied than so be it!