Helmet: Dual Sport or Standard?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by HappyHighwayman, Apr 11, 2012.

1. HappyHighwayman

HappyHighwayman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do you guys tend to wear dual-sport helmets, standard visor'd helmets, or both depending on the ride?
  2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
    Shoei Hornet DS or Scorpion EXO-900 Transformer, depending.
  3. Barman

Barman Way Offline

Oddometer:
    Dual sport for off road regular helmet on the street. The visor IMO is a pain at speeds over 50 mph. Blows the helmet all over the place. Looks cool though....:lol3
  4. Mudcat

Mudcat Unregistered

Oddometer:
    It shouldn’t, you are doing something wrong. As if dirt riders do not ride over 50 mph.
    I have an Arai XD which I love, no sun in my eyes and it reduces road glare. It allows me to see the road surface much clearer then I can with a traditional road riding helmet.
    I bought a Shoie RF 1000 a few years ago thinking it would be quieter for long rides that may include slab but it’s not. The helmet is more aerodynamic and works better above 100 mph then my Arai. But for everything else, no way.:deal
  5. michelsavage

michelsavage Gotta move

Oddometer:
    Anybody has experience with the X-Lite 551 - dual sport with removable visor? Reviews are good. Expensive.

ps: I've ridden without a helmet for two years in Rhode Island, USA. According to accident stats there, drivers are often hurt by helmets. Passengers must wear a helmet, not the drivers. Anyway, I don't want to troll here. Anyone with an opinion on the X-Lite?
  6. HappyHighwayman

HappyHighwayman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can to provide reference to this claim? Incidentally I wouldn't brag about not wearing a helmet....it doesn't make you seem smart.

I have a Shoei RF-1100 which I like but was thinking of buying a modular helmet like the NeoTec for sport touring.
  7. smilin'Ed

smilin'Ed Ed

Oddometer:
    any comments on the ICON Variant? thinkinf about getting one.
  8. ChrisC

ChrisC Amal sex?

Oddometer:
    Yes... and I've heard loud pipes save lives. :norton
  9. AviatorTroy

AviatorTroy Following my front fender

Oddometer:
    Although I have no direct experience, I would not personally buy anything with the name Icon on it. Icon is the Cheg Shen of motorcycle apparel if you want my opinion.
  10. Barman

Barman Way Offline

Oddometer:
    I put helmet on head, ass on seat, twist throttle. Visor does funny shit to helmet at speed. Conclusion: I don't need visor. YMMV :lol3
  11. Chowdown

Chowdown Texas Aussie

Oddometer:
    ive had one for 2 years now. only bought it because of my melon head, its one of the few helmets that come in xxxl and long oval shape.

its been a good helmet, the only time wind affects it is when there is a strong crosswind, blows your head around a bit, otherwise its been good.
  12. BOB RAMSAY

BOB RAMSAY Not in the Clique -

Oddometer:
    Worn both over 40 years - even open face long ago.

Now, I use a dual sport style (Arai XD3). What I like the best is the sun visor. Period. Even with a visor, I occasionally 'ton-up' although I do tilt my head forward at 100+mph. Not an issue if you keep your head down. Up to 60-70mph, no problem for me.

Companies other than Arai are following the model of XD3, for good reason so you can probably save money there.
    But, it won't be an Arai. I use to hear, "if you have a $20 head, buy a $20 helmet, if you have a $100 head . . . ." I guess I, inflation adjusted, have a $500 head!
    RevZilla.com has last year's XD model on sale right now as an upgraded (2012) model is now available, Sale price, $399, normally $525+. Best of luck -
  13. amycyclenut

amycyclenut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I ride primarily street and I was wearing the Shoei Hornet, but I agree with a previous poster, for ME, at HW speeds my head was all over the place. Even my friend riding behind me noticed. I hated it. Eventually I went back to a standard street helmet, Arai RX-Q. The difference is night and day when I'm on the HW.

I guess I was one of those "doing something wrong" which sucks, cuz I sure liked the look of it.
  14. Jon_Garfio

Jon_Garfio Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have Shoei Hornet DS and runs fine for everything. At velocity up to 160kms/h not has good.
  15. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    I started by using a exo-700....loved it... Used it for two years...wore it out... Bought another one..... Then tried the exo-900 transformer...... way too loud....ie too much wind noise. Just bought an arai xd3... for one single purpose.... the sun visor.... Too may times have I rode in to the setting southwest dessert sun and couldn't see a thing. Plus I got it for $280.... The xd3 is a little noisier ... but fits better.... I use the 700 on the scoot...and the xd3 on either enduros.:thumb:thumb

Erling
  16. BeachMoto

BeachMoto Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am on my third year with the XD3. Bought a Schuberth C-3 but kept going back the Arai. Sold the Schuberth last month.

I ride all year and the only issue with the XD3 is fogging, one of these days I will buy a pinlock shield/insert for it.

I have experienced the effect of the wind on the peak, the only time it bothered me was on a trip across the Texas panhandle a couple of years ago, the crosswinds were killing me, the wind kept snapping my head sideways, my neck hurt like a son of a gun at the end of the day. I ended up taking the peak off for a few days, it only took a couple of minutes and took care of the problem.
  17. KDouble

KDouble AKA BeefCurtain

Oddometer:
    I agree completly bought the XD3 nice helmet looks great, but the visor is like a wing!
  18. Chilly

Chilly Been here awhile

Oddometer: