The CRF250L Owners thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by joec63, Sep 4, 2012.

1. pjturbo

pjturbo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You don't go to any public meeting on riding areas, do you.

Phil
  2. Downstater

Downstater Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Although I agree to a degree that ill-maintained 2 smokers and 4 stroke mx bikes with straight thru race exhausts definitely do not help, I think they have become something of a scapegoat lately to close down orv parks. I HAVE been to a couple meetings upstate and there is always some douche bag developer in the back of the room with a shit grin on his face or a pretentious rich hippy that just moved in next door. Bottom line is that money is Often the real root cause. They just use noise because it's simple and universally understandable. Let the flaming begin, but that has been my experiwnce thus far with this issue.
  3. SugarDust

SugarDust Kulia i ka nu'u

Oddometer:
    No flaming anyone - dialouge is good. Lets say that money is the root, we as riders loose on that as well. Do the majority of us support OHV access groups like the Blue Ribbon Coalition or AMA etc.? My experience is that most don't, so we loose on all counts - we as riders make it harder on us by giving anti - access groups something to bang us over the head with (noise), and we don't fund our own defense - anyway this is getting off the thread topic so thats all for me on this.
  4. TNC

TNC Candyass Camper

Oddometer:
    A good deal of what you're saying about the motivational issues behind land closures is true. Many groups are trying just about as hard to push mountainbiking off of public trails, and I seriously doubt that has much to do with loud mufflers. That said, there is a reasonable expectation that we as off roaders should use some common sense and good judgement about how loud our exhaust systems are. Most quality systems available today operate within the standards of acceptable db levels and really aren't the problem. The one in the recent video does seem to be extremely loud if the audio is truly representative of conditions. Noise at the extreme levels does cause problems. Some cities and communities have passed db level regulations in recent times, especially as they relate to open-piped cruiser motorcycles and fast-and-furious tuner cars. In a time when common sense and logic are in short supply, we as off roaders shouldn't be part of the problem. If I'm not mistaken, even professional, closed course, motorcycle racing of nearly all types have enacted some db level restrictions. Just about all of them have some excellently designed exhaust systems that produce power within those restrictions without sounding like a Toyota Prius.:D
  5. Downstater

Downstater Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Agreed. And yes let's get back to the bike.

So is that FMF q4 available yet?!! Haha
  6. 13Moose-man

13Moose-man Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Love the looks of the fmf q4 with the megabomb header! Is anyone here in the US selling oem parts for this bike yet? Can't seem to find anything.
  7. yyz

yyz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Along with new bars, I plan to add heated grips. Has any come across an available switched power supply on the bike? My Vstrom had a two wire lead under the tank for adding heated grips. I hate cutting into a wiring harness.
  8. joec63

joec63 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

See link, Chozzer's came with factory heated grips (Japan). If this is a "World Bike" then it must be plug and play with the correct part I imagine. I'll take a look at the Service Manual tonight to see if it's mentioned.

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=18862670&postcount=525
  9. SugarDust

SugarDust Kulia i ka nu'u

Oddometer:
    It is! http://www.fmfracing.com/Products/BikeAsList/2013_HONDA_CRF250L Here's also some insight from Ramz (I added the underline):

10. Lars1974

Lars1974 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi all,

Today I had a chance to try out the CRF250L and i was waiting to see how it fares compared to my XR400.
    First comment is: I am impressed!!!

Yes its not as powerfule as the XR, but it handled the very wet lanes with ease. On road handling is fine and the tyres work ok. 6 speed box is light and precise but needs working hard if speed is what you are after....however it pulls fine away from lights and 50mph comes up quickly. 60mph is no problem as well. After that it takes time to get faster.

Here is a picture before i headed out into the lanes...nice and clean!

[​IMG]

Than it was time for a short run on the local byways. The biggest difference to the XR are the tyres. On the XR i have propper enduro tyres and they grip much better off road than the OE tyres on the L. Fueling i found was very smooth and nice, brakes are good and suspension although basic worked fine! Being over 6ft2 the bike is a tiny bit small for me...but bar risers would sort that.

Here are a few shots on the lanes...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

as you can see the bike did well and stayed even fairly clean given the wet condition out on the lanes.

Anyway, its a great tool for green laning and short commuting.
    Well worth a go.

Thanks,
    Lars
  11. Shooter83

Shooter83 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, it seems like a real winner and will fit my needs perfectly, from what I've heard so far. Just gotta build my bankroll back up before I make the buy.
  12. Downstater

Downstater Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There is a plug that's taped off and tucked up under the front left corner of the gas tank. Not sure what it is but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a factory pto circuit for just such a use. I'm away on business right now so I can't take a pic but u should be able to find it.
  13. joec63

joec63 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Didnt see any notation in the U.S. S M for heated grips. Thought at least spare wires would be on the wiring diagram but not shown. See a plug under the tank and the wiring diagram references a "Junction Box" but all wires there are terminated to ground.
  14. ramz

ramz Professional Trail Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's the DLC. You can connect the HDS pocket tester to the port and read out diagnostic codes. Chapter 4 in the Service Manual describes the procedure (37 pages). :eek1

The DLC port is shown at the bottom of the wiring diagram.
  15. TNC

TNC Candyass Camper

Oddometer:
    ramz, based on everything I see in your posts about technical issues...including the current post running on the KTM Freeride...apparently you're the only one reading the manuals. Thank you, sir.:lol3
  16. Downstater

Downstater Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Doh! Oh well, I tried.
  17. Bob80

Bob80 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just wondering where everyone is getting their service manuals? Dealers or is there a link to order them online, North America (Canada) preferred...Thanks
  18. ramz

ramz Professional Trail Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    4uuCtV likes this.
  19. mayner

mayner Postal

Oddometer:

Mine (skidplate) is scheduled to be delivered to the house by the end of the day on the 29th. The Rev/Hours meter by Tuesday of next week. Cool. ;-)
  20. G19Tony

G19Tony Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My plate will be here tomorrow. Pics tomorrow evening. :clap