Kriega USA Luggage Q&A

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by amanlikemike, Apr 2, 2012.

1. amanlikemike

amanlikemike Recovering Speedfreak

Oddometer:
    ... Looks like I'm out of a job! :cry A genuine case of the Inmates taking over the asylum. :lol3

So, right after team ftb pays me a very gratefully received and genuinely appreciated complement for just trying to live up to the quality of the brand I represent, what do I do?... Go AWOL for a few days, that's what.... So, apologies for that. :shog I did check in just before the weekend and noted your questions, but wasn't able to find enough time to post in detail (been a fair bit going on of late), which made me feel anxious until I could get some computer time today! :puke1

However, it appears that pinevalley, Dropatrotter and traveltoad did an exceptional job during my absence. :clap Hats off to you chaps - I can't tell you how much it means to have such devoted, knowledgeable and genuinely helpful folks trusting Kriega to get the job done. Thank you. I think more than a few beers are owed! :freaky

As far as I can see, the only enquiries left open are:

1. Dropatrotter's seat scrunching: A little compression is kinda unavoidable with thicker, softer saddles, but can be minimized with a bit of 'tugging 'n' tucking' and strap tensioning experiments. Chances are you could well find you won't need the top strap quite that tight. But do let me know if you can't get it how you want it and I'll see if I can suggest anything more specific.

2. Mounting other bags on the fender, with the Overlander 30 in place: The system was actually designed to offer precisely this functionality. pinevalley's standard installation (i.e. bolted on to the fender lengthwise) of the US-5 does the trick, if you only need those 5 liters on there. But there is the option to use the same two Rack Loops which secure the Overlander back straps, in combination with the other two supplied Rack Loops (which you can see fitted to the side panel of pinevalley's Husaberg) to do this:

[​IMG]

Or this:

[​IMG]

Or this:

[​IMG]

Or mount bags inline with the bike (see photo below). Or pretty much attach anything (tents, sleeping bags, duffel bags etc) using a set of 1" straps....

3. team ftb's cam buckle quandary: Thus far in R&D, product testing on extended and extremely technical rides, as well as in the experience of customers, this hasn't been an issue. However, I completely understand your concerns. But at this stage - taking into account all the incredible input from traveltoad, pinevalley and Dropatrotter - all I can really suggest is that you give it a go.

It is possible, that you may have to modify your riding style (for the very small percentage of riding time the rear area of the seat is likely to be used) slightly to accommodate luggage on a bike that is not really designed to carry it. This may prove to be a deal-breaker for some riders and a complete non-issue for others - I guess the only way to find out is to try. Regardless, I will pass on your Velcro feedback and see whether Dom (who designed the Overlander) gives me a valid reason (which he usually does!) why this was not an option.

That said, I'm pretty confident you can get a set-up that works for you with the Overlander 30. I have a lot of faith in Dom's ability to get the best possible solution and am a massive fan of Kriega kit (it's always been my kit of choice, way before I started representing the brand). So I'm never going to do a hard sell and try to convince someone to use a system that might not be quite what they want. Each to their own, 'horses for courses' and all that!

But the bottom line is that the Overlander 30 is Kriega's best shot so far at making the bike handle as well as possible while loaded up. The center of gravity is kept low and the vast majority is forward of - or in line with - the rear axle for obvious reasons. The rest is down to the rider.

Riding with luggage always requires a bit more effort than riding without it, but I think Kriega have done a pretty darn good job of minimizing this additional effort. So, let me know if you would like to give it a fair crack of the whip on a few dry test runs. If you really can't get on with it, a full refund is no problem... as long as it's clean. :rofl

Incidentally, last night, another satisfied customer was kind enough to send me this snap of his machine fully loaded with 60 liters of gear (heavier stuff in the Overlanders, lighter gear in the US packs). It might not be everyone's ideal set-up, but he says it works like a dream for disappearing off base camping in the Rockies.

Just thought I'd share because it's not easy to fit that much stuff on an Enduro without racks. And look cool at the same time! :thumb

[​IMG]

I hope I haven't missed any of the 'query crumbs' dropped from traveltoad, Dropatrotter and pinevalley's tables! Just give me a shout if I have and I'll get right back to you. And as always, if you'd rather thrash it out over the phone you can get me on 504.872.9367 most the time.

Ahhhh.. it's good to be back! :D

Cheers,

Michael
  2. HaChayalBoded

HaChayalBoded Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer:
    Something along the lines of one of the products here.
    http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/2724/Bottle-Accessory-Holders

Although you can technically use the US-5 bolt on strap setup the straps may not hold if there is something heavy in them. They make work their way loose.
  3. amanlikemike

Oddometer:
    Gotcha!

Well, as long as your panniers are 9" or more deep, an Overlander 15 could be bolted on, in the same way they attach to our ADV Platform, without too much trouble, or the need for a bracket.

[​IMG]

It's not their intended use, but I can't see why it wouldn't work.

The US-5, bolted on using a bit o' threadlock and cinched down tight, should hold fast too.
  4. HaChayalBoded

HaChayalBoded Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer:
    Any chance we can purchase those cool compression latches? I was thinking it might be a slick way of mounting a small pelican to a top rack.
  5. amanlikemike

Oddometer:
    You mean the cam lever clamps? Unfortunately, the only individual components of this hardware I have are reserved for Overlander owner spares.

Sorry 'bout that!

Michael
  6. Droptarotter

Droptarotter Long timer

Oddometer:
    ftb;

Here is a quick and dirty OL30 install on my KTM 520.

I just used some holes that were already in the rear fender and had the bags roughly installed within 1/2 hour.

I will need to finalize Rack Loop locations and find a better spot for the lower right ladder strap as it is too close to the exhaust. I think I will put a hole in my exhaust guard for the ladder strap to feed through.

When riding the 520, I use much more of the rear portion of the seat than on my 640.
    The install of the bags on the 520 is much farther back. You might be able to move the bags another couple of inches back, but I wanted them to stay on the number plates.

Hope this helps with your decision.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers
  7. Droptarotter

Droptarotter Long timer

Oddometer:

Traveltoad;

With the OL30 and a US5 or 10 installed on your 400, does the 5 or 10 interfere or release the cam straps for the OL30?

Any other comments on your install on the 400 as I am just getting into the install on my 520?

Cheers
  8. Droptarotter

Droptarotter Long timer

Oddometer:
    I finished the OL30 install on my KTM520. It is an easy install on this bike.

I did remove the inner rear fender first as I wanted the Rack Loops to only go through one piece of plastic. If they went through both inner and outer fender, there is not quite enough threads going into the Rack loop nut. Longer bolts could be used, but the complete Rack Loop system is so nice and easy to install.

I am also really impressed with how much of a pull you can give to the Rack Loops without them moving at all!

For the lower right ladder strap, I drilled and made a hole in my exhaust guard.......filed it nice and smooth......it works slick.

I also tried an install with a US10, just to see how it worked.........the hook straps work fantastic for ease of install and removal of a second bag.

I also think that the Rack Loops should be mandatory on a new bike as they are so useful.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This hole keeps the ladder strap away from the exhaust.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Holes from a previous bag were plugged with some bodywork plugs........

[​IMG]

Cheers
  9. team ftb

team ftb Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Gents some great posts containing insightful informstion:clap.

Traveltoad - Nice post. Yes the idea of the Overlander carrying its wieght below seat hieght is certainly nice in terms of bike handling and ergonomics, and one of the main reasons I'm looking at this set-up (in addition to its waterproofness). Issue is most of the pics I see of the Kriega have the bag corners jutting above the seat, which from a weight carrying ability do not bother me. However from a comfort point of view is distressing a bit as my arse shall be at that point on any tarmac.

You asked me " In many of your photos it looked like the opper portion of the Coyote was just not used, maybe to keep the seat clear? " Haha. No I've been guilty of loading the Coyote to the gills.

[​IMG]

However the more years under my belt doing long distance offroading the more I have learnt to pare down what is brought along. The above was in '09 on a month long trip, camping etc. Lucky its mild temps over here generally so I can get away with a lot less clothes than most climates. Also now I'm learning to carry a bit less.

This year on a 3 week trip with same basic gear and conditions. Not much over seat hieght, learning to get by with less.

[​IMG]

Droptarotter - Your post is th first I've seen with the bags mounted far enough back to get the darn strap near enough out of the way. Nice job!! In reference to my comments above to Traveltoad would it be possible to lower the bags to where the top corners are positioned below seat hieght? Would this induce interference anywhere on your 520:ear?

In the second pics you have with the bag on the rear fender it makes it look as though the rear strap over the seat has crept forward two inches on the seat. Is that an optical illusion of did it indeed shift?

-----------------------------------

My experience of the Dirt Bagz with their two, 2" straps supporting the weight of the bag and the Coyote where the full weight of the bag is supported by the whole bag slung over the bike leads me to my next question. The Overlander 30 bag is supported by one inch straps with what it looks like a good bit of tension on the over the seat strap. This raises a bit of concern in my eyes of the bag overstresing the seams at the corner (look at Droptarotters close up pic) and tearing away at the top corner. Since these bags have not been out for long, nor sadly have they been reviewed (by a 3rd party)after thorough long term testing (not Kreigas fault as its a new product) its difficult to triangulate on this bags long term reliability with this seam in the real world of thrashing about offroad. Mike if you can enlighten me on why I should not be concerned with this point I would be greatful as I have seen many bags pull away from their over the seat straps and had to repair in the field..

I'm just a consumer looking to make informed decisions, nothing more. Please don't regard my posts as nitpicking Kreigas products. I can read all the flowery hype about Kreiga products anyplace, however in my eyes I've found many flaws and missed points in products that I have read gushing reviews, including on this forum, and just looking to address any potential issues that raise concern with me. The Kriega products I have sampled have all been wonderfully stitched and manufactured, and only some design issues have kept me from more of their products. Just looking to gain insight on the Overlander 30 as I have a need for luggage again at this point.

I'll also be looking for a larger hydration pack so will be checking out Kreigas options as well.

As always thanks to the posters as you inmates are a great wealth of info:clap.
  10. amanlikemike

Oddometer:
    I understand your concerns, but there no need to worry about that happening. This is where the Kriega difference come in to play! Instead of the straps being simply stitched on to the bag, like most other conventional panniers out there, the strap system is bolted onto the back of the bag, via stainless eyelets and fasteners. The back of the bags are heavily reinforced and can handle the tension easily. This arrangement also allows the bags to pivot so there is not torsional stress on any part / seam / material at any time. Like this (set in the background is the 30 - the 60 is in the foreground):

[​IMG]

Plus, we have a 10-year warranty against that type of nonsense any way! :D

No worries, mate. I totally get where you're coming from and it makes sense to do as much research as possible on important equipment which - if it's not up to scratch - has the potential to life on the bike much more difficult than it should be. Kriega gear isn't for everyone, but those that do have it seem pretty happy with their choice. Sure, certain products may not be considered perfect by some, which is probably due to it being impossible to please all of the people all of the time. But - in the case of the Overlander 30 - it is pretty darn close to its brief, which was to offer high quality, lightweight, adjustable, reliable, effective and easy-to-use, off-road cargo carrying capacity to as wide a range of Enduro stye bikes and riders as possible, with the pros dramatically outweighing any potential cons.

And speaking of the Hydro-3... you should have a far easier time of it when deciding whether or not to get one. That product right there is one of those rare, rare breeds, so far head of the competition that it's a bona fide no-brainer! :wink:

Cool pics, by the way!

Cheers,

Michael
  11. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    I can play with the bags this weekend and see about moving them around (forward/back/up/down)... but so far, it seems that the top corner or the Overland30 bags will poke up over the seat a bit. I will check that this weekend. That said, if the bags are not stuffed full right to the top, they will compress down a bit.

As for the buckle on the seat question. While I completely understand wanting the seat clear of the buckle. I would question why you want to try to move the weight so far back on the bike. One of the things I really like about the Overlander30 is that it allows the weight to be lower and more central than many other systems. Is it possible to just have the buckle more in the middle of the seat and on your highway jaunts you can move "over" and behind the buckle?
  12. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    As I look at the back of the Overlander30 (Michaels last photo)... I will bet that once you get the seat strap adjusted, you could measure it and replace it with a one-piece strap. No buckle at all.
  13. Droptarotter

Droptarotter Long timer

Oddometer:
    ftb;

That's no illusion that the top strap has moved forward on my 520. I was playing around with the tail pack and different mounting options. And getting tired/hungry!

One of the nice things about the OL30 is that it is easy to move the settings. All I have to do to get the bag farther back and lower is move the "rung" that the lower ladder strap is in. It only takes a couple of minutes to get the bags in the location you need.

I also have the Hydro 3............100oz of fluid and a little room for some power bars......but the best thing is the backpack just seems to disappear when donned.......it's another one of those products that you think..................why didn't I get this sooner????

Hey Mike..................when do Traveltoad and myself get our commission checks??:rofl:
  14. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    You didn't get yours?
  15. Av8rPaul

Av8rPaul Have bike will travel

Oddometer:
    Subscribing to this thread. I've had many varieties of bags over the years and had thought the perfect solution to all my needs were the Gobi's I had on my '04 950 Adventure. I love the function and capacity but after reading about the Overlander 60 setup I find that when I pick up another KTM to replace the '04 that this is going to be at the top of the list for my back country adventure kit! This Kriega stuff rocks!
  16. amanlikemike

Oddometer:
    Thanks for subscribing, fella!

It's always great to have gentlemen of impeccable taste, such as your good self, on-board. :D

Let me know if I can be of assistance at any point.

Cheers,

Michael
  17. team ftb

team ftb Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer:

Thank you Michael for clearing my concerns on the strap attachment, that rotating strap capability alleviates a lot of directional stress on the strap. Nice stuff.

I've been pondering the idea of doing away with the overseat buckle itself and replace it w/3 inch velcro for adjsutment. The pull of the bags on the Velcro will be from a direction that the Velcro will be at its strongest.......just not sure if it will be strong enough. Traveltoad mentioned once I get the bags set-up and adjusted to where I need I may be able to get away with plain strap and no adjustment. Hmmmm. Now would no adjustment work at this point if set-up for one bike only once dialed in?? Can solely relying on the rear fender mount adjusmtent be enough with this system if used on one bike?? Or is this adjustment needed to secure the bags onto the bike at all times?

Of course Droptarotters post has them mounted far enough back that the strap should(?) be out of the way enough. When you get them loaded and riding around offroad Droptarotter give us some feedback on the new location.

Thanks guys.
  18. Droptarotter

Droptarotter Long timer

Oddometer:
    ftb;

I'll set mine up, remove them by only undoing the rear straps............then see if I can remount them by only adjusting the rear straps. That might let you know if a non adjustable over the seat strap will work for you.

I won't be able to give a full report for a couple of months.........first ride might be to Death Valley at the end of March??

Cheers
  19. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    Should be a bunch of Kriega stuff there...
  20. amanlikemike

Oddometer:
    I can't see any immediate issue with switching out the cam strap for a set length of webbing (which I can send you), once you've got the system set perfectly for the one bike it'll be used on. To do this, it would just be a case of removing the fasteners on the two-part cam strap, folding over the ends of the webbing to 4 x thickness and punching in the appropriately sized stainless eyelets. Then just refit the fasteners and you should be good to go.

The only question mark I have at this stage is to whether this will affect the rider's ability to adjust the pack position based on different loads. Dropatrotter's experiment should definitely shed more light on it and I'll be doing something similar next week, when my bike arrives. I'll probably even take it a step further and knock up a set strap just to know for sure.

Cheers,

Michael