Kawasaki J300 Scooter

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by k3ith, Oct 7, 2013.

1. John Bentall

John Bentall Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The largest market for scooters in Europe, namely Italy, is still in the middle of a horrific recession (sales down 46% from 2012). That scooter market is completely tied down by Honda, Piaggio and Yamaha.

So I would assume that this scooter is destined for the Asian and Indian markets and will probably be produced locally rather than in Japan.

Re the USA: Can anyone here imagine members of the general public (rather than members of this forum) going to a Kawasaki dealer for a scooter?
  2. cbolling

cbolling Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer:
    I don't see this as an issue. Seems like most of the dealers in the US sell Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, and Kawasaki. Or some combination of this group. The Kawasaki scooter would be on the floor right next to the Honda Scooter.
  3. k3ith

k3ith Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's my thought. I know of a few Honda dealers that only sell Hondas, but I can't say I've ever noticed a Yamaha or Suzuki dealership that didn't sell Kawasakis. If you put this thing on the floor between a Forza and a Burgman it'll get some attention.
  4. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wish it could come to Mexico.. but California is close enough!

Looks nice, we will wait and see

Damasovi
  5. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    I think it looks a bit like the old Gilera Nexus. Looks pretty good to me.
  6. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
  7. longhaul747

longhaul747 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Now that I think about it this scooter coming from Kymco makes the most sense. Historically Kawasaki has had very little interest in scooters if any at all. Seems odd they would kick start it now.

I am thinking it some kind of cross marketing scheme in select markets. Kymco using the might of Kawasaki to sell more scooters and for Kawasaki to attract scooter riders to its name. It will probably work well in those markets they try it in for both parties.

Honestly I don't see this Kawasaki branded Kymco making it to the states but then again maybe I am wrong. Usually I am but that is my thinking.

One thing I would like to see improved is overall MPG. Scooters as we know are pretty good but I think they could be better. If 5,000 pound pick up trucks are now getting 23+ MPG's and compact cars getting 40 MPG and many mid sized cars now pushing 30 + MPG's I don't see how a 400 pound scooter could not be improved. I know longer feel so special when my Majesty 400 gets 57 MPG for example.

I know improving MPG takes technology witch cost money but a lot of this tech is not really all that expensive anymore and its not like scooters are bargain priced as it is most of the time. If the manufactures were to really put their mind to it they can create a 300 to 400cc scoot that can achieve 125 to 150 MPG if not better. Seems far fetched but I think it could be done.

I recently read an article about camless engines. They can be built relatively cheap now and be very reliable. They will improve efficiency by up to 40% they say. Honda is looking to incorporate this design in future cars as part of a pledge to double the fuel economy ratings on its cars. Seems odd but its likely coming they say.

Now days it would probably be very easy to develop a small single cylinder engine using this technology and the economy ratings would probably be very good.
  8. John Bentall

Oddometer:
    I was talking earlier about the Italian scooter market. Here are the latest statistics for 2013 year-to-date:
    http://www.ancma.it/uploads/Statistiche/Immatricolazioni/moto-settembre-2013.pdf

Hope you find it interesting....

BMW were going to attack the T-Max in its home territory with the "C" series scoots...so where are they on the list?

John
  9. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    Because of the recession in Europe, Spain and Italy have seen their 2 wheeled sales crumble. As a result, France is now the number one European country for sales of motorcycles and scooters. The Tmax is the best selling maxi scooter over there. Piaggio 3-wheelers (MP3) out sell motorcycles and scooters.
  10. cbolling

cbolling Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer:
    ??? Really
  11. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    Yes because you don't need a motorcycle license to ride them. You just need a regular driver's license.
  12. wheelbender6

wheelbender6 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As the late George Carlin said, we love to carry all our "stuff". The J300, in stock trim, has a lot more storage space than a Ninja.
  13. EtowahKLR

EtowahKLR Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    One of the European sites has indicated that the Kawasaki 300 is a collaboration with Kymco based on their City 300. Kymco has been doing engine manufacturing for Kawasaki and other big name manufacturers lately, so I guess it makes sense. No major investment and they get to test their brand in the market.
  14. John Bentall

Oddometer:
    He's right about the popularity of the MP3s in France

http://www.csiam-fr.org/documents/20130911_6.pdf

Take no notice that the R1200GS is in the under 125cc category..... :D
  15. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    Cool! Looks like the PCX is # 8 and the Grom is # 43. Not bad considering it came out in the Spring.
  16. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  17. fzrspirit

fzrspirit n00b

Oddometer:
    The link states the above pictured Kawi is a 112cc scoot--known as the Curve. I only wish a 300cc engine would get shoe-horned into these smaller sized scoots. The bigger scoots are always too porky.
  18. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    It's a misprint. It's a Piaggio MP3 LT 500. I think it LT has to do with the length between the front wheels. I think it qualifies as a trike or something like that.
  19. 16873

16873 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Curious to how close of a copy this will be to the Downtown 300i as it says on the press release that the engine and chassis will be sourced from that bike.
  20. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    Same bike, just a re-design. Yawn.